Mindless Thugs in East Dulwich

MrPoole

MrPoole Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My argument is that I wanted a future, and I

> worked for it.

>

> You don't need to go to university for that.

Yep same as me..I worked hard to get to my position today

I worked up the ladder..taking on crap jobs to build up my cv.

these kids are lazy.....They want something for nothing!.

I think its been nice to hear some views from new people joining the forum - although agree with rosie that some we could have done without. This isn't one of them and to be fair to MrPoole, not everyone who starts a thread means to start one that has repeated sentiments expressed elsewhere on the forum.

I don't think their post is cliched at all but some of the responses on here are. I remember starting a thread about the delays to the 12 when I first joined here and another user helpfully pointed me towards the right thread.

I started a thread expressing my own opinion, someone whom is likely to be of similar age to these yobs. Everyone else can express their own, but I refuse to be bullied upon a forum page!

It seems like this whole forum page is one big contradiction.

Some saying these thugs are those from council estates and thrown out their houses at 16 from unloving families.

Some saying they are teachers, students, young professionals, ect.

It's quite probable the majority are somewhere inbeween, I.e. Me.

And so, re-read my initial post and I stick to my original views and opinions.

it was a mix some young people bored and being stupid some older working people thinking im gona get in on that action. I just think its funny normally people have a moan about football supporters causing trouble now millwall and charlton supporters are patrolling the streets wouldnt want to run into them in a dark alley.

thank god its all carmed down touch wood.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "There is nothing cliched about my original post.

> "

>

> Now, you SAY that MrPoole, but you took an opinion

> expressed by about half the populationon here and

> felt you could start a new thread saying much the

> same thing. Was that necessary? Or a smidge

> cliched

Oooo Stafer.

Leave Professor 'iggins alone.

Now where were we?

Ah yes, " an' gravel for breakfast "

( you DID have breakfast didn't you professor ? )

NETTE ( insert quizzical icon here )

I have to reply to little Richard- when was the solution to everything- the youth going to youth clubs? How many of us are who we are because of those cracking youth clubs we used to go to? I grew up in a small village with f#%k all to do and no amazing career prospects but we didn't riot the local village shop because we were owed a living.

i was being iconci it s dificult but eh kids have nothign to do now and no monye and hang aruond on street corners like kids do but what they get itno mischeif it too dangerus out there now what if the brockely boyz come onto the turf then they have to fight and defned their turf if they were not on the street and in a cloub then interloprs wuold have less chance to cuase mayhem and travel around wiht there free bus passess maybe to stop lotin we shuold take thei oyster crads from them intsaed lol

typical liberal pinko nonsense, he and the LIBERALS like him actually CAUSED the riots.

The real reason is because their feral scumbags who have never had it so good with theyre trainers and playstations. We should come down on them hard with BASEBALL BATS, round them up on a desert island and throw away the key, and then make them join the ARMY, send them to afganistan, that will soon whip them into shape.

SHAME ON YOU RosieH your worse than the rioters.

I read the link you posted - most of it makes senses - particularly around lack of social normality eg no family, no jobs, etc

However, the author, having used several hundred words of academic language, finishes off with an ill-informed, simplistic and ignorant ranting against bankers and hence undermines the credibility of his entire argument. It seems that "right wingers" don't have the monopoly on sweeping generalisations.

I disagree.

I think there is a genuine belief that those with power and authority - be they bankers, politicians, journalists or the police - can get away with things that ordinary citizens can't. I hear this regularly from friends: put together MPs expenses, bankers' bonuses, corruption at NOTW and the Met and there's a very real, very palpable sense of anger.

That's not to say that the riots were directly motivated by that, I don't think for a minute that they were, but I do think that that drip feed of a sense of injustice and other people "helping themselves" and going unpunished helped, along with the other factors mentioned in the article, to cook up a perfect storm that resulted in one almighty f*ck you.

If you live a normal life of absolute futility, which we can assume most of this week?s rioters do, excitement of any kind is welcome. The people who wrecked swathes of property, burned vehicles and terrorised communities have no moral compass to make them susceptible to guilt or shame. They are illiterate and innumerate, beyond maybe some dexterity with computer games and BlackBerries. They are essentially wild beasts... I use that phrase advisedly, because it seems appropriate to young people bereft of the discipline that might make them employable; of the conscience that distinguishes between right and wrong. The depressing truth is that at the bottom of our society is a layer of young people with no skills, education, values or aspirations. They do not have what most of us would call ?lives?: they simply exist.

Today, those at the bottom of society behave no better than their forebears, but the welfare state has relieved them from hunger and real want. When social surveys speak of ?deprivation? and ?poverty?, this is entirely relative. Meanwhile, sanctions for wrongdoing have largely vanished. A key factor in delinquency is lack of effective sanctions to deter it. From an early stage, feral children discover that they can bully fellow pupils at school, shout abuse at people in the streets, urinate outside pubs, hurl litter from car windows, play car radios at deafening volumes, and, indeed, commit casual assaults with only a negligible prospect of facing rebuke, far less retribution. Anyone who reproaches a spoilt and sociopathically stunted child, far less an adult, for discarding rubbish, making a racket, committing vandalism or driving unsociably will receive in return a torrent of obscenities, if not violence. So who is to blame? The breakdown of families, the pernicious promotion of single motherhood as a desirable state, the decline of domestic life so that even shared meals are a rarity, have all contributed importantly to the condition of the young underclass.

They have no code of values to dissuade them from behaving anti-socially or, indeed, criminally, and small chance of being punished if they do so. They appear to have no sense of responsibility for themselves, far less towards others, and look to no future beyond the next meal, sexual encounter or video game.