Thread of merged messages about incidents outside ED

Administrator

Lies lies lies. Camberwell is quiet, McDonalds is busy, all other shops closed it seems. No fires, no sirens, no youths, no trouble. Anyone care to elaborate on how they got this "intelligence"?

Also, did it occur to anyone with regard to the sirens racing through East Dulwich towards Camberwell, that there's a rather large hospital in that direction that you may have heard of?

Just heard herne hill has kicked off and lordship lane shops are shuting. The bbc says the police are "considering" plastic bullets. They should stop considering them and bloody well start firing them.

Annie N Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> McDonalds on fire. all businesses being shut down

> in Camberwell

Hi Annie

Have you actually seen the fire... ??

Twitter suggest there is no fire in Camberwell.

Please I appeal to posters here not to spread hearsy.

Fox

If you're worried, stay at home. If you have no first hand knowledge of what you're "informing" everyone about, why tell us? It's probably not true, and you've just made it up as you're an attention seeking moron.

Does anyone know what's happening in Brixton this afternoon - is there any trouble? I need to pick up my children from childminders there later. Not sure whether better to pick them up now if it's all flaring up again.

I've just come down through south London via Elephant, Walworth Road, Camberwell Green, LL, on the buses. I had heard - on the Guardian website - that there was trouble on Denmark Hill/outside MacDonalds, with looting and people taking shelter in local shops. Nothing going on when I got there - 2.20 - but most shops (80%) had the shutters down or half down (100% up in Camberwell Rd). Lots of damage around junction East St/Walworth Rd, and people doing repairs (including the Sally Army shop). Shops on Denmark Hill mostly shut. Some businesses on Champion Hill (?) also shut. Lots of hold-ups, traffic, police cars, sirens blazing, as soon as came over brow of hill into ED. Atmosphere on LL felt somewhat ugly/odd, and some strange types around (not your normal ED LL experience). Plough shops being advised to close.

35 and 176 buses running okay 30 minutes ago. But things seem to be changing minute by minute.

OK - A quick Twitter summary (so treat with usual caution):

- ED, Camberwell, Sydenham, Penge, Putney, Richmond - all shut down but no sign of trouble

- McDonalds in Camberwell was never on fire

- False rumour starting that Kings is evacuating

- Plenty of police but nothing happening on Walworth Road

I've just walked from London Bridge to Camberwell (3pm-ish). No fires, no riots, not even groups of people hanging around - atmosphere is calm. Didn't see many police.

Virtually everything from E&C to Denmark Hill is shut though.

Loz Wrote:

> OK - A quick Twitter summary (so treat with usual

> caution):

>

> - ED, Camberwell, Sydenham, Penge, Putney,

> Richmond - all shut down but no sign of trouble

> - McDonalds in Camberwell was never on fire

> - False rumour starting that Kings is evacuating

> - Plenty of police but nothing happening on

> Walworth Road

Yeah, McDonalds was most certainly not on fire an hour after that rumour went out. I changed from 35 to 176 without problems, though some old Rasta guy who got on the bus and sang the whole way to ED about fire and burning was a little unnerving ;-)

I went out to put the bins out and saw two police officers patrolling the beat down my road. (It was lovely to see actually... such a shame about the reason why they were actually doing it!) I asked them how things were in general and they informed me that there were youths gathering in Sydenham and Crystal Palace but that they had heard nothing about East Dulwich as yet. They were being updated every 15 mins by radio. Their advice was to stay indoors.

Hello,

I work at the Maudlsey Hospital. We were told about 3.00pm this afternoon to cancel all patients, and make our way home, due to rumours of problems in Camberwell.

I cycled home via Denmark Hill, Ruskin Park, Herne Hill and Brockwell Park to Brixton Hill around 3.30, and saw no trouble. Cannot confirm is anything is / isn't going on in Camberwell.

nailil Wrote:

> Just got off the 'phone with a local tradesman who

> informed met hat the police are shutting down

> Lordship Lane.

xxxxx

Well that's just not true because I spoke to a police man and woman patrolling Lordship Lane, around 3pm, and there is no way that they are shutting places down, in fact they said it was "business as usual" and if people chose to close down that was up to them.

They had no info at all re any reason for anywhere on Lordship Lane to close down.