Music Festival Peckham Rye Park

jocher

I'm with James Barber on this one. I understand why councils are wanting to offset the Tory Government's austerity drive by reaping money from events on their parks - but London parks should be for all. The disruption of the events - particularly in terms of the closed parts of the parks and the inevitable damage and rubbish (it will be cleaned from the park as part of the contract, but not the surrounding streets) is unlikely to be outweighed by any positive benefits from the local people who use the park regularly.

More free park community events, eg Peckham Rye Festival - but not mass events. As others have pointed out, Hyde Park has the scale and infrastructure to cope, Peckham Rye is a vital green lung for the benefit of the people who live in tightly packed housing around it. Let it breathe, not be cut off by fenced off events - nor full of pissed up festival goers pissing in gardens nearby.

And, noise control guarantees don't work. The bass reverberations from Sunfall at Brockwell could be heard as far as Peckham (for eg). If you've ever tried calling Southwark noise control you will know how completely under-resourced it is to deal with any kind of noise issue, especially in the evenings.

This is not a massive event, it's a very small part of the park and common that will be used, with large areas still open. There is only residential housing on one side of the site, it's not like it's totally surrounded. It's a one weekend event with a short build period. A number of local businesses are involved which is great to see. I fully support these events and can only think they add to the vibrancy and appeal of the area.

The promoters and contractors for the event appear to be up to the job and have some history/substance, and Southwark seem to have identified many of the obvious concerns and addressed them through licensing conditions. I can understand that people who live close by or use the park and the common frequently might still be concerned, and there's definitely going to be some impact, but I can't see any reason for predicting disaster.

I can also understand people whose strong feeling/expression is simply that they don't want this sort of thing in the park at all (I'm looking at you J Barber, opportunist par excellence) but hopefully there is sufficient insight to understand that others disagree with equivalent sincerity, and there's nothing inherently unreasonable about these types of events.

NB - I suspect I'll be going away for the weekend!

Yeah, I saw the impact of the event the Hornimans ran a few years ago, It was not pleasant, be prepared for major disruption and upheaval in the name of fun, when the population of the area will swell by 35% (9000 people)

How will it impact on local bus services, will they continue to run between Peckham Rye and Forest Hill Road?

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is a local councillor report on the event

> which will hopefully reassure of any concerns;

>

> Music festival Peckham Rye Park ? May 27-28

> The festival is planned for Sunday 27th May and

> Monday 28th May. Sunday will be for over 18s only

> and alcohol can be served until 10pm; while Monday

> will be a family friendly folk music event with up

> to 3 children allowed per adult. Alcohol can be

> served until 9.30pm on Monday. Music will cease

> half an hour after the alcohol sales. Maximum

> sound at the nearest properties is expected to

> reach 67 to 73 decibels. An absolute maximum of 75

> decibels has been set, this level must not be

> exceeded at any time at the closest residential

> properties and reading levels will be available to

> the police and Southwark officers. Tickets will be

> sold in advance on-line and residents in the 200

> closest properties will be offered free tickets.

> There will be a maximum of 8000 tickets per day,

> including complimentary ones.

> A time limited license was granted by the

> Licensing Committee last week, 51 conditions were

> agreed between officers and the event organisers,

> ?We are the Fair?, with an additional 8 added by

> the Licensing Committee. The conditions include a

> detailed ingress, egress and dispersal policy

> including a public transport plan which must be

> approved by Licensing, the Environmental

> Protection Team and the Police, at least 6 weeks

> before the event. Southwark Highways and Parking

> also must be consulted and their advice

> implemented for the event to take place. Set entry

> and egress routes will be used to minimise damage

> to the park and the operators will make good any

> damage. A deposit has also been taken. The event

> has moved from Brockwell Park to Peckham Rye Park

> as a much larger event is being held in Brockwell

> Park on the 1-3 June and will be being set up from

> end of May.

>

> The organisers of the event "We are the Fair" have

> won awards for their good practice in the running

> of outdoor events

>

> We have both raised a number of concerns with

> officers and it has been agreed that ?

>

> The cancelled stakeholder meeting is urgently

> rearranged. The cancelled Stakeholder Meeting

> planned for 24 Jan must be urgently rearranged,

> and this meeting must include local residents. And

> in the meantime responses to the queries raised at

> the December stakeholder meeting are circulated.

> These included concerns around damage/damage

> deposit, noise, dispersal, transport etc.

>

> Further queries raised by FoPRP and

> councillors around transport and dispersal, damage

> deposits, parking, investment into the park will

> be responded to as soon as possible.

>

> Both the council and We Are The Fair need to

> engage with local residents, many of whom will

> still be unaware of the festival. This could

> include a letter, meeting, FAQs online etc. This

> will be agreed and finalised at the stakeholder

> meeting.

>

>

> Anecdotally, many residents we have spoken to are

> excited about the prospect of the festival and

> coupled with the requirements that We Are The Fair

> provide work opportunities for local people and

> use local food and drink companies, it could and

> should be a good cultural event for our part of

> the borough. However, if the festival isn?t well

> run, the opportunity to have good events that

> support local cultural and arts groups and the

> local economy will be lost.

There are a couple of points in the text that I would like to raise with the councillor. Could you post which local councillor wrote this so that I may write / speak to them.

Thanks

dbboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ....be prepared for major disruption and upheaval in the

> name of fun

Wow, What a bizarre world view, when did your spirit die? 😳

Well I bought my early bird tickets before Christmas, went last year and can?t wait to go again. I feel proper lucky to have this in my neighbourhood - truly uplifting and beautifully spirited festival and if I could have those tunes playing in my backyard every weekend i?d never leave. You could always move to Swindon where souls go to die.

Thanks Blah Blah for posting the report that was written by Vikki and I. One thing to add, any funds generated by hosting this event will go towards funding free events in Southwark Parks. All residents living near to the park (including all the Peckham Rye Councillors as we are local residents too!) should have/ are supposed to be receiving a letter from the organisers about the event. The free tickets are only for residents living very,very close to the event and those households will be notified of this by the organisers. There seems to be little detail so far about the Monday event. I plan to attend the meeting on Tuesday (mentioned by Mrs Y above, thanks) and this is one of the things I will be asking about.

I would suggest that if you want to ask questions directly to We Are The Fair, do attend Tuesdays meeting. My email is [email protected] if you want to ask me any questions about the event, or with questions that you would like me to raise on Tuesday.

Thanks

Renata

• 4 weeks later...

Blah Blah

Please do not send me unsolicited private messages, especially those of a political kind.

Hi there,

We had some discussion about this event at the Labour Party branch meeting. My household is one of those affected as being closest to the site. We have two small children and free tickets are no use to us. We can't take a 7 and 9 year old to an all day music festival for three days.

But as you can see from the report, final plans have not been submitted from the organisers yet on transport, dispersal, damage etc and there is still plenty of opportunity for local people to have a say on those things. Renata and Vikki both also share those concerns. Getting 8000 alcohol fuelled people out of the park at closing time is going to be a challenge I think. We also have concerns about urinating and litter in surrounding streets too. It all depends on the kind of people that go to the event really.

Good luck with the councillors.

Best wishes David.

This is a great opportunity for East Dulwich. Of course nothing suits everybody but somehow 100000 plus go to Brockwell every year. This is small in comparison. I?ve been to so many such events over the years - they are not scarey but bring great enjoyment.

It was in response to your query Pipsky and all you had to do was respond privately. It is not a political message at all. Publishing a private message in the public forum is poor form and let that be a warning to anyone that ever messages you in the future. Fortunately it contains nothing confidential but I have asked the administrator to remove it.

Another unsolicited post from Blah Blah

It is out of order to pubish a private message in the public forum, which has my name and details about my family in it. There was nothing political about it at all. I was simply sharing my concerns with you privately. You could have replied privately asking me not to message you again. I have asked the admin to remove your post.

I am happy to answer questions about the festivals to the best of my ability. We are meeting with the organisers on Wednesday, so those questions I don't know the answer to now, I may be able to address after that.

The parking, transport, dispersal etc needs to be presented to and satisfy the various council authorities and teams by mid April in order for the events, so I will question them on progress.

I still have no details on the Monday family festival event. I was told on Wednesday that around half of the tickets sold so far for Sunday (Gala) are to local residents (ED, Nunhead, Peckham).

Renata

If all local stations are to be closed over that weekend, do you mean, Peckham Rye, East, North and West Dulwich?? Which others do you believe will be closed??

Can you confirm or find out from Council Officers if Peckham Rye from the junction of Barry Road to the junction of Forest Hill Road will remain open to normal traffic during this event, i.e. 63 and 363 bus routes or will they be curtailed to the Heaton Arms??