Euphemisms that drive you mad

Peckhamgatecrasher

The Missus (management consultant) couldn't understand why Word was flagging 'costings' as a spelling error. I was unable to persuade her that it's not a word, that the old fashioned 'cost' will work perfectly well thank you even if it is shorter. She doesn't even charge by the word nor nuffink!

Sadly she's not alone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4707608.stm

I've no issue with language evolving, I just wish we could ban management and financial types from doing it so badly.

lol Tillie, I've done that as well! (and haven't seen Ratatouille, but agree about Nemo. Monsters Inc still my fave tho)

"playing with the handbrake" off has entered the football manager's lexicon and I'm not in love with it. As with may euphemisms the first time it seems quite sweet and then it becomes annoying very quickly

"The men may not like me, but they respect me" = the men couldn't give a toss they just think you're an arsehole!

"I am hard but fair"= I am an ignorant, insensitive, bullying, brainless dope.

"My wife was a cow and is now a statistic" = I am relieved to be out of joyless marriage even though she stole the house!

"50 50"= She gets 75%

"I am not bitter I have now put it all behind me"= Clinging to my sanity by scribbling this drivel at 11pm

Where I work, we try to use (not utilise) the simplest word with the fewest syllables. That usually means an Anglo-Saxon word over its Latinate equivalent (same?). I hate meet with, greet with etc. What next - shag with? I also cannot abide 'gotten'. It's slipped in over the past couple of years. I even hear government ministers use it.Yes, I know it is British English from a few centuries ago, but it isn't now. Nero