Reliability of P13 bus?

Hi Renata,

I take it to go to West Dulwich Station from Grove Tavern Stop daily. The 7:28 is okay and not as packed but the 2 after that have so many people that it usually has to drive by. It is also usually 5 min late.

Thanks for trying to sort out for us!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to use the P13 from time to time - never in the morning or at peak time.

My general tactic is to arrive at least five minutes before the next one is due, but be prepared to wait up to 30 minutes (which has happened on a number of occasions) from that point - despite the bus frequency being supposedly around 20m.

I can forward you a selection of increasingly angry text messages, cursing the very name 'P13', sent to my girlfriend as I wait, if you like.

I need to get from the Goose Green area to West Dulwich station & arrive by a certain time (mid-morning, not peak.)

I've used the P13 twice this week & both times, it has only been a few minutes late.

Reading this thread has somewhat put me off, as it looks as if I've been lucky so far, but am not going to be able to rely on it.

The other option is a 37 to Herne Hill, followed by a 3 to West Dulwich.

A longer way round, but probably more reliable?

Your thoughts, please...

Has anyone done this alternative route regularly?

Really don't want to be getting stressed about being late, waiting for a bus that isn't going to arrive.

Yesterday afternoon I was walking down LL by Underhill Road and a young woman asked me how to get to West Dulwich station, I told her to get the P13 from The Grove. Was told that "it ain't running mate"

What if any publicity was given in Underhill Road and Whateley Road for those to get the P13 from either The Grove or East Dulwich Police Station as an alternative?

It's only a couple of miles from Goose Green to West Dulwich. By the time you wait 5 minutes for a bus that isn't the fastest anyhow, you might be quicker walking. And at least, you'd not be stressing about being late since you'd be more confident of your arrival time. Perhaps something to consider for sunny days at least... unless of course, you have limited mobility or have a double bass to transport with you...

Pfft. Some 12 years ago my friend who lived on Barry Road used to rely on the P13 to get her to work in Streatham. Even then we used to refer to it as the Marie Celeste, so elusive was it. I have tried to use it more recently to get to Surrey Quays, which turned out to be frustrating and time consuming. As others have suggested, I now ride a bicycle for such journeys, much simpler, quicker, cheaper and less stressful.

I'm sure you could get a saxophone into a pannier even in a hard case, although if this turns out to be tricky, surely your son doesn't need to take it to and from school with him every day? Maybe he could just take the bus when he needs to transport bulky items.

• 11 months later...

TfL freedom of information request should get this information.

All those taps of all those oyster cards are meticulously logged for purposes such as this. and fancy graphs that are somewhat fudged to make them look good like these: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/businessandpartners/buses/boroughreports/routes/performance-route-P13.pdf

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To have the P13 formally reviewed mid contract

> about its capacity would require evidence of

> overcrowding.

> Southwark Council doesn't have the resources for

> this type of data collection.

> Does anyone on this forum regularly catch this

> service who could note down the numbers of

> passengers at different points on their journey?

> Any parents who could encourage an A level

> geographer to record this?With real evidence we

> can do something much as the users of the 343

> (Evolution Quarter Residents Association) have.

• 2 years later...

Sorry, this is a really old thread but I can't find anything more up to date!

I was just wondering whether anyone had any recent experiences of the P13 and how reliable it is? We would be looking to use it for the school run in the mornings from Bellenden Road to West Dulwich, and then back again at the end of the day, so we need it to be reasonably reliable. Are the times given on TFL accurate at all, and do the buses generally arrive at the bus stop at the scheduled time? For example it currently says the 8.04 from Bellenden Road arrives 8.36?

Would be really grateful for anyone's views on this.

Thank you!

P13 is not the most reliable, you get two in 5 mins and then nothing for 25-30 mins. Also they seem to bear no resemblence to the time table at all. I use the Bus Countdown app on my pohne to check when it is coming rather than wait outside for ages.