urbanfox

Socrates31 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Dulwich Fox,

>

> You?be highlighted a really important issue here,

> perhaps you could comment on this on the planning

> notice (link in OPs) post.

Even if it does require an HMO licence (which the council will decide depending on usage), from the figures quoted above by Fox 47 people would require just over 200m2, which I should imagine even one floor, let alone two, of the Cherry Tree has.

Application says "up market bunk house hostel". I'm curious to know if there will be a criteria for admission.

Will council be able to use it for emergency accomodation?? Anyone one know, what does the word up market mean in this application context.

I'm confused. Is this application not just to open the type of hostel that backpackers use throughout the world? There is a busy travellers' hostel in Deptford which I think would be a similar distance from central London, and which is used by backpackers rather than providing accommodation for workers. Transport from East Dulwich to central London is good - so much better than it used to be when we moved here is the 1970s, and I'm sure being located out of the centre of London would be a much more affordable option for tourists on a tight budget. I'm not sure why people are suggesting that it will provide long term accommodation or are questioning the legality of the space in the rooms. The application is for backpacker dormitory accommodation - why do people immediately read something sinister into it?

Sue Wrote:

> lavender27 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Would you want to share rooms with complete

> > strangers, with no privacy or security. The

> mind

> > boggles.

>

>

>

> I've done it many times when travelling, with no

> problems apart from other people snoring :))

I've been known to wake up with a scream - sleep paralysis type thing

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Isn't it odd how people are saying what a great

> spot for Tourists this would make..

No, a great spot for tourists to stay. Hotel prices in central London are ridiculous, so why not save yourself a small fortune and stay a bit further out? (We did that last time we went to New York and stayed in Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn ? 25 mins or so to central Manhattan.) And many of those people want somewhere a bit more 'upmarket' than just the basic backpackers' hostel.

> ...yet in another thread everyone (Except Me)

> saying what Shite Transport links we have here in

> E.D.

Er, and me :-)

> DulwichFox

goldilocks Wrote:

> Back up now. If you were planning to comment,

> probably best to do it sooner as the consultation

> period closes over the Xmas period.

>

> Comments made take a good 24 hours or so to show

> on the site, despite saying that they'll be

> available immediately.

Only three comments have been made, please please please can people make their voices heard as only then action will be taken.

If we sit back and do nothing this absurd scheme may go through!!

From the southwark planning portal:

17/AP/4421 | Change of use of the upper floors of The Cherry Tree Public House from ancillary staff accommodation (Class A4 Use) to create an up market bunk house hostel (Sui Generis) | 31-33 GROVE VALE, LONDON, SE22 8EQ

[planbuild.southwark.gov.uk:8190]

The Cherry Tree has submitted a planning application to transform their staff accommodation to "bunk house hostel"

It will create 47 bed spaces across 5 bedrooms on the first and second floors.

Application Received Date Thu 23 Nov 2017

Application Validated Date Fri 24 Nov 2017

Expiry Date Fri 19 Jan 2018

Actual Committee Date Not Available

Standard Consultation Expiry Date Thu 28 Dec 2017

Decision Made Date Not Available

Decision Issued Date Not Available

Socrates31 Wrote:

> Only three comments have been made, please please

> please can people make their voices heard as only

> then action will be taken.

>

> If we sit back and do nothing this absurd scheme

> may go through!!

Why is it "absurd"?

Sue Wrote:

> Socrates31 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Only three comments have been made, please

> please

> > please can people make their voices heard as

> only

> > then action will be taken.

> >

> > If we sit back and do nothing this absurd

> scheme

> > may go through!!

>

>

>

> Why is it "absurd"?

Hi Sue,

Wrong choice of words - bit overly dramatic.

As a neighbour of the pub whom already experiences ?statutory nuisance? issues with the pub, my personal sentient is very much against the idea as it will only cause more disruption to the neighbours.

As James Barber has said on his thread:

?It doesn't sound a good scheme creating 47 bed hostel Home multiple Occupation. I could understand if they were creating a boutique hotel as East Dulwich doesn't have any hotels.?

I totally agree with this, and think a nice hotel/bnb would be perfect.

I think it might very much depend what their target market is here. I know a number of 'retirement gap-year' couples and singles - obviously as these are UK based they wouldn't be looking for this, necessarily, but their travelling counter-parts from other countries might.

If they set the price right (and get the offer 'up market' for this sort of accommodation) then I don't think the fears being voiced here would necessarily materialise. It might even address some of the airb'n'b market - where there are singles rather than groups. Whilst some types of occupant might be 'disruptive' to neighbours, I can think of others that clearly wouldn't be.

And if you like the pub in its new incarnation then revenue streams which will allow it to continue are surely a good thing? The 'old fashioned pub' has real survival issues (look at the number which have closed/ are under threat) - re-inventing the business model may be a necessary lifeline. Trying to stop it may succeed in killing off the pub anyway. Which is what some people will want, of course.

Yes, if this proposal was abroad somewhere (or even elsewhere in the UK) I would be in its target market, and I'm retired.

And not likely to be disruptive (I hope!)

For various reasons I don't particularly like the new incarnation of The Cherry Tree, and I don't go there any more, but nevertheless I would be sorry to see it close.

If they brought back the fantastic chef who was there for a very brief period when it was also under excellent management (all sacked by the previous vile owners) I would be eating there as often as my finances allowed.

However sadly that won't happen, so I shan't be.

I imagine that this is going to be a base for young people visiting london to sleep. We are in Zone 2 so they can have fun up town, see the sights etc and then have a crash pad. I don't see this as a natural pathway to hoards of drunken people staggering around the streets. If it helps the pub keep going then all well and good. I think we all have an idea of how hard trading is nowadays so every square inch has to pay.

I guess it would also appeal to the groups of overseas school trips you occasionally see boarding the train en masse at Peckham Rye.

I would think the noise fears are slightly unfounded. Many of the guests would want peace and quiet as much as the neighbours and would be closest to any noise. If the hostel is to be successful it would be in the pub's interest to enforce quiet even more so than it is now.

If you take a moment to look at the planning application you?ll see that many of the rooms are for 9 or 12 people in bunks in one room. I don?t think the natural market for this would be retired gap-year couples! Nor do I think schools will be looking to accommodate children above a pub. As someone has already commented, the nature of the accommodation. makes it far more likely to attract stags and hens.

sdrs Wrote:

> If you take a moment to look at the planning

> application you?ll see that many of the rooms are

> for 9 or 12 people in bunks in one room. I don?t

> think the natural market for this would be retired

> gap-year couples!

Well, we ancient people can't all afford more expensive accommodation than that when travelling, remarkable as that may sound for somebody who lives in East Dulwich :))

Sounds like a good idea to me - I just read "up-market" as 'nice, new and not a minging hovel' which is very much what I look for in a hostel.

Its on a main commercial stretch of road, near to transport - even when the trains aren't running, its not far into the city centre on the 176/40/185. ED is desperate for accommodation, its just a shame that there isn't going to be a provision for a few smaller en-suite rooms for when people have out of town guests to stay who don't want to bunk up with strangers.

I can't see them setting it up as a party hostel and like its already been said, I'd much rather see a pub making the most of its assets and remaining open than living around the corner from a shut up pub. Or another one anyway.

As for "I live near it...." - you live near a main road and a very well established large pub, if you don't like noise, perhaps move somewhere quieter.