Snow! How are the buses and trains?

klove

If Southwark bought 5 or 10 of these machines would they turn into pumpkins at the stoke of midnight?

No matter what party is in control these should be held in reserve and will always be there for 5/10/20 years.

How much does Southwark piss up the wall on in vogue fad projects?

I.E Cost of signage for the 20 mph speed limit on roads comes to mind

It really is time party politics are consigned to the dustbin and what is of benefit for the community takes precedence.

Perhaps more independent Cllr's should be elected that represent the community.

There used to be a Southwark website that lists bills paid out over ?500 per month which was crazy. Perhaps it does not now exist.

More than enough to cover these machines.

No one is denying the side effects of budget cuts from central government have had an effect, but other councils have had the same cuts and still manage to maintain highways adequately. Southwark is just a shower of crap, it really is.

They seem to have a magic money pot for vanity projects, such as replacing lampposts unnecessarily in the park. Or re-surfacing roads in good condition. It would not break the bank to invest in two or three gritting lorries which, yes, may well only be used a handful of times over a decade.

Louisa.

Agree almost entirely with Louisa here. The wasted contract spend with Conway is criminal. The wasted spend we've seen on resurfacing appears to be a tidy part of tge Conway business model which thrives due to poor contract management at Southwark. The wasted spend would have easily covered this week's gritting needs.

Managed to get to Lewisham by 185 today without problems - was very surprised how quickly I got to my destination.

Have to do same tomorrow but need to get there by 10.30 am instead of 1pm so I imagine this journey will be slower.

Main roads are pretty clear. Cycled in today no problem, sticking to the main roads (Horniman to Fleet Street). Saw about 15 cyclists on my entire journey. Probably because the cycle lanes are full of ice, snow and slush.

I have seen a gritter at work, they are really out there! This information was sent to Councillors.

Measures to mitigate the bad weather

Gritting

? We have two gritters with an additional spare available at all times

? We have pre-treated at the following times and dates:

? Monday 26th 20.00 all major routes with a 12gm/m2 spread rate)

? Tuesday 27th 20.00 all major routes (8gm spread rate)

? Wednesday 28th 07.00 all major routes (12gm spread rate)

? Every time we go out on all major routes, we cover 168km (93 miles)

? Tonnage of salt used in last 3 days = 40 tonnes just on road treatments

Please note that at these significantly low temperatures the effectiveness of salt is severely retarded. Below -7 degrees it will have little or no effect in preventing ice formation, it just slows the process down.

Detailed info and the Winter Service Policy & Plan can be found at the following link:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/street-care/gritting

Pavement clearance

We have 230 staff working between 06:00 and 18:00 to clear snow from pavements across the borough and grit around schools, transport hubs and shopping areas.

We have 331 staff working between 08:00 and 16:00 to carry out pavement clearance on our housing estates.

Renata