Grove Tavern Harvester

ricci

The buildings may have disappeared but no the history hasn?t been lost forever otherwise we wouldn?t be discussing it, history like this is kept alive even more so in these days of the internet and amateur enthusiasts. There?s history and there?s nostalgia ...

Flocker Spotter said:

"it died out as it is in a terrible location and cannot economically justify being a food and drink outlet - no one with any sense would trek up to this polluted wasteland for a night out."

Not true! It "died out" when it ceased to be a Harvester and the salad bar disappeared. The bar area was much smaller than the restaurant, but it was a really good family place to go where you could have a good meal at a reasonable price. When Harvester gave it up, everybody was asking "Where has the salad bar gone?" - the new pub co didn't advertise the fact it was no longer a Harvester so no one knew! No one else seemed to be able to make a go of it. The new pub co couldn't put prices up for the same style of food, they failed to notice how much the salad bar was missed (and I can't imagine it was expensive to provide) plus the rent was too high and then there was a fire in the kitchen and it closed down.

Lots of people live here on the border of East Dulwich within a stone's throw of the Grove (including myself) and it was the only pub/restaurant on our doorstep so I disagree that the location is terrible.

As EDOldie points out, there has been a pub on that site for hundreds of years. And I read somewhere that on the same site used to be a school attended by a very young George Gordon Byron!

Now my closest pub is the Capitol in Forest Hill, which I am not keen on. There is the Plough, which I think is a pretty decent pub. The food is a little over-elaborate and therefore over-priced (what's wrong with a cheese roll or a pork pie?) but the atmosphere is good and it has a lovely beer garden.

Like all good things in this neighbourhood, the Harvester was a victim of the dreaded G word. Plenty of folk would still use a Harvester, but because a load of wealthy foodies move into the area, rents go up, and cheaper places can no longer justify remaining at the increased rental. Simple as that really.

It?s all well and good a bunch of people saying that?s not true, but the proof is in the pudding. Also, those luvvies and foodies who now call ED home, don?t really notice because the increased rentals provide them with exactly the sort of overpriced eatery they love. It?s win-win for them. The rest of us who like a bargain, are more marginalised than ever for a cheap meal out. Unless you don?t mind traipsing to the nearest Wetherspoons!

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Like all good things in this neighbourhood, the

> Harvester was a victim of the dreaded G word.

Louisa, I entirely respect your status as one of the elder statespersons of the neighbourhood, and I'm a comparative incomer having only knocked around this neck of the woods since 1997, but with all respect, I don't think everything's gone to the bad since the good old days, has it? There have been some improvements!

ditto the Heaton Arms/Cooperative Building which from memory was a two or three story department store. Now converted into flats with shops at pavement level.

It reminds me of a number of the pubs that used to be on the Old Kent Road which in their day were land marks and have all since gone. The World Turned Upside Down, The Thomas A Becket, The Dunn Cow, The Green Man, Frog and Nightgown

Fliss Wrote:

>

> Now my closest pub is the Capitol in Forest Hill,

> which I am not keen on. There is the Plough,

> which I think is a pretty decent pub. The food is

> a little over-elaborate and therefore over-priced

> (what's wrong with a cheese roll or a pork pie?)

> but the atmosphere is good and it has a lovely

> beer garden.

I thought the Capitol closed - still open though - but could so easily get the same atmosphere as the Prince of Wales in Cardiff ( a lovely spoons pub) if it was tidied.

dbboy Wrote:

> ditto the Heaton Arms/Cooperative Building which

> from memory was a two or three story department

> store. Now converted into flats with shops at

> pavement level.

>

I still drink there (being as it's home LOL).

Agree also with Flizz.

What could be really popular would be a family friendly restaurant/pub with a great outside playing space. Just a small climbing frame & a couple of swings would do it.

Since the Herne removed it's playground there isn't really anywhere within walking distance where the kids can play outside while you eat. Yes, the site doesn't look very appealing as it is, but a refurb would go along way.

It's on the south circular FFS (wasteland???), if it had decent food & a nice garden people will incorporate a stop there on their journey through, not to mention plenty of mums & dads with very young children meeting for lunch/coffee in the week.

Also just a hop on numerous busses from LL.

rendelharris Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Like all good things in this neighbourhood, the

> > Harvester was a victim of the dreaded G word.

>

> Louisa, I entirely respect your status as one of

> the elder statespersons of the neighbourhood, and

> I'm a comparative incomer having only knocked

> around this neck of the woods since 1997, but with

> all respect, I don't think everything's gone to

> the bad since the good old days, has it? There

> have been some improvements!

The Grove Tavern, as was, was (dare I say it) a middle class food destination back in the day LONG before it fell from grace and became a Harvester. The Harvester failed due to the lack of quality & dire service, even by a Harvesters' standards (and dubious fires..)

Louisa is, as always, talking horse eggs.

I recall when the Grove's garden was well used - BBQs in the summer and children playing. It was a good place to go - both car parks were open then (one used to have a boot sale there every month) - a good community pub serving both sides of Lordship Lane there.

The Grove was busy right up to the time it went out of business following the, er, rather odd fire just following a major refit of the property. It would be our local and is much missed, so I don't think it was a victim of changing tastes in the area at all.

If the property was owned/leased by anyone other than the Dulwich Estate and the current lessee (neither of whom have appear to have any interest in developing a pub/restaurant facility for use by local people, but rather want to build housing/lock out competition in the area) it would have been reopened long before now.

It would be good if it could be turned into a small hotel with a pub / restaurant. Like the Half Moon or Dog. I remember lots of people saying the old Forest Hill Tavern would never work as it was in a supposed 'dead zone'. Seems like it's pretty busy most of the time now. If you can make somewhere a good destination the people will come.

Ah, yes Penguin68, The Grove garden was the place to be in those halcyon summer days of the mid 70's. Sipping on your vodka and bitter lemon with your friends and hoping all the boys you knew would stroll in. *Sigh*

GSJ57 Wrote:

> Ah, yes Penguin68, The Grove garden was the place

> to be in those halcyon summer days of the mid

> 70's. Sipping on your vodka and bitter lemon with

> your friends and hoping all the boys you knew

> would stroll in. *Sigh*

What was the name of the "Posh" resturant at the Grove that you hoped you would be taken too.Maybe no one left who will remember