Route to the M1

I've got to the M1 near Barnet in under an hour before on a Sat at this time. Vauxhall Bridge, Hyde Pk Corner, Park Lane, Edgware Road and then cut through at Kilburn up towards Barnet.

However it has also taken me over 2 hours doing the route in reverse just a few hours later so bear in mind you are at the mercy of roadworks and central London traffic. The other alternative might be getting onto the M4 and get out onto the M25 and then the M1 from there.

A nightmare what ever you choose tbh.

Avoid edgeware rd & Kilburn - far too much traffic in Kilburn. I usually go via Waterloo bridge, tunnel under aldwych, eversholt st, camden, finchley road (A41) to Brent Cross.

There's no easy option - you have to cross central London. Take satnav in case you get diverted. And never attempt the Holloway Road route, the traffic jams are infinite.

Best advice is to leave earlier if you can. There are a lot of speed restrictions on M1 at the moment, the later you leave the worst everything is london and the M1...I leave on a Saturday around 9am and its fine. I find the best way is over vauxhall bridge, marble arch, down the edgware road, then turn right by lords cricket ground as you get to the canal and little venice, so do not follow M1 signs at the lights there, as Kilburn is stop start traffic, and a nightmare at any time...takes me an hour to get onto the M1 with the this route and timing.

Interesting to see the variations. I live just by Peckham Rye and take an east City route over Tower Bridge, Commercial Street, Great Eastern, Hoxton, New North Road, Holloway Road/A1, cross the North Circular etc. Again it takes an hour in my frequent experience with the key risk area being Emirates Stadium. I find the east City return journey in paritcular much more reliable esp on a Sunday evening when west City traffic seems much worse.

toptotty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I find the best way is

> over vauxhall bridge, marble arch, down the

> edgware road, then turn right by lords cricket

> ground

nice thinking. I will try this next time I need the M1.

Thanks guys, I will give one of these a shot. i dont think it would be too bad if I could leave earlier but unfortunately it is out of my hands.

Someone else suggested going through the Blackwall tunnel and up to the M25 and around, has anyone tried that at all?

I live near Peckham Rye and usually do the Blackwall tunnel, M11, M25, M1 route. It's longer in distance than going through town but less frustrating as less stop /start and usually therefore a bit quicker. We did this last Sunday mid morning and got to J13 of the M1 in 1 hr 45 from home. There was trouble on the M25 coming back early evening though so came back through town past Kings Cross and over Blackfriars Bridge - took 2.5 hrs.

I always take the A40/North Circular route. When u get marble arch instead of going up the edgware road, turn left following signs for Bayswater and then follow signs 'A40 Oxford'. Then go onto the A406 North Circular and then pick up the M1 from there. I find it a lot faster then going up the Edgeware Road.

Similar to richfish, Rat run through Bermondsey, Tower Hill, Aldgate, Old Street, Finsbury Park roundabout, Holloway Rd, North Circular, A1. Averages one hour every time. I've tried every other route and still think this is the best.

edresi10 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Someone else suggested going through the Blackwall

> tunnel and up to the M25 and around, has anyone

> tried that at all?

yes many times. Rotherhithe tunnel is much better from Dulwich - much shorter route and less traffic, though the A13 is irritating. The Blackwell tunnel suffers from bottlenecks and crossing Greenwich etc is long and slow, but early Saturday may be quiet. Once you're onto the A12 (whichever tunnel you've used) you make amazingly swift profess across NE London. But it's a long way back west on the M25, so you don't save time. More relaxing than navigating central London though.