Traffic Closure of Rye Lane? - UPDATE - Now Re-opened!

If it is not Thames Water, is it Riots....

Any ideas on how long Rye Lane will be shut for this time? I take it this is caused to making safe the damage to the buildings by Greggs etc??

Also, why is the number 12 being diverted left at the junction of Peckham Rye and East Dulwich Road? Is the normal diversion that we suffered so long for earlier this year no good for it now? (avoiding Rye Lane via Copeland road)

Looks like months of commuter misery again to me...

The 12 goes up Dog Kennel Hill, passes King College Hospital. I've got it a couple of times in the last week, but this morning the driver wouldn't let anyone off as he said he was on a 2 mile diversion and couldn't stop until he got to a certain point (probably where the 12 normally meets Camberwell). We persuaded him to let us off at Denmark Hill!

DJKQ - Where do you get this information from, and is it publically available? I would like to see a plan of these works if possible.

I cant remember what the shop next to Greggs was - pretty non descript in my recollection, but any idea of why it was targeted for arson?

When I was on Rye Lane Friday eve, the whole block containing the razed building was closed off to pedestrians so if that's still the case every business in that section will be closed. I had to go round the back to get through to Rye Lane and the damage to the building was total. I should imagine there's a real danger it could collapse in its current state. Pity the poor sods with businesses in that section.

Yesterday that section of road was open to pedestrains .

Several of the shops in that section were open ,but not the Post Office .

Shop next to Gregs that burnt out was Regens ,sold lingerie/bras etc .

I'd be interested to know why 12 bus going up Dog Kennel Hill ,it's causing no end of misunderstandings ,as it's not clear if you board it before East Dulwich Rd where it's going .

Via the tfl.gov.uk Live Travel News page, a Bus menu selection, then Today and entry of the route number 12 in the Disruption box, eventually got (from here):

"RYE LANE, SE15: From 0800 Wednesday 9 August until 0900 Tuesday 18 August, due to crane operation at Choumert Road, buses are diverted in both directions between Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill. Services are subject to minor delays.

"Diversion: From Peckham Rye, via East Dulwich Road, Grove Vale, Dog Kennel Hill, Champion Park and Denmark Hill to normal line of route in both directions.

"Stops missed:

Heaton Road

Nigel Road

Peckham Rye /East Dulwich Road

The Academy At Peckham

Southampton Way

Southwark Town Hall

St.Giles Church

Camberwell Ch St/Camberwell Gn"

Today is Tuesday, but 16 August, not 18. I've just put in an online notification (under category Complaint/TFL/Corporate Information - hope that was a good choice) to TFL.

Which way are they actually going now?

I haven't been anywhere near the closed section for over a week now, and from a purely selfish point of view I've been enjoying the faster journey to Camberwell while the 12 is on diversion. Does anyone know if they've finished the roadworks near Nigel Road yet? I'm guessing not.

I?d like to start a petition to retain the current route of the No 12 bus. The diversion is ideal for me, Barry road to Whitehall, avoiding the congested route of Peckham and Camberwell. My journey now takes 45mins, at least it would if it wasn?t for those commuters who board the bus and bully the driver into letting them off at the stops between East Dulwich Road and Kings College Hospital.

the shop next to Greggs was a really good ladies underwear shop, can't remembers it's name now but it had sweet young ladies who would help with fitting bras properly and I know friends who will miss that shop sorely.

Why anyone would want to target that particular shop I really couldn't say.

ilondoner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I?d like to start a petition to retain the current

> route of the No 12 bus. The diversion is ideal for

> me, Barry road to Whitehall, avoiding the

> congested route of Peckham and Camberwell. My

> journey now takes 45mins, at least it would if it

> wasn?t for those commuters who board the bus and

> bully the driver into letting them off at the

> stops between East Dulwich Road and Kings College

> Hospital.

hear hear well said that poster