East Dulwich "Me & ED" Photo Competiton - The Winners

Vandalism isn't a game dbboy. It's a crime.

(Oops! Your original comment had been deleted. Not to worry. It's copied below)

dbboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Welidone, spray painters/graffiti paradise, let

> the games begin.

Hi everyone

Hopefully by now you'll have seen the winning entries from our Me&ED photo competition printed and hung throughout our village. Each shot was selected as capturing the spirit of East Dulwich.

We'd like to thank all entrants, and winners for taking part. Hopefully they'll brighten up your walk through town!

If you'd like to hunt them down, the photo banner locations are:

- Lordship Lane

- North Cross Road

- Townley Road

- Barry Road

- Forest Hill Road

- Melbourne Grove

- East Dulwich Road

- Crystal Palace Road

---------------------------

EAST DULWICH ACTION GROUP

The East Dulwich Action Group are a group of volunteers working with the community to celebrate the spirit of East Dulwich. We are comprised of local residents and businesses working together to deliver Southwark Council's High Street Challenge Initiative, and promote the area to residents and visitors alike.

Project Deliverables: East Dulwich Station Mural / East Dulwich Photo Exhibition / East Dulwich Banner Exhibition / North Cross Road Community Stall / Ongoing Market Improvements

Our project partners are: Southwark Council / Network Rail / Dulwich Festival

Find out more at:

www.LoveEastDulwich.com

They?re not small Vic. They?re just far away (ahhh, we miss Father Ted!!)

And the reason they are up high is because face height lamppost banners are a health and safety hazard.

But all feedback is good feedback. Thanks.

dbboy wrote:

????????-

> small and high

The East Dulwich Action Group are a group of volunteers working with the community to celebrate the spirit of East Dulwich. We are comprised of local residents and businesses working together to deliver Southwark Council's High Street Challenge Initiative, and promote the area to residents and visitors alike.

Project Deliverables: East Dulwich Station Mural / East Dulwich Photo Exhibition / East Dulwich Banner Exhibition / North Cross Road Community Stall / Ongoing Market Improvements

Find out more at:

www.LoveEastDulwich.com

It was feedback

Personal insults really? Shows the type of person you are. NASTY.

bcam Wrote:

> Is that your Tinder biog or a critique?

>

> dbboy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > small and high

Just a bit of lighthearted humour D.

AND showing great taste in tv.

Factually though, the banners are 2.2m x 750mm, which is the standard size across Southwark and lots of the UK. This format, with the coloured footers means the images aren?t TOO cropped, which we think works. Any taller and the images could be too cropped, and the printing would be more expensive.

We?re very happy with the end result and it was lovely walking down Lordship Lane seeing all the winning shots.

Other than the size and height, do you have a favourite shot Vic?

Again, all feedback is welcome, and thanks for taking the time.

Your posts yesterday and today are personal attacks on me, no one has behaved like this towards me in the 10 Plus years I've posted on this forum. I realsied that what I had posted on 11 March was inappropriate and so I deleted that post. But you thought you'd take things one step further. I have not been rude to you personally in any way, yet you think its OK to use my name which I kept private and which I had the right to do, rather than my username. You also think it's OK not to respond to the PM's I sent you and answer them publicly on the forum. So stop hiding behind the east DAG username.

I started posting about your photo competition because of the amount of disorganisation which was apparent, that must have touched a very raw nerve. The East DAG username represents the east dulwich action group, and as such you should respond as an organisation, not individually or make it personal. It looks like east DAG seem unable to take the rightful criticism I levelled at them about how things were being run.

Clearly you are now trying to force me to terminate my forum account when you've only posted here for a year, thanks for that.

Hi D

Your name is on your EDF profile. Go have a look. But the posts now use your handle only.

Didn?t see your pm?s as we rarely receive them, so it?s not checked regularly. And the Father Ted/tv reference in response to your feedback on the banners being ?small and high? comment was this:

If you haven?t seen it before, my humour fell flat. Ah well.

Thanks again for all your feedback through the project. All feedback is good feedback.

Bryan @ EDAG

• 2 weeks later...

I?m sure this will be an unpopular post ... but I think hanging plastic from lampposts is just tacky. The signage is comparable to something I?d expect to see in a leisure centre. We don?t need to add plastic to our street to make it beautiful - hanging baskets of flowers would have been wayyy better IMO.

Not to mention more plastic just waiting to be binned or recycled.

I get that it?s a nice project for the local community but IMO these bring zero to our streets. Could it have just lived within a gallery instead...? Not something I want to see everyday

Hi Ali

Thanks for your comments and concerns. It's not an unpopular post from our side, and please let me try to answer your points.

The Southwark Council "High Street Challenge" initiative has specific objectives for inclusion, and flower baskets wouldn't have met those criteria on the round we took part in. On top of that there is the ongoing costs of maintaining, regularly watering and replacing flower baskets. We agree they would be lovely however. If you'd like to look into pushing an initiative forward for the next round of funding, the website and info that we used is here: https://www.southwark.gov.uk/business/support-for-high-streets?chapter=2

We'd be happy to meet and chat with you if you do decide to go for it. Within our round, we delivered the train station mural, the photo competition, gallery show and street banner exhibition, which involved thousands of members of our community, plus there will be ongoing improvements to North Cross Road Market in conjunction with the street traders association. It's been challenging but very rewarding.

To address your plastic/environmental concerns, the banners were produced by Southwark Council's own supplier, who have excellent environmental credentials. The banners are 100% recyclable and PVC free. At the end of the campaign, they will be removed by the same supplier and recycled. The finishing methods used reduce off-cuts as waste, and use a technique which requires no plastic or metal eyelets, which also adds to the strength and lifespan of the banners. This also makes the process faster, reducing energy and emissions in production. The supplier adds to this by using low emission, localised transport for delivery and removal. When the campaign ends, they will be 100% recycled. Southwark Council will be able to provide exact credentials for selecting and working with partners for outdoor furniture if you'd like to look into it further. They have been extremely helpful and friendly to us throughout the whole campaign.

I hope this answers your concerns. Please do let us know if you proceed with the next round of the High Street Challenge, and if we can help, we we'd love to. I'm led to believe some locals are pushing forward with another mural project at the train station too, which is really exciting. We can't wait for updates on this, as this was one of our favourite elements to work on.

We say hooray to that! We love East Dulwich, so the more local, community minded initiatives like this the better!

Find out more at:

www.LoveEastDulwich.com

ali2007 Wrote:

> I?m sure this will be an unpopular post ... but I

> think hanging plastic from lampposts is just

> tacky. The signage is comparable to something I?d

> expect to see in a leisure centre. We don?t need

> to add plastic to our street to make it beautiful

> - hanging baskets of flowers would have been wayyy

> better IMO.

>

> Not to mention more plastic just waiting to be

> binned or recycled.

>

> I get that it?s a nice project for the local

> community but IMO these bring zero to our streets.

> Could it have just lived within a gallery

> instead...? Not something I want to see everyday

Should you ever want to run another competition, EDAG, there are several local camera groups who are used to running competitions on a regular, prompt, basis and who also have access to trained photography judges. I'm sure they would help if approached.

Hi Lynne

Our delivery round ended with the banners. Thanks for the suggestion. A panel of trained photography judges wasn't really in the spirit of what we wanted. This was a fun community project, so we wanted a mix of local judges and residents rather than pro's.

However, community projects like this are always fun, so if you'd like to look into pushing an initiative forward for the next round of funding, the website and info that we used is here: https://www.southwark.gov.uk/business/support-for-high-streets?chapter=2

Keep us informed please in case we can give advice or pitch in to help with your idea. Best of luck!

EDAG

Lynne Wrote:

> Should you ever want to run another competition,

> EDAG, there are several local camera groups who

> are used to running competitions on a regular,

> prompt, basis and who also have access to trained

> photography judges. I'm sure they would help if

> approached.

Thanks Abe. We really appreciate your comment, and we are super glad you like them.

We ended up with over 40 sites across ED as opposed to packing out Lordship Lane, but running all 40 up Lordship Lane would have been an awesome visual to be honest!

EDAG

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> I think the eventual outcome of this is very

> positive. I like the signs and would like a few

> more.

Hooray! That's exactly what we hoped for! The photographers will be delighted, as are we!

gumshoe Wrote:

> Just wanted to say how much I?ve been enjoying

> these - they always bring a smile to my face when

> I look up!

• 2 years later...

Hi all

This week, the Me&Ed lampost photo banners were taken down for the final time to make way for the East Dulwich Xmas lights. The competition was run in back in 2018/19 by the East Dulwich Action Group in conjunction with Southwark Council, and was based around local residents photography of East Dulwich. We also comissioned the fantastic mural at East Dulwich Station.

It was a great community-driven project and an honour to be part of it - huge thanks from my side to the enthusiastic team which made up the East Dulwich Action group. BUT most importantly, we hope it brightened up your travels around East Dulwich for the past 2 years. East Dulwich - you are awesome!

Discussions are underway for a final exhibition of the residents photography and the banners. So watch this space!

Bryan @ Raised by Bears