Best Sunday lunch?

EastdulwichNewbie

Common question - try the search box in the top right corner.

The usual suspects will be the Capitol Pub chain (Bishop, Actress, Victoria, Florence etc), Palmerston and Franklins.

If you want "traditional-traditional" then the White Horse in Peckham piles your plate high of decent-enough food for very little money.

A left-field choice would be Jacks cafe nr the Magnolia pub. You'll need to book as it is small but the food is wonderful and it's BYO with no corkage fee. The staff are lovely too.

Outside ED I'd very heavily recommend Joanna's in Crystal Palace for old-school class.

Nope. Tried most around here. Crooked Well and the Bear are the best, but still pretty average.

Over the last 10 to 20 years, a rather odd tradition has arisen of going out to the pub for Sunday lunch. It used to be most people cooked one at home, but in London at least this is a lot rarer and it has become something of a tradition to go to a pub for Sunday lunch.

Anyhow, what happens of course is that a popular pub (say the Herne, the Florence, the Victoria) can expect to do hundreds of Sunday lunches in a 3 to 4 hour period. My observation is that the kitchens can barely cope, corners are cut and quality suffers. Service too is often awful. But prices remain high. Even in pubs where the food is usually top notch (eg The Prince Regent), you often find that quality and service dips on a Sunday.

So that's why you should stay at home to cook sunday lunch. Unless you can't cook, can't be &rsed or like beer from the pump.

I've never had a home-made yorkshire pud like the ones at The Palmerston.

Although I guess I agree that most pubs do cut corners because of the volumes.

Some people don't like cooking, or would rather spend Sunday doing something more relaxing. And sometimes there doesn't seem much point cooking a roast if there's only two of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Jacks Sunday Roast on 2nd October still got tables left. Bookings between 12 and 4pm.....

Just doing the menu ... Salt Marsh Lamb, Dexter Beef, Sticky Toffee Pudding and Lemon Meringue Pie making an appearance on the menu. If you haven't tried us please book a table, i promise you will love us, i don't cook for more than 20 at a time, i never cut corners, i never compromise quality and cooking is top notch.

We have been shortlisted in to the Top 8 Cafes in London by London Lifestyle Awards from 4553 nominations which includes our Saturday Supper Nights and Sunday Roasts :))

AND it's BYO ... ?22.95 for 3 courses and kids ?7.95 for Mini Roast, Icecream n Bits plus a surprise!

To book call Jacks on 0207 1839135

or email : [email protected]

Our blog : www.chocolateconcreteandpinkcustard.blogspot.com

or pop in for a coffee and a chat during the week.

Cheers

Di :)-D

Hi charliebrown, do you mean Sunday 9th October for the roast lunches? How many spaces are left out of interest? (Do you have a vegetarian option too?)

Have heard really good things about your place but sadly whenever I seem to pop along there, its closed. Must be my timing. Really hope to try t out soon.

Thanks.

PS just realised I could have telephoned to ask but as I have typeds it all out anyway will leave for clarification for others who may want to book :)

Dear Katie and everybody

I'm such a wally!! I meant this week 2nd October for our Sunday Roast. We do 3 sittings so we have plenty of spaces left and it really is a family day out!Here is the menu for Sunday!

Leek, Spring Onion & Potato Soup

Spicy Salmon Croquettes, Sour Cream, Tomato & Chilli Jam

Chicken Liver & Madeira Parfait, Chutney, Pickles & Toast

Cod, Haddock & King Prawn Pie

Dexter Beef Brisket, Horseradish & Chive Cream

Slow Roast Shoulder of Salt Marsh Lamb, Onion & Fresh Mint Sauce

Both served with Yorkshire Puddings, Duck Fat Crispy Roast Tatties, Honey & Thyme Roasted Carrots, Swede & Parsnips, Kale & Lashings of gravy

Chocolate Sticky Toffee Pudding & Clotted Cream

Apple & Blackberry Crumble n Custard

Icecream n Bits

22.95 per person BYO

Lo's n Tots 7.95 including apple juice and squash for them!

TO BOOK email [email protected]

OR call 0207 1839135

OR tweet Jacksse22

I love to do different vegetarian meals so i tend not to write anything on the menu and when someone asks, i ask them what there favourite ingredients are and build a dish for them!! Plus veggies always seem to miss out on Yorkie Puds, so i always give the meal with Yorkie Puds.

Hope to see you soon pop in for a coffee soon.

Opening Times for Jacks....

Mon 1030-5

Tue 8.30-5

Wed 8.30-5

Thu 8.30-5

Fri 8.30-5

Sat 2 Saturdays a month Suppers!

Sun Monthly Roast Dinners!

xx

Archived