Winter babies club (due Dec 2011, Jan/Feb 2012)

Ok.. to make things easy... shall we say Monday at the Gardens 9:45am?

If anyone without babies yet would like to meet for a coffee afterwards.. come and find us from 10:30am at the Gardens.. I'll be hanging around there to give Ava her lunch.

Looking forward to catching up with the WBClubbers, it's been some time!

Anna x

Hi Anna,

Can I ask when you started the expressing for partner to do night feed from? I am so keen to do that (depending on supply!) but midwife keeps telling me will need to wait a month!! I'm due next tues so will give this meet up a miss but would love to join again once the arrival is here!

Have fun! X

PS congrats to all this WB and WB mums! So many lovely stories!

K4ti,

With first baby, I'd read that after 4 weeks (I think) it's harder for some babies to accept bottle if exclusively breastfed before then so as soon as my milk supply has come in (day 3-4ish) I've expressed a bit extra after each feed to make up a bottle.

Expressing will make you produce more milk so now (day 6) I can express a whole bottle in one go.

Everyone is different though, your supply might be completely different

with regards to introducing the bottle, with both babies, I've done it asap and it hasn't caused any 'nipple confusion' and the block of sleep I get as a result is amazing!!

Did your midwife explain why she advises you to wait?

The one thing I found about health visitors/midwives etc is that their advice is so contradictory and confusing!!

You should probably see how breastfeeding goes for the first couple of days and then express once feeding is established and you're confident baby can latch on etc etc.

I remember being told to wait 6 weeks before ntroducing a bottle od expressed milk - baby 1 ended up needing it from about day 3 due to feeding problems and we never had nipple confusion problems. With baby 2 I waited about a month as just wasn't organised enough to express, and she point blank refused a bottle until she was 15 months old!

The sooner the better IME, and it is brilliant having someone else do the late evening feed.

P xx

Thanks ladies,

Yes midwife seemed to be concerned re nipple confusion but i am of the mindset that the sooner the better...i know my mother did this with us and breastfed for a year with each with no problems and a lot of sleep!!I will definitely give my supply a few days to get set up and then see where i'm at and if i can start expressing a bit extra. OH is really keen to be involved in feeding so fingers crossed we will be able to make it work that way!

Hi

Anna - Monday at the Gardens sounds good. Looking fwd to seeing WB and WB mums/mums to be there.

K4Ti - just to second the others, I agree that you shouldn't leave it too long before you offer a bottle. I think I failed to establish bottle feeding with my son as I left it too late. He took a bottle at 2 weeks and then I was lazy about expressing and didn' offer a bottle again regularly which meant that by 6 weeks he would not take a bottle at all (he next took a bottle at 7 months), so I am planning to start bottle feeding Alex (who is 2 1/2 weeks old) asap (again I have so far been lazy about expressing!).

X L

Hi ladies

I have PM'd a few of you who are planning to meet on Monday.

I'm Kim and I run the Tippee Toes music group at The Gardens cafe. I have just read your post about your meet on Monday at The Gardens cafe.

Unfortunately, I received some unfortunate news today that Tippee Toes will no longer be running music sessions at The Gardens cafe. Of course you are still welcome to go ahead and meet at The Gardens but there will be no music group.

Please note we run an 11am session on Mondays at All Fired Up ceramics cafe as well as a Tuesday session at 10am at AFU, just in case one of these are of any interest to you :). And of course there is still the baby session at AFU on a Thursday morning at 10am.

I do apologise for any incovenience and hope your meet goes very well.

With best wishes

Kim

Tippee Toes

Thanks Kim - 11am on monday would work for me. Let me know if some of you will be there. Regarding the baby sessions, how old the baby should be? My daughter will be 3 weeks old next week. She might be a bit young. Let me know.

Many thanks

Loren

Hi all,

just joining in this thread as I had a baby girl on 9 December and would like some other people with new babies to hang out with! This is second time for me too, my little boy is 3. Second time around definitely much easier, the first time it hit me like a bus and I was very unprepared, especially as my son had reflux and so slept terribly, had to be held all the time and really struggled to gain any weight. in contrast my daughter is relatively easy as newborns go, she is feeding well and sleeping at least sometimes (!) and is generally a much more contented little thing. Her birth was easier too, she was born at the Lewisham birth centre which I cannot recommend highly enough and she came fast and I have bounced back fairly quickly despite a second degree tear. Having two is certainly a new challenge though, trying to breastfeed while supervising my son on the loo or settle the baby for a nap while the three year old is playing noisy games is a new level of multi tasking!

Wednesdays and Thursdays is just the baby and me so I would be keen to join ant meet ups on those days - I can't make this Monday as I'll have the boy too but I will keep an eye on the thread. (I am actually in Honor Oak but only over the hill from ED and happy to make the trip as I often do!)

Wednesdays and

Missmack!

I haven't been on the thread in ages and have just seen that you were early .... Congrats! Due date was same as yours and I'm still waiting!!

I'm now onto pineapple, walking and reflexology.

I look forward to hearing all the birth stories when I see the WBC. My son is at nursery Monday so won't join at AFU but will hopefully c u all soon.

Btw - does anyone have any Clary sage essential oil they no longer want? I just dont want to buy a whole bottle to only use a couple of drops to (hopefully) kick start labour!!

Stephanie

Pickle, I hope your little one makes an entrance soon.

Wiff waff I have some clary sage oil you can have. Will be home at nap time if you want to pop round and get it. Pm me and I'll give you my number/ address.

Victoria, did you need the tens that night????

Hi all,

Congratulations to all the mums with gorgeous new babies!!

Pickle, I hope things move along quickly for you. Take care and will be thinking of you.

I've still got just over a month to go and 8 days of work. Very much looking forward to maternity leave and hoping for a few weeks break before bubs makes an appearance (but not too many weeks as I may go crazy waiting for her!).

At some stage we will have to update our list to include the new arrivals and the dates they were born. Perhaps that will be a job for me once I start maternity leave. Something to distract me whilst I wait for baby millymoo to arrive.

Sal

xxx

Hi Pippa,

After seeing you at the hospital last Friday, I had hoped things had progressed for you by now. Keep your chin up, they won't let you go much longer! If you are still in hospital on Thursday (hopefully with the baby!), that is when I am planned to come back in for my induction, so I might see you there. I will keep everything crossed for you.

Nicky x

Hooray, I finally had a baby! Kate was born at 5:05am this morning after a very long induction process. I escaped c section by a mere 20 mins. Here I was thinking #3 would just fall out! She is exactly 38 weeks gestation today, so has had the longest cooking time of all 3 children.

Feeding really well, sleeping peacefully, and I hope to be discharged later today.

Pippa x