Babies and prams in Pubs!

Edited to add - sorry StraferJack for not using quotation marks which I guess did affect the story - it was because the mother used such an extraordingary phrase that I remember it so well - it was after all quite a few years ago. And the pub was completely empty - we sat by the fire and it was about 11.00am - maybe we were in 'their spot'. I don't actually smoke because I don't wish to upset MY lungs.

I've got kids and a 4 year old granddaughter so am definitely not anti-kids, but I think the problem comes when the parents of young kids don't know how to, or dont want to, tell their kids off when they are annoying other people.

I've been in a situation where I was in the Plough and a kid kept throwing food and running about smearing soggy chips around the place. The parents failed to say anything to the kid, so when he came up to me brandishing a soggy chip with ketchup all over him, I shouted 'no, put that down!' at him quite sharply before he smeared it all over my leg. It stopped him in his tracks but the patents then scooped him up and tutted loudly at me!

If they are not going to tell their kids off for being annoying, how can they complain if someone else does it for them?

I didn't stay much longer after that because I didn't want to get into an argument with them and spoil my day.

In the last couple of weeks I have been in Si Mangia and the Rose. There were families with children in each of these establishments. The children were very well behaved, I think because these were proper family outings arranged for the benefit of the children as well as the parents where the parents (and their friends) were interacting actively during the meal with their children. Of course, these establishments, like all others, also have naughty children, but the annoyance to others does seem to arise when the children are left to their own devices. As in everything else, there are, of course, exceptions.

I agree that mutual tolerance is the answer, but not to the extent that parents should expect some-one to leave the pub or restaurant in question because their child is annoying that person and others by their bad behaviour.

I do not know whether this is still the case, and I am not saying I agree with the policy, but at one stage Wetherspoons would allow parents with children to have one drink only after their meal and they then had to leave. Apparently this was because the children, having had their meal, started running round the pub. This involved the staff spending much time in having to deal with these issues to the detriment of service to other customers.

Someone doesnt think pubs are just for adults:

Many as are the virtues of the Moon Under Water, I think that the garden is its best feature, because it allows whole families to go there instead of Mum having to stay at home and mind the baby while Dad goes out alone. And though, strictly speaking, they are only allowed in the garden, the children tend to seep into the pub and even to fetch drinks for their parents. This, I believe, is against the law, but it is a law that deserves to be broken, for it is the puritanical nonsense of excluding children ?and therefore, to some extent, women?from pubs that has turned these places into mere boozing-shops instead of the family gathering-places that they ought to be.

- George Orwell

Bert Shackleton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My mum used to give me gin when I was a baby and I

> have grown up fine. Don't really see what all the

> fuss is about. If people want to take their

> babies to the pub for a drink then they should be

> able to without the nanny state interfering.

You lost me at the phrase "nanny state". You might as well go the whole hog now and say "PC gone mad!"