Did Foxtons choose a bad time to open? House prices (Lounged)

Domitianus

of all the quotes on here it's this one that sticks the most

on so many levels this annoys me - sorry Jeremy.

Firstly the assumption that housing SHOULD be a commodity just like anything else rather than one of life's essentials (doesn't have to be owned - higher house prices mean higer rental - as a rule).

Secondly - just because house prices are high it doesn't mean THE people (not SOME people) are prepared, or able to pay the price. So many people own more than one home when others own none, (ie people with a surfeit of money) pushing prices up further suggests something is wrong. And there is no point telling nurses, teachers and whoever to get a better-paid job now is there?

Housing will always be subject to the cyclical boom and bust, due to the social fabric of Britain & the encomony behind it - I cant be arsed to go into "why", but its not too difficult

Until there is a decent , regulated and fair system of rented accomodation as an alternative to ownership, then expect this cycle to continue, grabbing headlines in the Daily mail on an almost daily basis.

The oft quoted example of Germany ith its fair transparent pricing & protection for long standibng tenants means that for many, the oowner4ship of a house if a luxury - its not about security.This means that housing isnt such an issue and the ( traditionally careful with money german public) dont fall into the trap of the feeding frenzy and its bulemic aftermath that seems to typify our uhnealthy relationship with our homes.

Imagine the scenatio - no need for 247 estate agents on LL, the end of foxtons parasites hawking their tainted services around the manor, less concerns about house prices.... the benefits of a decent social democratic approach to the staple of secure decent housing would have so many benefits for society as whole.

Yeah MP's article.

Snorky was actually making sense but I?m not particularly interested in sense on this topic as threads about the property market on this forum are as frequent and pointless as E4?s continuous re-runs of Friends.

I am eternally grateful to Mockney?s article for introducing me to the term ?pin-striped tit-cockers?. I think I have a new favorite term. I?m going to venture forth into the office and try it out.

*Looks down at the suit he is wearing*

Oh dear? :-$

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> on so many levels this annoys me - sorry Jeremy.

>

> Firstly the assumption that housing SHOULD be a

> commodity just like anything else rather than one

> of life's essentials

Don't get me wrong... as I've stated many times, I have no desire to see the price of property rise. Even as a home owner (well sort of), I believe that a "correction" in prices would be beneficial. I agree that housing is a basic need, I've never really viewed it as a financial investment.

> Secondly - just because house prices are high it

> doesn't mean THE people (not SOME people) are

> prepared, or able to pay the price. So many people

> own more than one home when others own none, (ie

> people with a surfeit of money) pushing prices up

> further suggests something is wrong.

My point was - how do you value a property? Certain people say property is over-valued, but what does this mean? How did they calculate what the fair value should be? Currently the value is determined purely by supply and demand in the market. Perhaps the supply/demand balance can be addressed by somehow discouraging property investors, but that's really a separate conversation. Anyway, I think you've misinterpreted my post, Mr MacGabhann! I'm not some sort of money-grabbing property investor wannabe, far from it.

I think that Foxtons chose a good time to open, the planning commitee were tired as they had attended six planning meetings in the year and allowed them to open a office that uses to much light, has big chillers for cold drinks, and has five big screen tv's that distract motorists. Its also a pity that Southwark council do not issue penalty tickets for badly designed logo's on cars. I think that the beggars on Lordship Lane should place themselves outside the office, as they will keep warm from the lighting and will be seen by all!.