School coaches Townley Road

Asset

Alleyns is indeed a different school to what it used to be.

I was a pupil there from 1965 when it was a boys grammar school.

The majority of pupils then lived locally and had a free place.

Since becoming independent the fees are way outside the reach of most local people, hence the need for coaches to transport the pupils from afar.

Chief, that?s just silly. I am a teacher and am astonished by the number of parents who pick up their children from secondary school. They park wherever they want including in local people?s drives, keep running their engines,double park etc and this is a state school. I also live near a primary school and have the pleasure of parents arriving too early to drop off/pick up from school so. Sitin their cars, engine and radio running.

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Chief, that?s just silly. I am a teacher and am

> astonished by the number of parents who pick up

> their children from secondary school. They park

> wherever they want including in local people?s

> drives, keep running their engines,double park etc

> and this is a state school. I also live near a

> primary school and have the pleasure of parents

> arriving too early to drop off/pick up from school

> so. Sitin their cars, engine and radio running.

All very good points.

> And remember that people who pay for their

> children?s education are also paying for the state

> education they are not using.

What the ?*%# has that got to do with anything? If you can afford to go private that's the choice you make.

Another dog walk took me along Townley Road just now. It seems to coincide with Alleyn's after school activities. One coach and two red London buses parked, engines running on double yellow lines, near zebra crossing. Blocking one lane to traffic heading towards Lordship Lane.

It was mayhem. One bus driver had blocked another so driver asked other driver to move, second driver pretended not to understand English, said he was Italian. This was my moment! I told him in my rusty Italian that where he'd stopped was dangerous, school children were crossing the road from JAGS to catch buses, if he couldn't drive legally he shouldn't be driving at all and he must move the bus immediately. It worked! The other driver thanked me. I took pictures! Alleyn's, JAGS, sort yourselves out. If you want to employ me in a permanent post as traffic manager, make me an offer. (Ask a busy woman!)

https://imgur.com/fRH3wuC

Hi ITATM,

I can not envisage any political circumstances where local politicians would agree to sell Townley Road to a private school.

I think the school needs to manage the school coach service supplier much better and visiting coaches. The alternative is either draconian parking enforcement, width restrictions to effectively ban the coaches in any practical sense from Townley Road, or allow the school to build on its grounds coaches parking/turning - which I doubt either the Dulwich Estate or Southwark Council would allow as it is Metropolitan Open Land.

By far the easiest answer is managing the supplier and visitor coaches.

Regards James.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> I agree ,well done Ruby .

>

> But honestly they couldn't care less could they ?

>

> I suppose it won't be long before Townley Rd will

> simply be closed off at Dovercourt and absorbed

> into the school grounds .

Well done you, Ruby. It really is a mess - I always avoid driving down Townley if I can help it as it's always so blocked (not easy when half of Dulwich Village is also in chaos with roadworks and sometimes it's the only way through).

Glemham said earlier: 'All drivers are aware of the policy but enforcing it is difficult for the Coaches' small team of three as they cannot regularly be on site outside Alleyn's.'

I have to say I don't really buy that - if there is a team of three surely ONE of them could simply patrol the street for an hour or so each afternoon to check their drivers are being sensible? Isn't that part of their job??? Even if they just did it once or twice a week the drivers/coach companies would surely get the message after a while.

has anyone explained why the school coaches can't park on the drive in front of the school itself?

That whole sweep was secured behind locked gates - in fact it would be possible to open the gates but seal the carriage sweep from the rest of the school (I think fencing is already there, but if it isn't it would be easy enough to install) in order to retain security and protect the students - but maybe that's too much bother when the public street access can be grabbed on behalf of the school's needs.

I have no sympathy at all with the attitude of Alleyn's and the coach companies on this issue, finding it arrogant, selfish and dangerous, but I would guess that coaches parking on that drive might compromise fire service access to the main building?

How old are the pupils being collected/dropped off? When I was at school (in the previous century) our playing fields were three miles away from the school; in the first two terms of our first year we were taken there in coaches, after that pupils were expected to make their own way there by bike or public transport. Too much to ask?

Intexasatthe moment - there's a painting by Pissarro of Lordship Lane station. I think that was the line that ran alongside the Horniman and up through the woods by the golf course.

There was the Dover Chatham line somewhere there, but I'm sure all the East Dulwich History and railway experts can provide the details.

If Townley road was sold off, it explains why the playing fields are cut in two.

Lynne Wrote:

> Intexasatthe moment - there's a painting by

> Pissarro of Lordship Lane station. I think that

> was the line that ran alongside the Horniman and

> up through the woods by the golf course.

> There was the Dover Chatham line somewhere there,

> but I'm sure all the East Dulwich History and

> railway experts can provide the details.

> If Townley road was sold off, it explains why the

> playing fields are cut in two.

Alleyn?s School website does not mention anything about the railway but says

?The original building on Townley Road was the red brick building which overlooks Townley Road. The road was built especially for access to the school from Lordship Lane and Dulwich Village when the building was erected in 1887.? Perhaps, sadly, the school thinks they have moral rights to allow coaches to park there. If so they are totally misguided.