So was it worth it? ( the recent festival on Peckham Rye)

Some of you may have received an email about this already but for those who haven?t I thought I should let you know that the damage done to the ground caused by rain and high foot traffic will be repaired soon. These repairs are being paid for by the festival promoters.

It?s been really helpful reading the feedback on this and other threads in the Forum. Alongside the feedback I have seen elsewhere it seems to me that although the events were successful in many respects, there are certainly lessons to learn for future events.

Best wishes

James

We are the Fair were supposed to provide ground cover for vehicle movements during any wet conditions, they seemed to have forgotten this for the dismantling stage!!! To reiterate what James has said, they are responsible for footing the repair bill. To also report back, that the nesting woodpeckers that were of concern are still in nest.

Renata

They also seem to have "forgotten" to pick up hundreds of plastic ties that were used to hold the barriers together. These were just discarded on the ground and, it seems, the workmen had no instructions to pick them up. Dog walkers have told me that if a dog ate one, it could well be fatal and, at the very least, require a ?4,000 operation to remove the tie.

It's great news about the woodpeckers but I hope that Southwark will insist on a bat survey to see how the four pipistrelles have fared. Renata, will you chase this up?

TheTruthisOut Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Dog walkers have

> told me that if a dog ate one, it could well be

> fatal and, at the very least, require a ?4,000

> operation to remove the tie.

?4,000??!!??!!

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> Such incisive comments .The EDF is such a joy

> these days .

That's what happens to society when you get used to only having 140 characters

If budgets for maintaining the park have been cut as suggested in the post regarding the state of Peckham Rye park I can see the logic in allowing events so long as the revenue goes directly back into the park maintenance. I think there should be more consideration to how they can minimise damage to the grass by the lorrys etc. I think anyone who knows that area of the park is aware it does get very boggy in that part of the park when there is rain and we all know you can't rely on bank holiday weather !

I found the noise level on the Sunday pretty annoying. I was puzzled by a couple of comments on the other thread suggesting that the poster couldn't hear any noise by the CO OP, which is much closer than I am and wonder if that was due to the direction of speakers etc as I am north of the park. It may also be that the noise was bouncing off some of the taller flats north of the Rye. Certainly I could hear every word of each track and the DJs sounded like they were in my Garden. I was getting quite frustrated by the end of the day but this was probably because I was conscious it was loud enough to keep distracting my daughter who was trying to revise for A levels. I was therefore worried about the Monday event but found this a much more acceptable level. I wonder if future events could just be one day at a time to minimise the risk of 2 days of disruption. I would be against any plan to locate these type of events on the more open area of the common, as I suspect the lack of trees would mean even less sheilding from the noise.

Personally I used the really liked the old Irish festival and when we had the South American festival on the rye as they always seemed more inclusive of local people and feel the Sunday event felt like it was quite a narrow target audience.

JohnL Wrote:

> I thought the Sunday was ThisIsGala, The Monday

> was Jam on the Rye (mainly at Peckham Levels)

Nope, Jam on Rye was on the same site as the Gala festival. There was a "Peckham Levels" hosted stage there.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I thought the Sunday was ThisIsGala, The Monday

> > was Jam on the Rye (mainly at Peckham Levels)

>

> Nope, Jam on Rye was on the same site as the Gala

> festival. There was a "Peckham Levels" hosted

> stage there.

Oh I see - Should have walked down to have a look.

TheTruthisOut Wrote:

. Dog walkers have

> told me that if a dog ate one, it could well be

> fatal and, at the very least, require a ?4,000

> operation to remove the tie.

>

>

Did they give you a price estimate for any other ingestion issues as well or was this quote purely for the rather unlikely cable tie nomming scenario?

flocker spotter Wrote:

> TheTruthisOut Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> . Dog walkers have

> > told me that if a dog ate one, it could well be

> > fatal and, at the very least, require a ?4,000

> > operation to remove the tie.

> >

> >

>

> Did they give you a price estimate for any other

> ingestion issues as well or was this quote purely

> for the rather unlikely cable tie nomming

> scenario?

No, just in relation to the cable ties. Forgive me for not interrogating the dog walkers but I had not realised that the cost of the operation would be of greater interest than the issue of the plastic litter discarded by the organisers of the festival.

Perhaps a dog owner could enlighten us on the matter?

I feel really angry about the mess left behind after the Gala Festival. Its easily the prettiest, most natural and wild-meadow-like part of the park. I wanted to go down and have a picnic over the bank holiday weekend... :(

The grass had been completely churned up! I've no idea why they picked that spot out of all the grassy areas in the park.

I appreciate people want to have fun in the park, but it wasn't an open event (as far as I was aware) and you needed a ticket to go.

I've added a pics.

I'm equally saddened by the damage. All the posts above saying it's minimal clearly don't use / love the park.

Personally I don't really care if they think I'm boring for not wanting this to happen again - I'm all for festivals but prefer the ones in fields, where they're supposed to be.

Out of the entire park the churned up areas are what? 0.00?.....%

If we want to get like that I'm sure someone playing sport (who probably didn't pay a whacking fee to use it) has at times chewed up a little bit... Perspective people...

And maybe, just maybe, some people from the council who were aware of the big picture negotiated this all in advance, and as professionals on our behalf came to an agreement with what appears to be a pretty reasonable festival organiser.

From what I read and saw it all seems fine with the exception of music carrying up the hill. If it happens again I'd back anyone and be all in favour of some kind of acoustic barrier that way.

Just saying (and thinking a bit)

So much Nimbyism...

Sad. Really sad that people are blowing this so out of proportion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I think there?s plainly issues with the effect the noise had on the closest residents which does need to be addressed much better if they?re considering a repeat, but as for the rest? Nimbyism.