Who cycles to work from East Dulwich?

willma

Great idea for a thread! I cycle Peckham Rye to Kings Cross each day. It's about 6 miles and takes 30-35 mins depending on the traffic. I got my route via the TFL cycle maps. I've been cycling in London for about 5 years. I wear the full all singing all dancing all glowing all flashing cycling gear! I get changed at work. I do back routes from Peckham to Elephant & Castle, over Blackfriars and then straight up Farringdon Road.

Sorry but have to recount a few horror stories. January 07 - I was knocked off my bike in a hit and run on Brandon Street, Camberwell by driver who pulled out on me and didn't see me. This resulted in surgery to my knee. July 07 - my boyfriend knocked off bike by lorry, on Kingsway, Holborn. Lorry overtook him and then turned left into him accross two lanes. Fortunately the lorry only rolled over his bike so no injuries. September 08 witnessed horrific crash between lorry and cylcist at the North end of Blackfriars bridge. Again left turning lorry. The girl was seriously injured but survived.

When I first started cycling a few different people told me different things that stood me in good stead: always cycle more than a car door width from parked cars (a friend had his ribs broken by someone oopening their door on him); never day dream - always be constantly aware of other traffic around you and don't undertake (especially lorries approaching junctions).

After my accident I had cycle lessons for free through Southwark Council. They were great. My teacher Judith was a semi pro cyclist. The lessons weren't like cycling proficiency from when you were at school. It's advanced skills for cycling in an urban environment. I was pretty sure that I was very experienced and would not learn much, but was pleasantly surprised. I'm definitely a safer cyclist for it.

Will,

not sure where you're starting from, but if you end up on the southside of Lambeth Bridge its likely that your quickest route is over the hill to Camberwell, Up to the Oval around Kennington park, through the lovely Cleaver sq and up Black Prince Road. That essentially is my route from friern Rd to Lambeth Bridge. Takes me longer than it used to!! combination of aging aching limbs and greater caution than my younger days! About 30 mins - though I did get home in 20 once when I was late for a parents evening.....

I'd second the advice to go for free cycling training. They are great. The instructor said that for more experienced cyclists they also offer assisted rides where they ride a route with you so you have an expert to talk over your style or route planning.

I've recently started go from Nunhead/ Peckham to either Bloomsbury or South Kensington. I'm playing with routes still, but I think I've come to the conclusion that sticking to long straight roads with decent surfaces is a lot safer and quicker than playing around with the side roads, even if you do have to think about the buses.

To South Ken, I go through Peckham to Camberwell and then up the Camberwell New Rd and over Vauxhall Brige (i.e. the route of the 36 bus). You can use the pedestrian crossings to go under the bridge at Vauxhall rather than fighting the scary roundabout/bus station, and I sometimes find that its good to get off and wheel it for a few meters there anyway, if the lights have been with me, I need a breather! On the north side of the river, I either turn left through Chelsea and up to South Ken or I keep going up to Buckingham Palace and through the Royal Parks. The latter has the advantage of cycling through some of the nicest parks in the world (by the water, trees, no cars!) but the disadvantage of dippy tourists as well as slightly crazy traffic around Victoria and the Palace. I have also played with going through Brixton and Clapham over Chelsea bridge, which is quite pretty and has a load of cycle lanes, but takes longer, involves a bit of a hill, and the road surfaces were shocking.

To Bloomsbury, I either go up Camberwell New Rd as far the Oval, then right up Kennington to Waterloo, coming out near the Old Vic. Or, I go up the canal path and then through Burgess Park onto Walworth Road (but the park has spooked me a bit - not at night). Then, there is an ace little circuit around Elephant which is basically bike only (or very little traffic) I found from the cycling map - you go in by the university accommodation on the Walworth Road and come out opposite the Technopark by the Bakerloo entrance to Elephant tube. This is quick, but you do have to deal with St George's circus. Then I'm over Waterloo Bridge, through that cute little cycle lane by the Lion King theatre and up Dury Lane (road works allowing) and around the British Museum.

Are the journey planner routesreally that good? I swore off it when I was still living in East Dulwich and it told me to go up Dog Kennel Hill...

Hi all,

I'm about to get back in the saddle again for a daily journey to Soho. The TFL route takes me across Burgess park, which I'm not too keen about on winter nights given some other stories here. But the only other route seems to be up the Walworth road, which seems equally unpleasant.

Any suggestions?

The route i use everyday into Soho goes down Bellenden Road, through Warwick Gardens, down Camberwell Groove, up Camberwell New Road, turn right at the cricket ground, then through back streets to Lambeth Bridge, across it, then back streets up to Horse Guards Parade, under Admirality Arch and in to Soho.

It's the best combination of speed, safety and pleasantness that i've found in three years of trying. It also avoids the black spots of Elephant & Castle, Walworth Road and Whitehall.

DKH - Nothing wrong with the hill in itself, just not an especially easy cycle (up or down). I mean, ok once you get used to it I'm sure, but not soemthing I'd put on a 'journey planner' style route (often used by people who don't know the area themselves). Maybe I'm just being a wimp.

Walworth Rd - Don't worry. It can be quite nice even. No one goes too fast and the tend to keep going in the one direction. You do have to keep an eye out for people crossing the road without looking and all the buses, but if you are sensible, it's fine.

As a relatively recent convert to cycling into work in Westminster rather than grumpily waiting for public transport, I can recommend DKH for only one reason - you get to go very fast down Camberwell Grove (very responsibly of course), which is soooo fun. Alternately, if you want to go via camberwell, you can use the much greener route past the playing fields of Alleyns and then down Green Dale, bringing you out on Denmark Hill.

Hi All, I cycle to Covent Garden evey day (unless I am out drinking in central London) and it takes me 30 mins - it is about 5.6 miles or something like that. I cycle up the woolworth rd, elephand and castle, over waterloo bridge and I am here! Woolworth road is actually not that bad, it is quite wide and has bus lanes so there is always plenty of space for cars and me! I would NEVER dream of cycling through any of the back roads/ burgess park, you only have to see the incident signs for 'woman seriously sexually abused with small child' sign once to put you off that for life.

The worst bit of the journey is the E&C round about- I was not seen by a coach this morning and have has 'issues' with bendy busses in the past but all in all I have now worked out where to cycle on every bit of it and I understand the lights etc so it is OK although I could do without it.

I wouldn't not cycle now, I took the 176 yesterday and it took 25 mins before the bus even arrived- I would be home in that time if I had to wait every day- cycling rocks!!

If only there were no coach, mini cab and bus drivers on the roads and we would all be fine!!

If anyone is thinking about it and is not sure go for it- DKH is great to get you going in the mornings- it is not as steep as it looks either!

There is quite a good cycle route to avoid the roundabouts. Hang a left at Amelia St, right on Crampton, through Newington Butts estate, across Kennington Park Road where there is a designated cycle crossing light, down Churchyard Row, left and first right and then you're on St Georges Rd.

question for cyclists - because I like the IDEA.. but more than the traffic and dodgy junctions, the thing that puts me off is...

For all the talk of saving time waiting for bus, stuck in traffic etc - getting showered and changed at the other side takes as much time surely? And what a faff that is. Towels in the office? Really?

And no reading done!

Personally I never bothered showering and changing when I arrived at work. I never arrived at work dripping with sweat and the office was fairly relaxed as far as the dress code, in fact I think they rather liked my tight cycling troos! Change of shoes was all that was required.

I understand that if I worked in an office that required suits things would be a little different.

Sean - I get sweaty, especially in the summer and am lucky enough to have an employer that has showers and lockers, albeit slightly inadequate for the number of cycling employees (all men, bar one occasional lady). The logistics do take a bit of getting used to - ensuring the right clothes & shoes are in the right place at the right time etc. Personally I don't claim that cycling is quicker, for me it roughly works out the same as if I went by train. The best bit is not being stuck to a timetable, I know that when I leave in the morning I'll be at the office in 20 - 25 minutes and the same when I go home. As I travelled by train (I believe you're a bus person) I never got to read that much anyway, the journey was too short.

I love it! ed to Fulham, 7 miles each way, last 6 months. Been talking about it, (wanting) to do it for the last 5 years, (new job) now have showers, which are a must for me. Have been a powered two wheeler for a long time, you know what? Feels like the first time I rode a motorbike. The freedom, the anarchy!

A lot of you won't like this, but the red light thing - fantastic, no cars, no pedestrians, don't stop! (It?s all about the momentum!)

Looking to buy a second bike soon, as Brixton Cycles say, just for the variety, something different to take out in the morning!

Rain ? who cares, I shower anyway.

And when on the motorbike, it kind of makes the cornering feel smoother; I understand it a little more.

Totally given me a new perspective, although if you the guy who tried to deliberately run me off the road on Carlton Rd the other morning, ?get out of your car and I?ll show you what intimidation feels like!?

geh

Hello Sean,

Think 'ed Pete' said it best - once you've factored in a shower etc you've not saved time, but then it's not about shaving off 10 mins here or there, but rather that you are in control of your journey.

Barring a flat tyre, accident etc (risking it, but I'm 18 months on the saddle, and no probs so far) you know that your journey will take a set time (eg for me it's 25-30 mins), and you won't be at the mercy of a defective train line, a cancelled train, an agrressive teenager on the bus, or a fare-dodger etc.

Plus, you get the physical rush from the exercise - endorphins pumping and a hot shower. I'm basically wired from 9-10am, after my ride in, rather than bleary-eyed and grumpy from a bad commute...

I don't have a shower at my workplace so I shower before I leave and have a strip wash in the loo at work.

I only occasionally stink by the end of the day (don't use anti-perperant cos it's linked to cancer) but have my flannel and soap already so can just have another quick wash.

My journey is only 15 mins anyway - so not much time to work up a real sweat.