When the Hurricane hit East Dulwich

Muttley

It generated hurricane force winds, but (in insurance at least) it would be classed as an extra tropical cyclone (ETC). A serious winter ETC generally appears every 2-3 years starting in the Bay Of Biscay. They usually pass over Central Europe rather than the UK. The last big one was Xynthia in 2010. They are sparsely reported in the UK media, as they are generally not interested in continental European news!

I think we are getting hurricane Lorenzo according to hurricane pro app I phone, I keeping an eye on it it was currently at 35 mph , judging the 4 day track of it it was 35 mph each day , but if I'm right or wrong the distance looks the same to uk being 4 days so to get here in about a day , must be getting faster papers could be right and the 200 mile radius of it more or less covers the width of uk, but at least we are aware after m.fisher mistake 1987.

In '87 I was living in Ling Rd, Canning Town. Had just put a new roof on a shed attached to the bottom of the stairs of our first floor maisonette - corrugated plastic sheeting. During the storm I went down and stood under it, it went up and down like a fecking trampoline but stayed on.

In the storm of '87 I was living noth of the river in Chelsea, and I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit I slept through it.

But I woke up the next morning to discover a tree had just missed crashing through my bedroom window, and was at such a weird angle it had to be chopped down.

And the street ouside was a sea of fallen branches-that evening I went to see Bob Dylan at Wembley and was deeply dissapointed that he didn't sing Hurracaine

Saffron Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hmm interesting. Hurricanes have a tropical

> origin. I thought the '87 storm was extratropical

> (but reached cyclone speeds?)?

Maybe. I always thought it was just down to classification based on wind speeds.

And for the record, they have downgraded tonight's forcast from hurricane to strong winds. Think we're looking at 30-40mph as opposed to pushing 100.

According to Sky News, Southern have already announced that there will be no train services before 9am tomorrow morning because of potential storm debris on the tracks. The Southern website is a little more vague re: the timings of any amended services. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...