Tuesday 9th August - Any trouble affecting East Dulwich?

I saw the 2 of the 8 youths not 6 at costcutter shop buying some cigarettes, in fact as I was leaving the shop one of the shout at me "how you doing!", once I look at them I realise they were the local guys I engaged in chat recently on a night bus.

They are not the troublemakers Gem or anyone else, they just happen to wrongly meet your expectations of looters or rioters.

I just hope the police ignore that called and did not bother that group of inocent local kids.

Please let's move on to the subject of this thread... Any trouble AFFECTING East Dulwich?

I feel sorry for the majority of kids, black or white, who are not involved with this nonsense. All written off so readily because of the way they look and dress, very sad.

Anyroad, the atmosphere out there now seems civilised and friendly. Pubs still convivial. I don't think it would take long for most of the customers to chase off trouble.

#wotnoriot is an interesting thread on twitter.

also seemed to be many people walking the lane looking to see what was happening. not a lot. looked good in the EDT and palmerston (?sp.). 3 police by foxton. those windows looked inviting to me.

meanwhile, i realised that i was looking at everyone under 30, or wearing a hoodie, or on a bike as a potential 'yoof'. Then realised they were the same boys as normal on the lane. 2 boys on bikes outside the pizza shop. they turned out to be eating pizza.

so london riots is divisive. oh- we knew that already.

I have been in the EDT from about 8:30 til now. All peaceful on LL and just lovely to see the residents rallying around and putting on a presence to preserve the lovely East Dulwich. That in itself is a deterrant and I think it is all good in the hood now :-) x

A gang of about 10 kids just tried to break into Corrners shop beside the Canning pub... The lovely Irish rugby boys plus other burly local residents chased them off. Police reaction pretty good. Several vans and a helicopter, all within a matter of minutes...

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's all over. The kids have had their fun, and

> upgraded their trainers. They've stocked up on

> xbox games. Now the police have gathered ranks,

> they've called it quits.

>

> Nothing further to see here.

Jeremy Wrote:

> It's all over. The kids have had their fun, and

> upgraded their trainers. They've stocked up on

> xbox games. Now the police have gathered ranks,

> they've called it quits.

>

> Nothing further to see here.

I don't think so. The riots were highly organised by gang "olders" and last night's peace across London was probably planned.

Cassius Wrote:

> How many nights can London afford to have 16,000

> officers on the streets for?

And how many nights can the places we've "borrowed" those extra police from afford not to have them doing their normal jobs?

KPR Wrote:

> I have many pictures much like the ones attached

> of the trouble in peckham.... who should I send

> them onto..... lets get these pictures out there

> and hopefully catch these disgusting criminals...

Excellent work, KRP.

This was the place that was set up for name-and-shame pics: http://catchalooter.tumblr.com/ But as you can see there are now too many. However, it does contain some useful info over where to send other pics (apart from the police of course), which includes Twitter (using the hashtags #tweetalooter or #shopalooter) and Crimestoppers.

benmorg Wrote:

> I don't think so. The riots were highly organised

> by gang "olders" and last night's peace across

> London was probably planned.

While there was an element of that (I've heard reports of kids dropped off by BMW SUVs and going after high-value electircal goods), I'm sure this was the minority. Most of the pictures I've seen have been of kids taking trainers, clothes, booze, games... obviously for personal consumption. It was quiet last night because they knew police numbers were increasing, and they probably wouldn't get away with it this time.

I have just sent the petition to most of my email address book. A friend replied that at 8pm last night it was at 27,000 signatures, now it is at 58,000+ so there is a good following!

I have also shared on facebook.

Thanks to all those who kept us up-to-date yesterday. It took my 2 hours to get home rather than 35mins due to tube delays but it was good to know that there was no trouble waiting at ED.

> If 100,000 sign it it will be discussed in Parliament.

Then we're just wasting the politician's time, and diverting their attention away from genuine answers.

> It would probably have a bit more cred if the author used his spell check.

No, it wouldn't.

We shouldn't even be discussing this on here... it's just silly.

There are, sadly, opportunists in all walks of life and these people are too selfish to see the effect their actions have on individuals, the community and the country. Some of the thefts were carried out by kids, some by gangs and some by those who don't fit the stereotype e.g. one man that has been convicted is a teaching assistant. Pathetic.

I totally deplore the mindless thuggery that we have seen during the last few days. However, I cannot see how the removal of financial benefits from anyone convicted of criminal acts during the riots would help. If the people in question have even less money than they had before because of the removal of their benefits, they will only go robbing again to compensate themselves for the loss of income.

I agree with Zebedee Tring. What they did is disgusting, but removing financial support is not going to help. It will make crime even more of a problem.

How anyone things rioting in this manner is acceptable is beyond me. However, maybe we should be trying to get look at why and how kids are thinking this is ok to ensure there is not a repeat through future generations. That would be a productive way moving forward.