nursery crisis

My nursery , a council run one, has just increased its fees by over 60%(we used to benefit from a ft discount).great timing:baby no2 due end September so ideally don't want any more changes for my daughter. I don't seem to be able to get hold of amott rd pre school the villa or gumboots.does anyone know how bad the waiting lists are and whether they are open in summer?we live near peckam rye station and don't drive so needs to be close to us and open from 8/8.30,preferably.many thanks

Did they give you any notice before they increased? Just that my son was in a council run nursery, in Balham, and they notified us before they increased the fees and the reasons why. 60% is a huge amount!! I think ours was increased by 17%. Thankfully now at the stage where my son starts full time school nursery in September. Good luck.

Yes that's how I feel,It's actually 20% for most parents but because we had the discount its a lot more for us.and am about to go on mat leave with salary implications that has.am the main earner too so its like a double blow.we have no family incountryto help so childcare is kind of essential at least the first couple of months.sorry am whining....

Nikki, that is terrible for you. Really feel for you as it sounds like the nursery was convenient for your location. Why are they not allowing you to continue with a discount but with a 20% rise? Surely your discount shouldn't be affected?

Know what you mean about family not in country, as my family live i Australia, and my mother in law flits between here and Barbados. Whine away as it is really hard and especially as you have arrival no 2 due soon. Not sure what you could do besides discussing it with the nursery.

Thanks Nicole. That's the increase I feel would be fair too, even if only on a temp basis, say of 3 months and then go to full fees to give us time to find an alternative or win the lottery! Really upset as my daughter is so well settled there and with the upheaval of a new sibbling I want her to have somewhere she can escape it all. I guess I should talk to them but I am so angry now I'll just end up crying. To top it all I have no spare time as work is manic and have an interview to prepare which involves going to Europe 38 weeks pregnant (but that's for another thread...)

Amott Road is term time only and from 9 until around twelve each day, so not early enough for you I don't think. Although as a place to give you a bit of a breather each day while on maternity leave it might help. I don't think their list is long for over 3's doubtful they would have space for under (they take from 2.5).

Nikki, how awful. Shocking that you have not had more notice when the increase is so significant. I wonder whether you might get your local councillor involved?

Re the Villa, my guess is that the waiting list will be around 2 years (that's if you get on the waiting list at all, it is usually closed as demand is so high). They only take children at 2+.

Bellenden Day Nursery would also be close to you I think; but have no idea if they're any good.

Childminder would be another option perhaps? Most would now have a good idea if they will have a vacancy in Sept and when we were looking a few months ago there were plenty around the Rye Lane area.

Good luck.

Yes you're right Bellenden AliM is close. Had totally forgotten about it. Will check it out. Thanks for the tip. Also right about the Villa:2 years wait and list closed. How depressing. Also looking into contacting my councillor but can I find her contact details?No... Today has just been a bad bad day.

Cora thanks for the info re Amott Rd. My daughter is only 21 months but my be worth investigating further for later. I've heard good things about it.

My son is in a nhs nursery and they too have been hiking their prices up over the last 18 months due to a reduction in nhs funding but I think this has only been around the 20% mark so it is happening all over.. It still remains cheaper then others around the ED area and opens at 7 so I can find nothing else that suits my shift work..

Just to add about Amott Road, they take 4 children from 2 and a half and the rest from 3 with a total of 20. It is term time only and is a fab little resource which is pretty under rated in the area. I have been on mat leave for the past year and my son has been 3 mornings a week as well as 2 full days in his other nursery and alwAys loved it. Their waiting lists tend to be quite short I think.

The cheApest nursery in the area is the sure and firm foundation one on uplands road but I guess that is too far away for you but it works out at about ?36 a day I think (or was when I looked round it when it first opened)

If you put your postcode in here it will tell you who your councillors are and will give contact details:

http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/mgFindCouncillor.aspx

They may be able to help if it is a council-run nursery. If you are in the P. Rye area it might be Renata Hamvas who posts on here so you could pm her.

You could also look into Camberwell Grove early years centre (unless of course that's where your daughter is currently!).

I really do feel for you, it is truly awful to have to worry about childcare.

• 2 weeks later...

BellendenBear Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has anyone had anyone managed to contact the new

> 'Destiny' nursery on Coppleston Road? They are not

> replying to my emails and can't find a phone

> number.

No luck either with emails and I also can't find a contact number. Not a good a first impression!

I used the Destiny kids website link, clicked on the contact us and completed my details. I received a call back from them the next day. I have some reservations as the individual who called was not very professional on the phone but I am going for a visit later this week and will report back. tel: 0207 732 2544

i also had difficulties getting hold of them, email unanswered but called the number on website and they called me back within 24hrs. I also got the impression they weren't very professional and decided to postpone visit. They said they were looking for FT positions.

• 6 months later...
nikki, try My Favourite Nursery on Upland Road. They might have openings. Coming from Peckham Rye station, the No. 12 bus will drop you off on it's doorstep. Alternatively, if you were able to get a place at gumboots and were planning on walking, this would b even closer. Near the junciton of Barry Road and Upland Road. I don't have number handy, but if you google it, should come up.