Tuesday 9th August - Any trouble affecting East Dulwich?

I guess it would be prudent to get home from work if your husband's employers don't mind. I'm on my way homes and the atmosphere is tense, I suspect it will only get worse the later the day goes on. lots of police cars en route to camberwell, new Kent road etc.

BillyPilgrim Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone know if the EDT is open?

It was when I came past an hour ago, but also five police vehicles with sirens screaming heading for that section of LL and some shall we say 'unusual groups' (for ED) hovering nearby. I really wouldn't head down there for a drink today.

LJ - I would advise coming home early .

I'm just back in from Peckham and Camberwell .

Shops in Peckham have been advised to close by police - whether they are just being cautious or they have some information I don't know .

MacDonalds in Camberwell has closed and the manager told me that he'd had trouble in the Walworth Rd branch earlier today .

Guy on bus just now trying to pick a fight with a middleaged guy " Why are you looking at me ? You're looking at me like a girl ..etc "

Two of us walked around Peckham this morning, my mate is a journo and we took photos, the damage is worse than i thought, Greggs bakers is completely burnt through (may have to be demolished?), so damage from Burger King going up towards ED side. Broken windows, shutters forced, clothes shops, mobile phone shops, supermarkets broken into. There was talk of a gang meeting at the Plough this afternoon and heading down LL making people panic. We drove that way and there was nothing coming down, they headed toward Forest Hill apparently. Don't know the outcome of that yet (anybody?). Lots of people hanging around ED central (waiting?). We offered help in Peckham and ED. Shops are boarding up windows to be cautious and many shops and cafes are closed. Coop was packed and is staying open they have said.

The people are great. But please don't make up stories or spread unconfirmed rumours.

We were told to go home and stay home. We were told by a local landlord that groups of youth were heading to LL from Penge and Sydenham. He had already seen a lady on her knees in the street (i think he said on LL) who looked as if she had been assaulted.

It seems Blackberry Messenger is being widely used by these youth to organise themselves. An example: my brother has just told me that a shop in Ealing which belongs to a small family business he works for is being lined up as a target for tonight.

Im in central London at the moment, most of the high end stores on Bond Street are already closed my problem is getting home. Can anyone tell me if Forest Hill Station area is affected? Would i be better coming home via East Dulwich Station and walking?

Thanks all - seems like any comments on the forest hill forum refer to smashed windows from last night.

Nothing else said from today - but shops all closing.

Will decide what to do when we leave.

Can't believe this will be the fourth day of chaos - it is so scary and uneccessary.

Vic