Vastly inflated commercial event in P Rye Park

I thought Louisa might be on here having a moan today but perhaps it isn't as bad as she feared - or maybe she's taken a few pills and gone to join the fun - or maybe she found out what the P in Crazy P stands for and has had a stroke (in more ways than one).

So far it has been no louder here than when the fair is on the Rye or when there's a local party going on. And I can still hear someone practising the violin and repeatedly missing the F#, so I'm thinking of calling Gala and asking them to turn it up.

By the way, Norman Jay MBE is about 60 and pretty much introduced the UK to house music in the 80s; Greg Wilson is similar; Mr Scruff and Crazy P have been playing jazz & funk on the festival circuit for at least 20 years - hardly aimed solely at the 18-30 hipster crowd.

ed26 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

And I can still hear someone practising

> the violin and repeatedly missing the F#, so I'm

> thinking of calling Gala and asking them to turn

> it up.

>

:))

I'm impressed.

You have perfect pitch?!

Sitting in the garden enjoying a vastly inflated glass of Prosecco and catching up on the papers. Soundtrack of planes, distant sirens, children playing a few doors down, grass being cut, shrubs being pruned, people enjoying a drink outside the pub, diy going on somewhere, birdsong and music from the Rye. Even with all its issues, London in the summer is a wonderful, tolerant place for everyone to enjoy in so many ways.

And that's not the Prosecco talking!

rendelharris Wrote:

> uncleglen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > The government gives money to the local council

> > but the local council are free to spend the

> money

> > on whatever you voted for...many Labour

> councils

> > will withhold money from the front line

> services

> > and spend more on admin at the Town Hall....YOU

> > have given them carte blanche to do this and do

> it

> > they will- with impunity if central Government

> is

> > Tory...so suck it up for another 4 years.

>

> "If you tell a lie big enough and keep on

> repeating it, people will eventually believe it" -

> Joseph Goebbels

>

> Don't know why that just came to mind...

I do- it comes into your mind with monotonous regularity rh- you haven't enough experience of politics on the ground to know that it is actually true

uncleglen Wrote:

> rendelharris Wrote:

> -----

> > uncleglen Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> >

> > > The government gives money to the local

> council

> > > but the local council are free to spend the

> > money

> > > on whatever you voted for...many Labour

> > councils

> > > will withhold money from the front line

> > services

> > > and spend more on admin at the Town

> Hall....YOU

> > > have given them carte blanche to do this and

> do

> > it

> > > they will- with impunity if central

> Government

> > is

> > > Tory...so suck it up for another 4 years.

> >

> > "If you tell a lie big enough and keep on

> > repeating it, people will eventually believe it"

> -

> > Joseph Goebbels

> >

> > Don't know why that just came to mind...

>

> I do- it comes into your mind with monotonous

> regularity rh- you haven't enough experience of

> politics on the ground to know that it is actually

> true

Quod est demonstrandum. Keep repeating your rubbish uncle, eventually somebody'll be silly enough to believe you.

To whom does one address one?s complaints?

Walking down Dunstan?s Road to purchase drinks from the coop I was totally unable to hear this ?Festival? until stood at the traffic lights opposite Colyton Road. Obviously a cynical attempt by these youngsters to force One to purchase tickets in order to hear their record players.

Then imagine my shock in finding the Coop no longer had stock of Coop carbonated water? It had all apparently been purchased by out-of-town youngsters asking for directions to Peckham Park. I then had to settle for a couple of bottles of Italian lager.

I hope someone finds the volume switch before Jam on the Rye begins tomorrow as I have big plans to eat Jerk Chicken in the back garden while drinking rum and smoking a spliff (or three).

Does anyone know who to phone in Southwark council if tomorrow?s music cant be heard in my shed over the usual din of DIY and garden mowers?

It seemed very well organised, although I see there were lots of complaints about the no entry after 4:30pm policy. I walked my dog on the park late afternoon. Remarkable how the park insulated the noise. Couldn't hear a thing walking down FHR. But then loud as hell in the park. Crowd seemed very friendly. And I saw a young woman doing the fastest flos I've ever seen. Heady dayz

We went yesterday, and had a great time. Obviously, the the line up may or may not be to your taste, but for the purposes of this thread the crowd were very well behaved, the security was light touch, the medics were _great_ (chatting to everyone who seemed like they might be a bit of a mess, but without making it into a drama), the food was tasty and the stages were incredibly well run with shaded areas for people out there all day. Would definitely go again. I was worried after the negative feedback following the last Gala, but all the logistics seemed to have been ironed out.

I completely take on board the concerns of the Friends of Peckham Rye Park, because if it had been wet the land would have been a mess. But we were lucky and it wasn't, so the Rye made a really lovely park setting with lots of shade for people to sit and just enjoy the day.

Really hoping that today's event goes as smoothly. I'd been considering getting a ticket for both days, but decided that that would have been excessive.

@ Sue - yes :-) but it also helps when you know what they are attempting to play.

Wish I'd gone. Family commitments took priority.

Totally agree with the concern about the park but as long as the litter is cleared away there isn't usually a problem. Grass is particularly resilient and it's not as if they used the bowling green as a dancefloor. I've been to festivals that have been knee-deep in mud and the spaces have recovered relatively quickly.

Se15mologist - well couldnt hear anything in the back garden so had to pay up and go to the Festival eventually.

High points there was a really friendly atmosphere, it is was very well organised, there was a lot of very good music, staff were great, and no obvious damage to the park that I saw.

Particularly liked main Reggae Roast stage myself.

Downsides were, as I expected food and drink inside were at ?full? prices. The cost probably put some people off but for a full day of really excellent bands and DJs it was about what you?d expect in London and I didn?t mind paying the ticket price.

Hope it happens again but maybe some thought goes in to how to attract more younger local people - with 60 on the horizon my hips struggle with Jungle music .... but it was fun trying.

Congrats then - seems it was very well organised. I don't think we can place age limits on these things - you're as young as you feel :)

if anything the streets were quieter than for a usual bank holiday.

We went along yesterday...

+ : amazing weather, friendly atmosphere, well organised, good beer, good food, music at kid-friendly volumes, plenty of shade. Free water.

- : only 10-12 food trucks, so as a "food festival" it fell short. Only one ice cream seller, with a huge queue. Expensive day out at ?30 entry, full price food, ?5 cans. The music got a bit boring... (I *do* like reggae, but prefer the more melodic variety rather than repetitive stuff with toasting over the top).

I think this thread was a good example of the forum - as it shows initial worries were unfounded and an event that is well planned and policed is welcomed by local residents.

If I was 'thisisgala' I'd save it :).

To be fair though, the Gala festival on Brockwell Park in 2016 was by all accounts an utter disaster. So concerns weren't necessarily unfounded. The key is these festivals is they come and go in a few days, everyone has a good time and the park isn't damaged. That isn't always the case (see Brockwell this year and last).

I went Saturday with a few friends on Saturday, loved it ! we all live with in a 5 minutes walk of the Park so were so pleased we could go to something like this without trekking across town... it was pretty chilled and well organised,didnt notice anyone working the event being impolite, We knew of a lot of people local who went. Really don't see the problem here, didn't tale up any more space then the Fair that usually visits the common, and a lot of the park was still usable for the Public.

One of our group lives right on the Rye and said when the event finished the crowds dispersed quickly and quietly with no trouble.

Funny, as this is the first time I've looked at this thread and saw all the negative comments from a few days ago BEFORE it started, and we were talking at the event about how we suspect there were the usual people on the forum probably spreading doom and gloom about it, (usually the same people) How right we were, and how predictable this forum has become... I just laugh at it now as its become a parody of itself 🤣

By the way I am nowhere near a trendy young hipster (that term is SO 2015) and I said goodbye to my 40's a while ago now ... have lived here over 20yrs, so hopefully I am not deemed an alien by now by the ED border police 😉

This seems, in the end, to have been a well organised event; very possibly helped (probably?) by the clear restrictions placed on the organisers by the council, following discussions between them and the organisers. Our elected representatives' interest may also have helped to keep them on the straight and narrow. Good things don't just happen, they need organisation, clear 'rules' and proper oversight. The initial concerns were not unreasonable here, but I think those concerns were effectively addressed. Luckily the hysteria on this thread didn't spread further than this thread. I hope if this event returns it will have the same oversight and care, rather than assuming that if it went right this time, it will again without having to worry about it.

spark67 Wrote:

> I went Saturday with a few friends on Saturday,

> loved it ! we all live with in a 5 minutes walk of

> the Park so were so pleased we could go to

> something like this without trekking across

> town... it was pretty chilled and well

> organised,didnt notice anyone working the event

> being impolite, We knew of a lot of people local

> who went. Really don't see the problem here,

> didn't tale up any more space then the Fair that

> usually visits the common, and a lot of the park

> was still unusable for the Public.

> One of our group lives right on the Rye and said

> when the event finished the cross dispersed

> quickly and quietly with no trouble.

> Funny, as this is the first time I've looked at

> this thread and saw all the negative comments from

> a few days ago BEFORE it started, and we were

> talking at the event about how we suspect there

> were the usual people on the forum probably

> spreading doom and gloom about it, probably

> (usually the same people) How right we were, and

> how predictable this forum has become... I just

> laugh at it now as its become a parody of itself

> 🤣

> By the way I am nowhere near a trendy young

> hipster (that term is SO 2015) and I said goodbye

> to my 40's a while ago now ... have lived here

> over 20yrs, so hopefully I am not deemed an alien

> by now by the ED border police 😉

Great to hear it went well for you and hopefully everyone else too. Peckham seems to have so much going for it now!