Aircraft noise - have your say...

SplendidLikePeckham

I'm finding the oppressive silence a little twitchy I must say. JNot to mention I have far too many windows that faces loom in at.

Aaaanyway, I suggest the naysayers leave the obsessives to their impending coronaries.

You've tried pointing them at real data, you've attempted to persuade them of the futility or NIMBYism of their struggles, you've even attempted to poijnt them in the direction of changing their relationship with noise (or london) to no avail; move on to the cycle thread, there's far too much peace and harmony there.

There may be an explanation...

Is it possible 1/2 1/4 or less of East Dulwich was on the flight path (so everyone who says it's been like this for years would be in that area of ED) and now the flight path has moved further south it covers more or all of East Dulwich and probably some of Dulwich Village and west Dulwich too?

Could that explain why some of us are now suffering and some of us have learnt to live with it?

I know as I live and breath for me it was never previously like this could it be connected with the Brockley trial?

Did they move it back only not back to where it was before??

Still very strange how some people who say they have no issue poke those of us who do ....

Herne Hill Guest Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> HPsaucey you need to get a white noise machine

> with a snooze button. He hits it when the planes

> come over or I suppose you could set a white noise

> timer for 4.30ish. Should send him off to sleep

> again.

Another good idea- thanks - much appreciated.

H

Ah the old deal with the effects rather than the cause ... FFS

you

Could also build a sound proof room with no windows and with air conditioning.

Or excavate a basement room similarly sound proofed and sleep everyone underground.

Definitely good options if you insist on living in East Dulwich.

Some other options.

4 layer sound proof glass

Soundproofed loft space

Soundproofed internal walls

Sound deflectors hanging from the outside of the property

Plant dense trees leylandii would be ideal planted in the front and rear garden as many as possible 600 mm apart and allow them to grow higher than the property

A sound bubble covering sleeping area

Other options anyone ?

I'm for the pragmatic approach of fighting the battle on all fronts.

HP, you guessed it.... There's an app for that!! (several, in fact).

Or there's a machine for around ?16.00 on eBay or you could try a CD on repeat.

But.... as the man said "Don't give up the fight!"

"we shall fight them by petition, we shall fight them on the forum, we shall fight them by application! We shall never surrender! "

The child needs to sleep, fazer, much more so than you and me.

This is why I think this fight is important. If it's lost there will be no going back and our grand/kids should rightly curse us for being so short-sighted and apathetic. Stress is an insidious thing; not being consciously aware of something does not mean it's not stressing us out, especially at critical times in the sleep cycle.

fabfor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The child needs to sleep, fazer, much more so than

> you and me.

>

> This is why I think this fight is important. If

> it's lost there will be no going back and our

> grand/kids should rightly curse us for being so

> short-sighted and apathetic. Stress is an

> insidious thing; not being consciously aware of

> something does not mean it's not stressing us out,

> especially at critical times in the sleep cycle.

I totally agree with you.

The time has come to build a new airport which doesn't result in aircraft flying over millions of people causing constant stress and disturbance, afaik Heathrow is unique in the developed world no other major city has aircraft flying over densely populate cities.

The rouble we have is persuading a lot of add people who THINK we are nutters but they are normal !/

Hacan's facebook page: Report launched yesterday in the house of commons exposing out of date under-assessment of aircraft noise nuisance.

Here:http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/9193/anase_update_study

Check out the facebook page for more action.

Yes here a letter from the leader of Wandsworth Council

Getting the measure of aircraft noise

(This email received by Wandworth Council today. They are taking action against Heathrow expansion)

?Yesterday Wandsworth Council and the all-party 2M Group launched an independent noise report in the House of Commons which challenges the way Sir Howard Davies and his Airports Commission are measuring the impact of aircraft noise.

?The 'ANASE update study' highlights the inadequacy of the existing 57 decibel noise benchmark which the Commission is using as the basis for recommending additional runway capacity.

?According to this benchmark Putney, Wandsworth Town and Battersea are not affected by noise from aircraft. We all know this is complete fantasy

We first submitted the updated ANASE study to Davies In September 2013. We have also highlighted the volume of noise complaints from residents in Wandsworth and other places outside of the 57 decibel area.

?The Commission has not engaged with us over this crucial evidence. As a result it is able to propose more night flights over Wandsworth as well as shortlist Heathrow as a potential site for a new runway.

?Our launch of the ANASE report at the Commons will make it harder for Davies to ignore its findings.

?We now need residents to join our campaign for a fair deal on noise. You can write to Davies, write to the Transport Secretary, come to our public meetings and ask your neighbours to do the same.

?It was public pressure that forced the abandonment of previous runway plans in 2010. Send your first email today and we can win this battle again.?

Ravi Govindia,

Leader of Wandsworth Council

What is your problem StraferJack?

Ok the noise doesn't bother you?well aren't you the lucky one!

Perhaps you could demonstrate some understanding, or even sympathy to those of us that are troubled by it.

And no of course its not life threatening, but it does affect some people's lives adversely.

Bingo? Bizarre.

Totally bizarre.

Why would someone who doesn't have a problem with aircraft noise insult someone who does?

Completely bizarre.

Today Sunday after yesterdays lovely quite morning/day. I was woken at 4.35am by the usual rumble and scream. Anyone trying to enjoy todays heatwave expect the intrusion of jet aircraft whilst on the Rye or in the Park.

Compared with yesterdays lovely quite.

Those of us who aren't deaf will definitely notice the noise.

Oh please! You just don't get it do you?

We are talking about the increase in plane activity over the area, and the noise that that has caused, which disturbs a lot of people, particularly at night/early morning. No question it has increased since I've been living in this house.

Its a beautiful spring Sunday now.It would be nice to hear the birdsong. The planes have been streaming overhead since 6am.

Straferjack?SJ?boy.

I think you are just on here to try and provoke reaction. Maybe you get some kind of kick out of it?

I ain't playing.

I'm a relatively new visitor to this site, but I can already see that its one of the more negative sides of the East Dulwich Forum, and I don't want the issue to get sidelined into some personal slanging match. So I've made my point and I'm out of here.

I am not trolling in the slightest

i am pointing out how you are saying it's a huge issue, but basically noone else is joining in

Several people are trying to present facts and their own experience to highlight how out of proportion you have this issue but you are having none of it

But pointing out how extreme your view is doesn't make me a troll - you do understand that don't you?

there are a TINY number of people posting about the noise on here. Miniscule. You evoke a scene in the park where people can't enjoy the sun. Where ARE these people? Why are they not posting on here?

fazer - "Why would someone who doesn't have a problem with aircraft noise insult someone who does? "

what's with the accusation - insulted you? how so?

Sj, just stop for a moment and think. Did you notice that people who had remained silent previously reacted to your post? How many more are there? And your rants are probably discouraging peaceable people from posting.

Please pause And think.

And even supposing you're 100% correct, why are you here?? Just for a fight? Surely you must have better things to do...

Why not take El pibe's advice and move on?