play equipment in warwick gardens

if you live local to warwick gardens SE15 and your kids use the park, take a look at our proposed shiny new adventure play equipment on our facebook page "warwick garden". There are a few people who are opposed to it so we really need lots of folks to give us their support and encouragement! thanks from friends of Warwick Gardens

thanks for your posts people! the objection is that these modest changes will "spoil the grand sweep of the unspoilt vista". personally I like to see our kids out playing in parks and think there isn't enough for slightly older children to do in warwick gardens. if you agree, please "like" the pictures. I'll post some info about the public meeting we're having next month for those of you who are interested to know more..

andy

I think its a great idea. I use WG quite a lot and while my children are still young and still enjoy the use of the current equipment, they also love Goose Green and all the new wood-type equipment there.

I have to say I think a lot of space in WG is underused! Whenever I go the top playground it is usually busy - if a little too busy when school kicks out (but aren't they all?), other than that I occasionally see some youngsters playing basket ball down the bottom, but generally, not a lot else. Especially in the lovely big grassy area.

Gussy

You're right. Lots of the space is underused. I think some people whose houses back onto the park prefer it that way. But what's proposed here seems to me to be a modest, sympathetic and long overdue augmentation of the park.

Nothing that's planned will encroach on the spaces in WG used to play cricket, football etc. I think the intention is to have a proposed location plan available soon so people can see for themselves.

hi everyone! SO great to get your support and comments about WG.It's true that there are one or two people who object to us putting equipment in the dog free area- but it seems to us that it's underused. yes you're right taper- the footie and the cricket spaces are sacred and will NOT be touched. Here's the pictures we have. As soon as the plans ready I'll post that too. Thanks for ALL your comments...

• 2 weeks later...
It's nice that East Dulwichians take an interest in Peckham but 'Gussy' -if you "love Goose Green and all the new wood type equipment there" (except it's not spoiling the open space of Goose Green, is it?) please have a great time there and as you yourself say, leave " the lovely big grassy area" to the people who loved Warwick Gardens, Peckham, SE15 before they started turning it into an adventure playground for the white middle classes.

Open space in a park does not mean it's under-used. Are you suggesting the Rye is under utilised? Fill in the space with clutter and you close out the mental recreation the space provides the many people who walk through, and linger in WGardens. WG is an oasis of calm, with, yes, a fantastic vista sweeping down to Lyndhurst Way that was once going to be turned into a marshalling yard for the Channel Tunnel Rail Link which was so valiantly fought against by the local residents. Let's keep WG as a space that can benefit and serve as wide a range and number of users as possible, rather than pandering to the exclusive interest of one group (ie people who want to give their young charges a distraction while they natter with their friends). It is not as if there are not already playground facilities in the neighbourhood -- try Lucas Gardens.

hookey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's nice that East Dulwichians take an interest

> in Peckham but 'Gussy' -if you "love Goose Green

> and all the new wood type equipment there" (except

> it's not spoiling the open space of Goose Green,

> is it?) please have a great time there and as you

> yourself say, leave " the lovely big grassy area"

> to the people who loved Warwick Gardens, Peckham,

> SE15 before they started turning it into an

> adventure playground for the white middle classes.

Oh my god hookey is that a joke?? Am I white middle class? Do I live East Dulwich? You know nothing about me you fool.

Not that its any of your business but I live in PECKHAM - that's SE15, spit. I frequent WG a lot and I think its great. I was merely posting my support for some new play equipment for older children. I'm sorry if that's offended you.

I was just saying that on the days I go (twice a week) I hardly see a soul there. That doesn't mean I think it should be filled up with 'kids stuff'. I think a few people are getting a little oversensitive here.

Perhaps your energies could be better spent on focussing on the other users of the park, like those that let their dogs crap everywhere.

would the adventure playground not be built on the existing crappy one? if it tool over the grassy open space, then as much as i would like my charge to play while i read or natter... i agree with urbangardener and hookey. it's true: goose green and lucas gardens are sooo close. and wg is a great place to run around or meander in. and to be enjoyed by everyone with or without kids.

A joke? Well.... it was meant to be lighthearted, so sorry, but some people are getting a little oversensitive perhaps. I think you'll find that dogs were banned from most of WG to protect the little preciousness's from doggie doo's some years ago.

Interesting subject for your first posts Hookey and Urban Gardener.

There is of course no proposal to fill WG with play equipment. Everyone is committed to keeping the park as an open space. The Friends have supported some very small additions to the park: the log circle is in an area barely used prior to its establishment; and the orchard was planted by local people and is widely supported by users. It is true that Southwark wanted to put a lot more play equipment in the park. But the Friends have fought hard against these plans and now have got to the point where what's proposed is the small scale and sensitive addition of a few play pieces that will in no way detract from the open, green and pleasant space that WG is.

The notion that the Friends are "pandering to the exclusive interest of one group" is a slur that i'd ask you to withdraw. Or failing that, come and make the same point at the public meeting on 27 June and we can discuss your point of view face to face.

blimey - who is hookey? first time user today ... hmmmmm.

**leans back to ponder this, in inspector morse fashion**

as another PECKHAMITE who also dares to like and frequent other playgrounds in Southwark - just for kicks - I also like the proposed new plans for WG, many thanks for posting these andy alty. the rustic look will blend in with the surroundings and am sure they will be great fun for the older kids in the area.

.... trots off to shave truffles on top of pappardelle

dear all,

for those of you who are interested in the facts- please see the warwick garden facebook page for the planned proposals.

We have worked hard to ensure that they are low-impact, don't spoil the "open vista" and still give slightly older kids somewhere safe and clean to play locally, without encroaching on the toddlers.

We welcome reasoned debate. We welcome you to come and discuss the plans. Join us on 27th July at the Villa nursery.

best wishes to you all, whatever your perspective...

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this as was passing through at the weekend - looks like a decent result to me.

Additions amount to two new bits of play apparatus (tucked in near the railings) and a board explaining what all the new trees are (from memory: cherry, mulberry, plum, apple, pear, quince, gage).

And there still looked to be plenty of room for ball players, kids and kid haters of all classes and skin colours.