Brick House Cafe "is not a creche"

Nigello

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

If

> you're being noisy, or your child is, just be

> aware at the very least.

Huge assumptions being made that the mother wasn't aware that the baby was making a noise and wasn't doing all she could to pacify it - nobody's claimed that she just left it lying there to cry. With all due respect I find your posts rather odd, you are obsessed with telling everyone to be wellmannered - and quite right too, in a way - but you don't seem to grasp that asking a mother to remove a very small baby from a caf?, in filthy winter weather, just because it was crying for a few minutes, is the height of bad manners.

rendelharris Wrote:

> Nigello Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> If

> > you're being noisy, or your child is, just be

> > aware at the very least.

>

> Huge assumptions being made that the mother wasn't

> aware that the baby was making a noise and wasn't

> doing all she could to pacify it - nobody's

> claimed that she just left it lying there to cry.

> With all due respect I find your posts rather odd,

> you are obsessed with telling everyone to be

> wellmannered - and quite right too, in a way - but

> you don't seem to grasp that asking a mother to

> remove a very small baby from a caf?, in filthy

> winter weather, just because it was crying for a

> few minutes, is the height of bad manners.

completely off topic - you find another persons posts odd? Really? Coming from someone that displays nothing but anger and childish outrage towards those that don't agree with you?

Yes, I shouldn't say it. But we're all thinking it. You're not a particularly nice person so give it a rest!

Back to the topic - It's clear this particular instance is being used as an example of the frustrations encountered in such establishments. Some might not agree with how it was handled, I'm certainly not saying the Cafe is right or wrong in the slightest,but there does come a point where enough is enough surely.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Yes, I shouldn't say it. But we're all thinking

> it. You're not a particularly nice person so give

> it a rest!

Ah, sorry, I didn't realise you spoke for the whole of the EDF, including, presumably, those who have agreed with me above? Or are you perhaps confusing "we all" with "I"?

Do you not see the inherent irony in castigating someone for (supposedly) being rude and annoying by being rude and annoying yourself?

rendelharris Wrote:

> KalamityKel Wrote:

>

> > Yes, I shouldn't say it. But we're all

> thinking

> > it. You're not a particularly nice person so

> give

> > it a rest!

>

> Ah, sorry, I didn't realise you spoke for the

> whole of the EDF, including, presumably, those who

> have agreed with me above? Or are you perhaps

> confusing "we all" with "I"?

>

> Do you not see the inherent irony in castigating

> someone for (supposedly) being rude and annoying

> by being rude and annoying yourself?

Just stop it. If you can't play nicely. Go away. :))

KalamityKel Wrote:

> rendelharris Wrote:

> -----

> > KalamityKel Wrote:

> >

> > > Yes, I shouldn't say it. But we're all

> > thinking

> > > it. You're not a particularly nice person so

> > give

> > > it a rest!

> >

> > Ah, sorry, I didn't realise you spoke for the

> > whole of the EDF, including, presumably, those

> who

> > have agreed with me above? Or are you perhaps

> > confusing "we all" with "I"?

> >

> > Do you not see the inherent irony in

> castigating

> > someone for (supposedly) being rude and

> annoying

> > by being rude and annoying yourself?

>

> Just stop it. If you can't play nicely. Go away.

> :))

So you join a discussion and completely out of the blue throw quite spiteful insults at people, then object to them responding? Most interesting - along with your claims to speak for everybody it would seem to indicate something of a messiah complex.

I wasn't there so don't know exactly what happened. But, I do have experience of taking my own children to the Brick when they were young and always found them welcoming. In fact anyone who has ever visited the bakery, will have seen lot's of young children / families. So the general accusation that the Brick Bakery are 'intolerant', doesn't tally with my experience of the place.

On the general principle of whether or not it's OK to 'sit out' a screaming / crying fit in a cafe - i think it's clear to most that there is a time when it's necessary to take the child outside, for the sake of those around you. Usually after a few minutes of not being able to settle them. How could anyone (including the mother) enjoy their coffee, sitting next to an distressed child? From what's been recounted of the incident, the individual wasn't 'kicked out', but asked to step outside whilst their child calmed down. I think this sounds (on the face of it) perfectly reasonable.

As I say, I didn't witness the incident and it's possible that there is more to it - but I certainly don't think people should rush to condemn the business (nor the mother for that matter - I'm sure she was genuinely trying her best and upset by the episode).

> cazfay Wrote:

> -----

> > Am I missing something? A. When Babies cry,

> they

> > tend to need milk/ cuddles/Nappy change.. so

> how

> > is it helpful sending the baby outside?

I'm not sure the Cafe can be expected to feed, cuddle or change the baby's nappy though. It does support all of these activities when undertaken by the child's parents.

Oh seriously can we give it a rest now?

The mother wanted to keep the conversation private. She felt she was asked to leave.

The Brickhouse chose to take it public on Instagram, the papers and tv. They feel they did nothing wrong.

The people are divided on what is appropriate and what is not, on both sides.

Parents will likely now avoid the Brickhouse.

Others will flock to it.

Agree to disagree. Be nice to each other and let the matter drop.

Amanda1979 Wrote:

> And again... it wasn't the mother who made it

> public... it was the Brickhouse who posted it on

> instagram

Let?s be real for a minute. If you go on Instagram and follow the post you will see that it was a ?mate? of the mother posting it on Instagram. And you will also find that someone tagged itv London, bbc London etc

My baby had silent reflux and pretty much cried for her first 6 months non-stop despite me doing everything in my power to soothe her. It was utterly heartbreaking and hellish. My self esteem and confidence was at an all time low and the only reason I managed to avoid postnatal depression was forcing myself out to places like this with other mums and babies. My point is you never know what somebody?s situation is, we need to be more supportive and tolerant of one another. Babies are complex creatures that cannot always be silenced within a few minutes. The customer must have been a complete arse.

Surely when you go out to a cafe you choose a cafe depending on your mood - if you're stressed out and a baby crying is going to send you off on one - choose one you know won't have crying babies.

Some cafes are the domain of the laptop guys - others have loads of children, others have my pet hate - the interviewing recruiter maybe we need some Amsterdam type ones or some vaping ones ;)

There's always the pub - a cup of cof...no I'll have a pint.

If I'd been at that cafe and I had heard the baby crying, I would probably have been inwardly irritated and annoyed but there is NO WAY in the world I would have complained. I remember only too well what it was like to have small babies: I didn't take mine out to a cafe (or even on a bus) until they were six months old because I was so stressed as to what people would think if they cried. To me it's a bit like hooting and shouting at a learner driver who has stalled at the traffic lights. Yes, it's annoying, but you have to let it go.

Rather than complain about it, I would have left and chosen to frequent a cafe that wasn't particularly child friendly.

Perhaps I suffer from old-fashioned politeness and thinking of others before myself. At least, I hope I do.