Who cycles to work from East Dulwich?

willma

Hello MLTeenie

My bike's still going like the clappers after your service!

I need Manor Park Road in Sutton. Happy to cycle along the stationary traffic through Carshalton and all through Crystal Palace/Thornton Heath on the way there, but once I'm on that big bit of Purley way past Ikea my nerve fails.

Thanks for any ideas.

Oglandia - I've been using this route for 18 months or so and I've not had any trouble yet. The closest I've come was the other week when another cyclist reprimamed me for cycling too fast and ringing my bell to alert pedestrians! It can seem a bit scary on the winter evenings but there seems to me quite a regular volume of other cyclists between 5 & 7pm - I tend to believe that there is safety in numbers.

Hi Caron,

Glad the bike is still going well.

I don't blame you about the A23 after Ikea - I would avoid that if at all possible.

It is too complicated to explain the route on the forum, but TFL do some very handy maps that cover the whole of London (call 020 7222 1234 or visit 'Cycling' section of TFL website to request maps 10 and 12) and will get you from here to Sutton with recommendations for quieter roads. Having looked at the route just now, I am not sure why you would need to ride the stretch of road you mention. I will have another look tomorrow. I think I would fsvour the A23 to Croydon then veer off on quieter roads. Although it looks a long way, I think it would be a fairly quick ride.

I hope that info is of some help.

From 1956 to 1964 I used to cycle from Marmora rd down to the kings Arms then lots of lefts and rights into Lyndhurst Way then lefts and right at the bottom into Southhampton Way past the Samual Jones factory and again lefts and rights into Addington Sq and then right into the gates of Hilger & Watts where I was an apprentice. It took me 20 mins there was no stopping and very little trafic It was always a great ride but I didnt like arriving as it meant work, The ride home was a lot harder as it was all up hill, I moved away from the area in 1970 so I dont know how it has changed but I know I couldnt do it in 20 mins now. Happy days

It takes me about 30-35 mins at a fast pace but unfortunately I go the direct route: Wally Road-Elephant-London Rd-Waterloo Bridge-Covent Garden-Holborn. This route is not very nice (does depend on time of day, esp. in the morning) but it is direct and is really not as daunting as it may seem.

As I said earlier you can get maps from TfL or pop into a local cycle shop to get the free map covering that area. They have recommended routes, which is a good start.

I'm at Holborn Circus and it takes me 35 minutes (although I am really slow) - my husband does something similar in about 25 - 30 mins.

I go via Peckham Canal, Burgess Park (scoot South round it at night as its unlit), Portland St to New Kent Rd, Southwark Bridge Rd, New Change then onto Holborn Viaduct, all of which is reasonably off road or quiet. You could just carry straight on at Holborn Circus and I guess it would be another 5 mins?

I also really recommend the cycling maps - they're free from TfL - I ordered them online and they came in about a week.

I cycle between ED & Stratford. Just under 9 miles. Peckham, Surrey Canal, Southwark Park eventually to Rotherhithe Tunnel then pick up another canal to Mile End after which it's the main road. It takes quite a long time I think because there are 19 sets of traffic lights between Stratford & Mile End all of which seem timed to catch cyclists. The journey can take 2 hours by public transport though.

ed_pete Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oglandia - I've been using this route for 18

> months or so and I've not had any trouble yet.

> The closest I've come was the other week when

> another cyclist reprimamed me for cycling too fast

> and ringing my bell to alert pedestrians! It can

> seem a bit scary on the winter evenings but there

> seems to me quite a regular volume of other

> cyclists between 5 & 7pm - I tend to believe that

> there is safety in numbers.

I got told off for NOT ringing my bell (quite rightly, I think, i should've tinkled). Have used this route in the dead of night without incident ... but was rattled that one time

I cycle to Clapham Junction to get on a train to deepest darkest Godalming (or Godawfulming as we like to call it). Also preferable to taking the train the whole way, as the connections from Peckham Rye/ED are horrible. When can we get a cycle shop in East Dulwich???? Would be good to have somewhere to go for supplies, tune-ups, etc...

Thanks Oglandia!

RANT ALERT!

I don't know how people commute by public transport.

Today, through no fault of my own I had to get to Farringdon without my bike. I left the house a 7.50am and walked to the nearest newsagent for a peak time Travelcard (?6.60 for two zones!), then due to heavy traffic decided against waiting for the 37 bus and walked to Herne Hill to catch a Thamelink direct to Farringdon. I was more than halfway to Herne Hill when the 37 overtook me (I don't think I saw another pedestrian walking my way, ie. no wonder we are being warned of the epidemic of obesity - no-one was walking, esp. lazy schoolkids with travelcards/parents who drive).

When I arrived at HH it turned out the first train was only 4 carriages long due to some defect or other, meaning most passengers (sorry 'customers') couldn't alight, and of course it would mean missing that train and waiting for another half-an-hour for the next one. I considered walking (or using my card on a 37) back to N Dulwich for a train but caught the first Victoria train on Plat 2 instead. When I arrived I fed myself into the tube. Jeez, if I was an old person travelling from somewhere out of town I would have been chewed up and spat out! It was horrendous. Eventually I got through the ten-deep queue at the barriers only to miss the first three trains due to volume of bodies. Everyone was a drone, devoid of personality and freedom. The absolute opposite of riding a bike to work. There is no need for it.

Next, I changed on to the Metropolitan (or whatever it was) and made it to Farringdon which had just been seriously affected by a fire alert. Then it rained heavily on me as I trudged past the chocka traffic on Farringdon Rd to a shop where I bought some heavy items and waited (almost) in vain for a cab to get me (late) to my final destination at about 945.

Give me the sometimes risky but always healthy, independent and free cycling option any day!

Good luck to those who do public every day - I cannot handle it!

Oglandia Wrote:

> the little bike shop at Herne Hill is great but

> doesn't do repairs. all his stuff is quality

> though and he's a v likeable fellow. mlteenie on

> this thread is highly recommended by Forumites for

> the tune up side of things

If you're talking about Herne Hill Bicycles, they definitely do repairs. And I would recommend them highly. They've maintained my small fleet of bikes to a very high standard over the past four years.

lozzyloz Wrote:

> I went to Herne Hill Bicycles 2 weeks ago after

> being dissatisfied with Edwardes only to see a

> sign on the door saying they no longer do repairs.

> Ended up going to Finches in Forest Hill after

> hours of frustration trying to do the repair

> myself!!

I spoke to the owner today (I'm not the owner by the way). Herne Hill Bicycles still do repairs, and their excellent mechanic Ron continues to work there. However, they do prioritise. If you bought your bike at the shop, or are a regular customer, you'll be given priority. Given that they're only a small shop, with a maximum of two people working there at any one time, that seems pretty reasonable. From my own experience, and I've used a number of bike shops and mechanics to repair or service my bikes, Herne Hill Bicycles offers consistently good value in the cycle service department and I now wouldn't go anywhere else.

Bluecanary, I agree totally and sympathise with everyone who must undertake the grim experience of commuting on public transport, especially those with mobility problems although since this was a thread about cycling to work I was posting with that in mind. I want to encourage people to cycle and who cares if their saddle is at the wrong height/pedalling cadence less than ideal/etc - at least they are doing something for the greater good.

Just been reading MLTeenie's account of public transport torture getting from here to Farringdon. It is totally unacceptable that people's daily lives are marred by this dreadful battle twice a day. What can we do though, other than change jobs/move nearer work/move out of London, which are really drastic measures to take? I actually moved away from London to Dorset four years ago because I could no longer stand getting from SE22 to W12 by public transport. In the summer I would ride, but once the evenings (and mornings) drew in, I was too scared to cycle.

By the way, there is a petition you can sign to get cycle-awareness integrated into the driving test. If you want to sign it, click on this link http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/cycle-drive/

PinarelloFan Wrote:

> lozzyloz Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I went to Herne Hill Bicycles 2 weeks ago after

> > being dissatisfied with Edwardes only to see a

> > sign on the door saying they no longer do

> repairs.

> > Ended up going to Finches in Forest Hill after

> > hours of frustration trying to do the repair

> > myself!!

>

> I spoke to the owner today (I'm not the owner by

> the way). Herne Hill Bicycles still do repairs,

> and their excellent mechanic Ron continues to work

> there. However, they do prioritise. If you bought

> your bike at the shop, or are a regular customer,

> you'll be given priority. Given that they're only

> a small shop, with a maximum of two people working

> there at any one time, that seems pretty

> reasonable. From my own experience, and I've used

> a number of bike shops and mechanics to repair or

> service my bikes, Herne Hill Bicycles offers

> consistently good value in the cycle service

> department and I now wouldn't go anywhere else.

thanks for clearing that up lozzyloz. i bought my Ridgey from there and have spent 100s there rather than use a chain like Evans. its just a proper bike shop.

Edwardes is easier for me location wise and i find them cheerful and good value. Having a chain put on by a mechanic with a fag in his mouth was oddly uplifting (pre-July 07)

Mlteenie

Public transport does require a bit of smarts - bit like planning any journey really, even by car

If you left ED at 7:50 you would/should be in Farringdon by 8:30 (it's a journey I have done hundreds of times)

I empathise with the whole train/tube frustration - it's why I gave up on them and face my bete-noire - the bus

Basically catch a 63 - takes you all the way to Farringdon in 30-40 mins. Admittedly at times after 8am it can get congested around Blackfriars but you're nearly there so you can hop off and walk the last few hundred yards...

Bus journeys aren't always stress free but if you can do a journey n one, and don't need to catch TWO, then it's usually best option

And ?6.60 ???? Even without an Oyester why not just pay the ?2 each way... job done

Sean, thanks for your help but..

I outlined my experience but didn't give the forum the FULL insight into my goings-on that day - I can spare you that! I needed a Travelcard because I was doing more than two journeys. I also (naively) expect the transport to be bleedin' useable, rather than having to 'learn' the whole system. I am glad to be back on two wheels and free again.

I will remember the 63 tip for another time, tho;-)

Huh - I never realised there was so many of us!

I do Ed to Marble Arch (just behind selfridges to be exact).

It takes roughly 35 minutes (I'm probably being a little generous there...) 7 miles I think, so 14 a day.

I'm getting a new bike for chritmas - any suggestions from out there?

I was thinking of a ridgeback hybrid but would welcome advice. Currently on a borrowed german tour bike which is lovely but frankly a bit dull when it comes to some decent heart pumping stuff.

I'm intrgued by this much spoken of 'canal'. Where is this place?

I go dkh, camberwell grove, burgess park, new kent road, blackfriars road, southbank, westminster bridge, royal horse gurads the mall and on to hyde park.

I love Westminster bridge in the morning, especially days like these. It's like some cheesy american film.

Also, any hints on somewhere that mught be able to service a bike with enclosed gears - I'm sure that's not the right terminology but hey noone's posted on this thread for a while so hopefully I won't be picked up on it...

The old canal path starts between Peckham Pulse and the library and goes up to the eastern edge of Burgess Park. It's a pleasant route but one that i avoid after dark or when i'm on my expensive steed.

Hub/enclosed systems are perfect for city use. The classic version is made by Sturmey Archer but i think they might've gone out of business now. The alternative is made by Rolhoff and can be found on models like this:

http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/07/ce/urban/badboy/model-7BSR.html

Cannondale's are overpriced but very nice to ride.

A big part of your decision making should be based around how often you lock your bike up in public, whether you've got insurance for it and how much you'd be upset if it was stolen. There's a lot to be said for dirt-cheap bikes.