Mindless Thugs in East Dulwich

MrPoole

Like I said this is underline problem with these youths, sending them jail will not solve the problem in the long run they will just come out of jail and continue as before. As to your post fathers that were fighting the war are not the same type of fathers that these youths have lot of fathers to these kids are feckless, drug addicts, violent, you cannot compare it not the same.

Ridgley, you make my point for me, really, if you think about it. During much tougher circumstances, people behaved. Why can't they now, apparently?

Max Hastings' article, as pasted above by someone, has it 100pc, in my view. When do we have the guts to go something about this as a country? How long must the hardworking majority pay throughthe nose for these scum to sit at home (or worse)? How many of us sacrifice a great deal for private education to avoid our children suffering the "crowd control" that is the learning experience of modern state schools?

I grew up in ED in Spurling Road, it was condemmed twice as a slum area due to the poor condition of most of the rented housing. We had 2 families living in our house, no hot water or bathroom and one toilet in back yard.My Dad walked out on my Mum when I was 2, Mum tried to get benefits but was told she was a healthy young woman go and get a job. I went to DK Hill Nursery for 3 years.Through illness I became deaf and had 6 years of speech theraphy. Although I got 8 GCE's and an A level, the Civil Service decided I was too disabled to be employed by them as a clerical officer (min. qualification 5 GCEs) I was eventually employed by the GLC then ILEA and gained several promotions. At the age of 40 following redundancy I went to Uni, got a 2:1 degree then did a 2 year post grad professional qualification - I had a small grant but supported myself and family for 5 years on my redundancy money and holiday jobs.

I was brought up in poverty, Mum worked as a shop assistant, there were days when finding money for food was a problem,I was sent to my great aunts and grandmother for weekends as Mum knew I would be fed by them. I had the added disadvantage of being disabled and everyone in those days assummed if you had a physical disability you automatically had a severe learning disability. I have never turned to violence, never blamed my lack of employment on my disability, in fact when the Civil Service some months later offered me a clerical assistants job (2 GCE qualification) I had great satisfaction in telling them to 'stuff it' in polite terms. My background and disability made me want to suceed even more - to show all those people who said I would only have a dead end job that despite my background/disability I could and would have a better life.

I became a single mother for 2-3 years following a relationship where my partner spent most of his money in the pub, but

married a few years later to a man who has a life long disability and was frequently unemployed. Both of our girls had the normal teenage 'rebellions' - they had their freedoms but always knew they could only go so far with us.

Both went to University and worked during their studies and holidays. Eldest daughter now has 2 children 12 and 7, she and her partner are easy going but hot on discipline and the kids respond to this. They have very little money as have a mortgage and they put by what they can to purchase goods for the house.

Coming from a one parent family and having poor housing does not give you the right to riot/loot or engage in violence, this is an excuse trotted out for every anti social act. I do detest women who say 'my daughter is my best friend' get real - you are the parent and should act like one setting boundaries etc.

I have a theory that todays young are the products of the Thatcher generation where individual wealth was seen as the pinnacle of your success, where the 20+ generation of 1979 onwards strove to have more than their friends/neighbours

always wanting the latest and most expensive trends. I met such people in that era who wanted to show their' love' of their children by buying all that the child asked for, the latest computor/trainer. That gimme gimme generation have to a certain extent made the materialist young people we have seen on our streets recently - those who think society owes them a certain standard of living, but they are not prepared to work for it. Many young people do not have a job and not for the lack of trying - these youngsters have turned to voluntary work, to fill their days, to get experience and for enjoyment. Many eventually find employment through their voluntary work as they show committment and maturity.

How do we mend this society? there is no clear answer - parents must be parents not mates and set boundaries and standards for their kids, schools to realise that not everyone is good at exams and expand their vocational courses.

There are many more decent, honest youngsters out there than 'bad uns'and they are equally disgusted at their peers.

More family centred activities in the community are required catering from tots to teens and those in their dotage.

I do not know the answer.

New mother I am a hard working tax payer never been out of job myself, I do come from a working class back ground. I do understand your point but one size does not fit all there are some youths that will have a life of crime and jail will be the answer but there are some that needs help to turn there life a round.

Malcolm X had a life of crime in and out of jail until he found his faith there are also some great mentors who also had a life of crime and now they work in the comunity. I am just saying we should not just right all of them off.

New Mother - your quote 'Ridgley, you make my point for me, really, if you think about it. During much tougher circumstances, people behaved. Why can't they now, apparently?' is not factually accurate. During WW2 homes, shops and dead bodies were looted. I would check out this article for a more balanced view on the topic:Looting in WW2 .

Pugwash said "parents must be parents not mates and set boundaries and standards for their kids".

So true. I sometimes wonder why we have youth workers when what we really need are parent workers. Children are born amoral, they have no idea of right from wrong unless someone teaches it to them.

I hate to quote from a newspaper but when I read of a mother of a 12year old bleating that, "As a mother I can't be held responsible for my child", I really did despair.

I might add that the photograph of the child showed he was clearly small enough to be within the limits of parental control.

To anyone who did grow up in poverty and do well, let us know if your only known parent was a drunk/drug addict who encouraged you to roam the streets at night and expected you to contribute to the family finances through criminal activity. If so, then I'll be highly impressed by your work ethic in adulthood. Otherwise then perhaps it's not a fair comparison with the thugs under discussion.