Who cycles to work from East Dulwich?

willma

Solo K, that sounds like a longish route to take if your final destination is Hyde Park/Marble Arch. You may be able to cut time and a little distance off of your journey by heading from DKH/Camberwell New Road towards Oval/Vauxhall and then up past Victoria Station to Hyde Park.

However, you would miss out on Westminster bridge and it is much nicer to look at than Vauxhall Bridge.

I have a tiny, tiny front "garden" which my bike fits into. I would like to install a small, low-rise shed in which to lock my bike to protect it from view, the weather, fox poo, from which its wheels suffer greatly while stored in my back yard, and which would save me wheeling it through the flat to the back. I cannot find a small enough shed for love nor money. The bloke atthe timber yard at Underhill Road/Barry Road said that to have one built to measure would be about ?300, which is about three times what I paid for the bike. Does anyone know of any suitable suppliers or services which could help?

Klaus - thanks, will bear all in mind as I traul the interweb for suitable steeds.

Don't suppose you could recommend somewhere that servcies hub systems? I've got one at the moment and it keeps slipping in 6 and 7 and I want to get it serviced before turning her in.

I'll give the canal a try on the weekend... hmm. That sounds rather dodgy does it not!

Yes Horsebox, you're right, it is a longish route. I used to go oval and vauxhall bridge but found that at this time of year when it's windy crossing Vaxhaull bridge is a kin to wading through tracle with buses on one side!

And I agree, Westminster bridge is better by far for views.

To be honest I just like the parks and lack of traffic I get that way. And a bit more of the sun in the summer.

Where do you go to?

Oh, and if anyone is interested in a ridiculousy old peugot mountain bike please let me know. I need to get rid of it and feel awful binning something that's seen me through the good times and the bad...

I do ED to Broadgate Circle (Liverpool St) I do Rye Lane / Surrey Canal / Tower B / Bevis Marks, takes about 25 mins. I've been doing that route for about 7 years and only one incident (cream cake thrown over the fence by kids from that kind of trailer park place.) Have to own up to doing the wrong way down the far end of Rye Lane coming back though - I know I'm not alone though!

Anybody still crushing onto trains is missing out - buddy at work who packed in the riding for the winter has also packed on about a stone..give it a go if you're able...

Have a look at the TFL website journey planner. I used that to work out a route from ED to Notting Hill. It's absolutely brilliant see: http://www.journeyplanner.org/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en&itOptionsActive=1&cyclingActive=on&cycleType=107 copy and paste the full address if the link doesn't work - or go to the TFL website and follow the links there, cyling > journey planner etc. Good luck

I cycle from ED to Grays Inn Road:

Peckham Rye Lane, Surry Canal (Boathouse walk?),Glengall Road (over Old Kent road), Lynton Road, Grange Road, Bermondsey Street, London Bridge, Bank, Cheapside, Holborn Viaduct, Grays Inn.

Its basically the NCN route 22 from Peckham to London bridge (Sustrans). I like the NCN route but sometimes its not direct / quick enough. At risk of someone repeating themselves, any suggestions for a different route?

d803cn - you're pretty much the same journey as me (but I finish at Holborn Circus).

When I get to the end of the Canal I go through Burgess Park, take the diagonal after the little red choo choo train (!) up Portland St, round the Elephant (it takes you down the pavement on the New Kent Rd, across at the pedestrian crossing and round the back, so not scary!) then up Southwark Bridge Rd and over the bridge. I then go up Watling St and New Change to get to Holborn Viaduct.

Pretty much all off road or with decent cycle lanes - esp as Southwark Bridge Rd is quiet, and the bridge itself is having on of those new concrete barriers put up to enclose the cycle lane properly.

Hi,

Im looking at buying a brompton folding bicycle to commute to work.

Does anyone have one of these.I am Looking at the 14 inch wheels plus.

Also I need to cycle to clerkenwell does anyone know hong long

the journey nwould take maximum.45 minutes?

Also is there a route that means Im not always on main roads?

I work on Tooley Street, London Bridge and have cycled to work for the past few months on the following route:

Barry Road - Peckham Rye - Rye Lane - Consort Road - Friary Road - over the Old Kent Road - St James Road - Jamaica Road - Tooley Street

Takes about 20-25 mins (depending upon wind I have noticed recently!!)

When you look on a map, the route is pretty much a straight line north. Am welcome to alternative suggestions to get to London Bridge efficiently though!

I cycle in to Croydon from Dulwich. Sydenham Hill certainly has put some size on my thighs. I return via dulwich park when its open (its not open in the morning usually). Does anybody else go this way?

btw. southwark cyclists is a yahoo group who do some excellent work in co-ordinating with local government on cycle paths etc and have rides into the country every week end. I reccommend them.

I cycle to work from Malfort Road to Portland Place W1 every day. It takes me about 40 minutes, depending on traffic lights. I head down Denmark Hill, then wend my way through KCH and down Denmark Road and Flodden Road to reach Camberwell New Road. I then turn (illegally!) into Kennington Road, cross Westminster Bridge, do another illegal right turn into Whitehall, then head round the Trafalgar Square roundabout and up Charing Cross Road and Tottenham Court Road, turning into Howland Street to reach Portland Place. I have been doing it for five years, and have been cycling in London for ten years.

I ride a Kona Dr Dew, and (at this time of year) wear padded shorts with Ron Hill trousers over them, and a long-sleeved wicking top under a waterproof yellow jacket. In summer I shed the Ron Hills and the jacket. I am too old to learn to use SPDs; I have got clipless pedals, which are a good compromise for urban cycling. I would never venture on the road without a helmet; wearing one once saved me from a very serious injury in a collision with a Post Office van (the driver's fault).

The nasty bits of this journey are the section under the railway lines approaching Westminster Bridge, and Piccadilly Circus. At the latter, traffic cuts from the middle lane to turn left towards Leicester Square, cutting cyclists off in their prime. I don't like Regent Street either (I have to cycle back this way); the bicycle rickshaws are a menace. as are the bendy buses.

ebenezercm,

do you find your route from Malfort to Camberwell New Road easier than going down Camberwell Grove, left at the bottom and across the lights into CNR? I set off from Grove Hill Road and take the route I've just described but I'm always looking for more efficient routes.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this.

The only reason I don't go down Camberwell Grove is because I would pass the site of my old grammar school, which closed in 1986; I find seeing the derelict site too upsetting, so I avoid it. For the same reason I never cycle down to the bottom of Grove Lane.

After emailing Southwark complaining about the lack of lighting in Burgess Park (which means I now cycle round the park in winter, rather than risk going through it in pitch darkness), I was surprised to receive an email asking me to meet with council officers to discuss the problem. The area of the park that affects me is New Church Road to Albany Road, but I see from this thread that other cyclists use different paths through the park. If you have particular concerns/ideas re cycling in the park that you would like me to raise in this meeting (which takes place in Feb), feel free to email me.

I'm a few weeks into my commute now which is Ryedale to Camden. I ride a touring bike and my route is: Goose Green, Bellenden Rd, Lyndhusrt Way, Peckham Road, Camberwell Green, Walworth Rd, Elephant, Waterloo Bridge, Euston and Camden. I sometimes fiddle about through the backstreets but I find all the estates a bit imposing and depressing. The journey takes me about 45 minutes. My old route from Battersea over Chelsea Bridge and through Hyde Park was a joy compared to my new urban hell slog. It still beats sitting on a bus for hours on end.

I cycled to work this morning but unfortunately whilst looking to my right in the dark (550am) I ended up riding off three (unexpected) steps and face-planted onto some rather coarse gravel, resulting in ripped Gore Tex, scratched brake levers and bloody bits all around the corners. Oh, and the left side of my face from eye to chin looks lke a raw steak (not to mention poss broken bone in hand too).

Moral: ALWAYS look where you are going!