Bra fitting

After 14 months of breastfeeding nearly five years ago and a further 6 (and counting) this time around I am left with breasts of unequal size. The babies (and me) probably favoured the right one too much and I think it may be a full cup size larger than the left. Before the (2nd) pregnancy I was a 32D now I have no idea.

Can anyone recommend a really good fitting service that may be able to deal with this? I imagine I would have to go for the larger bra and perhaps use padding on the left? I have been to John Lewis and Selfridges in the past but had mixed results.

I won't be going until I completely stop breastfeeding but when I do I need to buy all new bras. None of my old ones will fit.

this is quite a common problem,and may change again anyway. i think john lewis is good if you make an appointment and explain your dilemma.your tightness of your bra strap can affect how you "fit in". the original rigby and peller in knightsbridge used to be really good too, but now there are a lot of branches and they seem to be staffed by young women, who I frnakly doubt have enough experience. good luck.

I've found the staff at Bravissimo near Oxford Circus to be brilliant. They have loads of different styles to choose from and if they don't have something in the size/colour you need they'll order it then and there to be delivered to your home address. Good luck

Seconding Bravissimo - I use the one in Covent Garden & just got fitted this weekend for some industrial upholstery in anticipation of breast explosion when the baby arrives in a few weeks. Very knowledgeable staff & an unhurried, no sales-pressure service.

Rigby and Peller in Knightsbridge. Well worth the extra dosh and you can always go and get cheaper ones in the right size once you know it. I don't think Bravissimo are bad but they use a lot of under support and harder materials to do the lift that R&p do with much softer and nicer ones- they also measure bigger than R&P.

If you are a cup size under DD you will be able to get much cheaper bras there - its' once you are into the bigger cups that it gets expensive.

You will still need to get them to measure you every time you go for a new bra as size changes all the time, though cup not back size.

Agree about branches! don't like sloane square branch, feels like a franchise.

Knightsbridge will only sell you the perfect fit.

I used Rigby & Peller Bluewater a couple of months after I'd given up feeding my first. They were fantastic, my appointment started bang on time and nothing was too much trouble. I spent a small fortune on new bras and then promptly got pregnant again! Ooops.

The fitting studio are excellent, I went there when I was pregnant with Cheeky S, and then when I'd been bf him for 6 months, and I've just been back again for more comfy bras. I also had the same problem; me and S favoured one boob over the other and for a long time one side was a 32E and the other was a C. Ack. All evened out in the end though...

after trying john lewis bluewater (post breast feeding) rigby and peller (blue water) for bridal underwear......I found that good old Marks and Spencer were the best they are very professional.

I didnt feel comfortable standing topless at john lewis and rigby and peller !!

They do a bra fitting service upstairs in Pretty Pregnant on Northcross Road...I found it really good.

I have uneven boobs and I'm not sure that you can do that much to compensate it, but I the woman in there said most people have this to some extent. The woman who measured me was lovely and I did get a very well fitting and beautiful 'Hot Milk' bra from them. Saved a trip into town towing 2 kids, so I was extra delighted...

Another +1 for the fitting studio. I have been to see her 3 times during pregnancy, breast feeding and then deflation old puppy dogs ears*, and everytime she has fitted me with something that fits properly and actually looks like a nice bra!

*sorry, probably too much info....

being a former trained bra fitter i hate to say anything negative but AVOID marks and spencer at all costs. honestly, I am surprised that anyone can have a positive experience in there. one to one clothes off can feel very uncomfortable but to be 100% honest it's the only way to get a true fit.

also, tape measure: not needed at all, in fact is more of a hinderance and can make the whole exerience feel even more intense. i worked for a chain mentioned above where they believe in 'sight fitting' because ultimately it's the only way of judging if a bra works for you. just like jeans: we all have a size but different cuts look different each time.

the only places that i trust to measure in london are selfridges, bravissimo and R&P. if you are unhappy with a young assistant just ask for an older person. proof: M&S 34DD, actual and correctly measured by above 3 30FF.

for fitting yourself the golden rules are:

-Around the back the bra should be tight, not leaving marks but not slipping up your back. this is the anchor to your support and therefore the new bra should fit when on the last hooks so as it stretches through wear and washing it can be tightened. there may be a slight bulge when you put your arms down, this is natural.

-Your boobs should not in any way poke out of the cup.

-If your boobs are poking up go up a cup size and down a back size.

-If the bar is riding up your back go down a back size and up a cup size....

A balconette bra will always be slightly tighter but give you a nice plunge without the chicken fillets!

Full cup is a more traditional fit and tends to be more generous.

There is a brilliant LOCAL shop called The Fitting Studio, based in Forest Hill; http://www.thefittingstudio.co.uk/

They are fantastic - Kyra and Ann, and fit D cups plus with great stock.

I've been a customer since they opened about 5 years ago and can't recommend them enough.

You should call to make a (free) appointment. They will look at you and know pretty much instantly what your size is. I was in there yesterday and Kyra told me that lots of Health Visitors are recommending them - lots of their customers are currently pregnant or breastfeeding mums.

They are a minute's walk from Forest Hill Station.

I agree I found the fitting studio in Forest Hill great.Actually I cant remember if the lady did use a tape measure but she definately has the knack of looking at you and assessing your size.Shes really lovely too.Went there when I was breast feeding and never looked back-best fitting bras I have ever had !Even got a super supportive sports bra. Best to make an appoint.