Aircraft noise - have your say...

SplendidLikePeckham

In theory it should reduce noise, but for ED I think the problem is that a lot of flights bank into final approach overhead, so there's greater engine noise.

I know heathrow are looking at steeper descents - that would make a big difference if flights were an extra 1500 ft higher.

I was gardening with someone yesterday afternoon, just near The Cambria Camberwell/Herne Hill border. Although we were only one metre away from each other we did actually have to raise our voices to be heard when the planes were directly overhead.

Although I do my best to ignore it, it does bother me constantly when I'm in my garden and often wakes me early in the morning. I've just come on here to have a little moan so please don't offer to come round to check that I'm not an obsessive.

Have to admit I was out walking the baby to sleep on Friday. He was almost there a few times, then a plane came along and I was back to square one. I'm used to the din I suppose, but when I go to my mums I do really enjoy the silence of where she lives. The planes are loud, but some are better at tuning out than others. It's not that pleasant having a constant din and I do think the situation is getting worse as I have no memories of planes waking my first...

wavyline girl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> FYI

> There are two threads on this subject, and people

> may be missing out on valuable information which

> may be found on the other strand.

-----------------------------------------

Re: It's 4.30am and the heathrow flight path appears to be in use

Posted by wavyline girl Yesterday, 08:47AM

If anyone has any doubts about the level of air traffic, maybe they should come round now and look out my window.

It has been constant since the early hours of the morning, one plane isn't out of sight before the next one comes over.

The noise is continuous at peak periods.

Fabfor,I have written to my local mp (Harriet Harman)about the issue.

I can't find the email address you mention, so I was unable to send you a copy.

----------------------------------------------

Posted by hpsaucey Yesterday, 09:49AM

Had the same - been up since 5:30 (not because of planes just up early) but know they woke my eldest... Some really loud ones around six as I was sitting on the balcony - not good a plane spotting so can't say what they were). You'd certainly be raising your voice (not shouting quite) to have yourself heard by someone next to you)! I have a fairly clear skyline for abour 180 degrees of sky so can see them coming in just about constantly from the E/NE... We're east wide of Peckham Rye Common. I was interested in the other thread's thoughts about the variations within localities as perhaps a partial explanation for the widely varying 'experience' the noise they generate.. Where are you wavyline girl??? HP

-----------------------------------------------

Posted by jimmyraj Yesterday, 01:41PM

@hpsaucey - we're near Copleston Road / Choumert Road and it's particularly noisy - mainly because it seems to be on the curve of where they bank into the Heathrow approach from the south and often seems to be when they're putting down the flaps to slow, so I assume that generates some of the extra noise over this area.

-----------------------------------------------

Posted by Sue Yesterday, 02:46PM

wavyline girl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If anyone has any doubts about the level of air

> traffic, maybe they should come round now and look out my window.

> It has been constant since the early hours of the

> morning, one plane isn't out of sight before the

> next one comes over.

xxxxxxx

We were in Horniman Gardens today between 5 and 6.15pm (dawn chorus walk) and at one point you could see about six planes in the sky at once in various places and at various heights, including very low (sad smiley).

-------------?-------------------------------

Posted by fabfor Today, 10:01AM

Hi guys, it's heartening to see that we share the same experience of this noise nuisance. Wouldn't it be better to have just one thread though? Since the other thread is more active, perhaps that should be the one?

I'm not admin on here so these are just my thoughts.

Either way, I'll try to copy your posts to the other active thread-"aircraft noise, have your say"; wish me luck..

For a minute I thought I was in the East Dulwich issues section.

Not surprised this was lounged.

The only time I can remember really noticing the noise from planes was during one of the Shakespeare on the Rye productions when a few planes went by in fairly quick succession. Other than that, it wasn't any more noticeable or distracting than other city noises (to me anyway).

Just thought I'd highlight that Heathrow is owned by a selection of a Spanish infrastructure company, the governments of Qatar, Singapore and China and the pension funds of academics / civil servants in Canada and the UK (finally a UK locus!). These are the big winners from Heathrow, not Londoners. It is quite possible to be able to fly around the world by using a hub elsewhere. For New York from Manchester, Dublin offers a better service now than Heathrow particularly with US immigration in Eire.

We are in thrall to rentiers who value the index-linked income which flows from owning Europe's main airplane hub. But the fact is, this hub could be anywhere and most Londoners would barely notice. Ideally, we could keep it in the UK but not flying 80,000,000 people over the roofs of 3,500,000 people. Let's do this before we gift them another runway.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I used to reside beside Edinburgh Airport - okay, not overly busy like Heathrow, but busy enough. I got used to the noise. Then, I lived in the Philippines for some years, near Cebu Airport - it never stops. They don't have any stoppage times on the flights in the Philippines and they run right through the night and early morning. Now that's what I call a nightmare!