School coaches Townley Road

Asset

Yes we did discuss engine-running which Leslie knows is a problem. All drivers are aware of the policy but enforcing it is difficult for the Coaches' small team of three as they cannot regularly be on site outside Alleyn's. He has to rely on people asking the drivers to turn off their engines, and asks that he is made aware of persistent problems:

[email protected].

Parents also wait with engines running, so it would help if the Council's banners about polluting the air outside schools could be displayed on Alleyn's railings, as would regular visits by traffic wardens.

Townleygreen, parents will park wherever they want. I live near the new Harris primary school and some of the parking there has to be seen to be believed. I went to one of the meetings when the school was still allegedly at the discussion stage ( it turns out it had already opened on a temporary site) and pointed out that there were no parking provisions for staff or parents. I was told that staff and parents would be told that they would not be allowed to drive to the school and would HAVE to walk, take the bus or cycle! I laughed at the man who stated this!

I've just been through this mess today. All the above regarding rude coach drivers, too little parking, parked coaches forcing traffic around islands, reduced visibility and queues of cars is correct. It's not just inconvenient, it's unnecessarily dangerous. Rant over till next time.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it being suggested that Foundation Schools'

> Coach Service Manager, Leslie Okyne, is not

> capable of doing the job?

Absolutely not by me edhistory! We were grateful that he found time to explain his role and the constraints he faces to residents. He manages the day to day running of the coach service covering all three Foundation Schools, taking the flak of complaints from drivers, parents living as far afield as Kensington and Canary Wharf and local residents.

The responsibility for sorting out the chaos and congestion lies far above his pay grade, and should be acknowledged by Southwark Council, senior management at the coach service, and the Foundation Schools, particularly Alleyn's, getting together to come up with a long term solution.

11.20am today,traffic was backed up to the traffic lights at east Dulwich grove and Dulwich village. because of coaches parked outside Alleyn's and a cement mixer couldn't get passed so nothing could turn into Towny rd.

Come on Alleyn's wake up and smell the roses

Regarding Townley Road and cars parked with engines running.....just walked dog round the block along Townley. On outward journey saw chap in people carrier, reading while parked up, no lights on but engine running. I walked past and glared at him. But return journey, 20 minutes later, plucked up courage to ask him to turn his engine off. I explained how polluting idling engines were, and said that being to near to a school was especially significant. He told me that it was a Sunday, so it didn't matter. I politely explained that I live here every day of that week and also told him that there was to be a campaign about school coaches and air quality in Townley Road. He asked me what they were supposed to do and what century did I live in. I told him he was a selfish man, and I walked away....still with his engine running. I HATE having to confront thick headed, selfish people.

Ps I did confirm he was waiting for his child but not sure if it was from Alleyn's or JAGS. All advice gratefully received.

The Townley Road motorist who kept his engine running on Sunday is an example of the "screw you!" attitude that is so prevalent today and which is wrecking this country. The only way that he would change his ways would be if he was hit in the pocket, although then he would go on about the "nanny state" and "this is why we are leaving the EU" and the like.

Hi ZT,

Southwark Council is about to implement - having made the Traffic Management Order in May, parking enforcement officers being allowed to warn and then if necessary issue tickets for people leaving motor vehicles engines running.

Hi Asset,

The private school coach services makes Dulwich private schools more feasible and attractive for families from a much wider area. Many families will have selected these school on this basis. So it is beholden on the schools to make this service work well for all parties including local residents or face restrictions that will kill the service and hugely inconvenience their pupils and families that use them.

I have received casework about the double yellow lines and will be asking the head of parking enforcement to make sure these lines are enforced.

Asset Wrote:

> As far away as Kensington and Canary Wharf...

> How about having schools that serve their

> communities instead of egos and purses oh sorry

> silly me, that's another whole argument.

> hahahhahahahahahahaha

Yes you may well laugh- what's it got to do with YOU how I spend my money- I don't travel and I don't have a flashy house or car....

I chose Alleyn's for my kids because it was the nearest school and I did not want them to get assaulted and robbed on the way back from other schools- where the pupils did not hesitate to attack one of my kids when he was in PRIMARY school. Also I wanted them to receive a good education, not one where the headteacher of a popular school at the time thought that it was a good thing to offer Turkish GCSE. That was way back in the late 1980s.

Anyway the coaches were coming to Townley Road then as well but because of the massive explosion in house conversions, CPZs around the stations and general increase in traffic there were few complaints.

If it wasn't for the Foundation the conservation area would look like as bad as ED

uncleglen Wrote:

> Asset Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > As far away as Kensington and Canary Wharf...

> > How about having schools that serve their

> > communities instead of egos and purses oh

> sorry

> > silly me, that's another whole argument.

> > hahahhahahahahahahaha

> Yes you may well laugh- what's it got to do with

> YOU how I spend my money- I don't travel and I

> don't have a flashy house or car....

>

> I chose Alleyn's for my kids because it was the

> nearest school and I did not want them to get

> assaulted and robbed on the way back from other

> schools- where the pupils did not hesitate to

> attack one of my kids when he was in PRIMARY

> school. Also I wanted them to receive a good

> education, not one where the headteacher of a

> popular school at the time thought that it was a

> good thing to offer Turkish GCSE. That was way

> back in the late 1980s.

> Anyway the coaches were coming to Townley Road

> then as well but because of the massive explosion

> in house conversions, CPZs around the stations and

> general increase in traffic there were few

> complaints.

> If it wasn't for the Foundation the conservation

> area would look like as bad as ED

The issue is that too many coaches are parked up on double yellow lines with their engines running. Dangerous for kids, dangerous for pedestrians, dangerous for cyclists.

Gawd help us indeed. Defensive much!

Nothing to do with me what you spend your money on uncleglen but I am entitled to my opinion on private education.

I've been walking down Townley road for nearly 20 years and the coaches have got much, much worse over the last few.

I do appreciate more coaches means fewer cars (what is wrong with public transport though) but it is the number of coaches, illegally and dangerously parked, with their engines running that needs to be addressed.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> I very hope that uncleglen's latest post is not

> typical of the average Alleyn parent - but if it

> is, gawd help us!

Well, I believe it's a very different school from 30 years ago, (Uncleglen quoted 1980s) at least in terms of difficulty in getting in the door.

You certainly cant get in just because its local.

It's current level of achievement is such that I'd have thought many more people travel and hence I guess the coach problems are greater than back in the 80s.