Cold/flu bug??

susierose

Absolute best thing for a sore throat: Green Bay Harvest Manuka Honey Suckers -- you can buy them from Ocado.

I think I've been lucky -- 15 hours of nearly non-stop vomiting -- but now I'm fine except for sore ribs and throat and dehydration as a result of aforesaid 15 hours.

I've had something like this in a mild form for nearly 3 weeks with a break of a few days in the middle. I think what helped was taking 500g of vitamin C (I take the Solgar one which includes rosehips, you can get it from Health Matters on LL) every hour or two for the first few days. I can't take paracetamol but fresh ginger in hot water (with honey and lemon) also helps bring your temperature down.

What didn't help was getting caught in the rain on my bike several nights running..,

most people I know have had some sort of this horrible sickness

I have mercifully been spared the worst but my boyfriend's been really bunged up and foggy with a headache... my son's also had the headache (although no other symptoms) for a while now

everyone on the train sounded like they had it too - must be the season to be snotty! tra la la la laaaa la la la lar

;-)

wishing everyone a speedy recovery!

About three weeks ago I had very bad smelling wind, a poisoned feeling with pains in my joints, including fingers, sinus woes and a general lethargy but no vomiting or cold symptoms. It was very unpleasant but I don't think it fits the norovirus pattern of symptoms. Could it have been something like giardia? I did feel dizzy and had very vivid and hyper-real dreams. Hmm. Anyone else?

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> About three weeks ago I had very bad smelling

> wind, a poisoned feeling with pains in my joints,

> including fingers, sinus woes and a general

> lethargy but no vomiting or cold symptoms. It was

> very unpleasant but I don't think it fits the

> norovirus pattern of symptoms. Could it have been

> something like giardia? I did feel dizzy and had

> very vivid and hyper-real dreams. Hmm. Anyone

> else?

Sounds nothing like Giardia - you'd definitely know if you had that! You are also unlikely to have been infected with it in ED.

Actually, it's easier to pick up Giardia here than you might think. A friend picked it up in London, Thames water most likely, as she was living on a houseboat at the time. But all it takes is for someone who has got it to be a little careless with hand washing and it will get transferred to surfaces, food etc, ready for its next victim. Years ago I spent several months in Nepal where I picked up a hefty dose - I seem to recall that one of its defining symptoms was the production (from both ends) of large quantities of sulpherous wind, which doesn't happen with bacterial/amoebic dysentary.

I too have The Cold. It's the first I've had in years so I'm not au fait with OTC remedies but what I have found is dosing with Benadryl has helped the insane nasal irritation/prickling quite a lot.

I've had a version of the prevailing bug/bugs for about four weeks now. The feeling that you get with a cold when it's at its worst but before it's developed into the sneezy part of the cold when you get some inner relief from sneezing. Also aching limbs, aching teeth and a general breathlessness after walking for a relatively short distance.

The teenage son has had this dreadful cold in different stages since late October...First just a cough...than a terrible cough...not sleeping other than upright for about 3 weeks...slowly better with just a little cough...now full blown cold with runny nose and massive cough again! RUBBISH cold. But so far he has not passed it on to any of us.

I hope it goes soon. He really could do with a break from it.

The teenage son has had this dreadful cold in different stages since late October...First just a cough...than a terrible cough...not sleeping other than upright for about 3 weeks...slowly better with just a little cough...now full blown cold with runny nose and massive cough again! RUBBISH cold. But so far he has not passed it on to any of us.

I hope it goes soon. He really could do with a break from it.

I feel a tad better knowing I'm not the only one struck down with this bug. It's the second wave for me, this time, symptoms as Susierose described - started with bad stomache, heady and cough (nearly lost my voice), weeping eyes (stuck together in the morn) and really tired & feisty gut. I can't wait to feel normal again. My hubby has been Ace!! I need another go at Christmas!!! :(