The Peckham Rye Park and Grill

mattindulwich18 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am finally moving into my new flat next weekend

> and the Rye will be my local pub.

>

> Is it a good pub? and more importantly is it gay

> friendly?

Forgive me Matt, but what exactly is a gay friendly pub? Surely a pub is a pub, and your sexuality should have nothing to do with it.....

"Forgive me Matt, but what exactly is a gay friendly pub? Surely a pub is a pub, and your sexuality should have nothing to do with it....."

:-)

I debated this issue with someone on another thread matt started in the recommendations section about a month ago. In an ideal world it shouldn't have anything to do with it, but in reality it does. I think we concluded that the PRPG is gay friendly. Reviews also say that the food is good there too.

Lost the plot? I suppose a gay griendly pub is one in which you don't feel threatened or get beaten up outside on your way home. It shouldn't matter if one's sexuality is different from others, and a pub is a pub, but there you are.

Frisco Wrote:

> You're showing your age there Bob; not to mention

> your dubious taste in films!

Ha Ha.. indeed. Though I don't recollect any cockring scenes in P.A.? Perhaps they are included as 'rare deleted scenes' in the DVD box set?

Breton Wrote:

> Lost the plot? I suppose a gay griendly pub is one

> in which you don't feel threatened or get beaten

> up outside on your way home. It shouldn't matter

> if one's sexuality is different from others, and a

> pub is a pub, but there you are.

would not apply to a hetro friendly pub as well, im not too fond of getting threatened in pubs or getting a hiding on the way home for that matter.

I would like to say that one's sexuality does not matter when you go into a bar or pub, I go to the Uplands with my boyfriend for dinner and its lovely, the service is good and the food wholesome and I dont feel left out, but I have never been into a pub by myself in Lordship Lane yet, so i look forward to having a new local pub in the PRPG.

Dear Mattindulwich18,

My girlfriend and I (I'm laydee!) are new regulars to the Rye pub and it has passed our happy homo test - have even spotted some other family there on more than one occassion.

I must say that it is not very diabetic friendly however. We went in there the day we moved house and my poor old Dad was having a hypo so I asked to get some food (after buying a large round of drinks). They responded with a militant "We are not serving food for another hour". I eventually got some prawn crackers and a stale piece of bread out of them after much pleading - talk about jobsworths!

To be fair, some of the newer staff I've seen are very lovely and helpful and being of a certain persuasion, we do particularly like the decor, garden and dog-friendly policy too.

Has anyone been to the Forest Hill Tavern lately? They are trying very hard - the chef gave us free puddings to try last time we were there and the quiz is quite good. It would be great to see more people there.

Overpriced toss hole with the rudest staff in London if you ask me but then I am biased having had one of the snooty stuck up bar staff interupt a table of my friends to ask one of them to settle a bar bill from a previous evening that she PRESUMED was hers. If embarrasing my friend in this way was not enough she then proceeded to hound her round the pub. I, quite happily, have not been back since and do not intend to.

I've had a few bad experiences in there too. Scott the funny and sweet manager/boss seems to have a tendency to let the pressure get to him whereupon he becomes a right stroppy old queen. After being scolded a couple of times I haven't been back.

It's a nice place though, as long as you deal with the bad attitude.

Charlie

ratty Wrote:

> Overpriced toss hole with the rudest staff in

> London if you ask me but then I am biased having

> had one of the snooty stuck up bar staff interupt

> a table of my friends to ask one of them to settle

> a bar bill from a previous evening that she

> PRESUMED was hers. If embarrasing my friend in

> this way was not enough she then proceeded to

> hound her round the pub. I, quite happily, have

> not been back since and do not intend to.