Cat Watch Group

Monkey

I'd just like to put all of your minds at rest, my puss (Sid) is sitting on my knee purring away at the moment, trying to do his mousemat impression. He's read this thread and has asked me to point out that he may just pop out for some fresh air later, but that he's not looking for any immediate assistance to get home.

He also muttered something about 'Cat Watch = Bloody Nanny State and restrictions of cat freedom in ED', and it not being like it was in his day. ;-)

"Are they just picked up by the roadsweeper? Do they have chip scanning facilities?"

When Sid went walkabout in 2002, I checked these things out with the council, but it may have changed since then. I was told that they do collect the remains of cats killed on roads, but that they don't attempt any identification of ownership, either by looking at name/address tags or checking for microchips. A poor service, I thought, and not exactly an expensive service to provide (as well as one that could contribute to improving the public image of the council).

Appalling. Having said that, it's also up to passers-by to do something when they find a dead cat. I took a dying cat to a vet with the help of a neighbour a couple of weeks ago - the driver who hit him did not bother to get out of their car.

It's something the Cat Watch Group can help with - in terms of alerting owners I mean. Basically this group is just an idea I have had to put cat owners in touch and could become a bit of a social thing. It's always good to know your neighbours - -people are more willing to help when they know you.

"Basically this group is just an idea I have had to put cat owners in touch and could become a bit of a social thing."

It's a very good idea. When my cat went missing for several days it was at a time that I was quite ill and mostly housebound (much more than now) and recently living alone. It was an added stress I didn't really need. I struggled to put posters up in area, so this forum would have been a very good thing to have had access to then. I'm still not much good at going out cat searching though.

I was buying some oh so meaty, oh so fishy Whiskas at at the store and the check out lady said something about how the East Dulwich Sainsbury's sells more cat food then any other Sainsbury's in the UK (or it might have been in London, one of the two). I'd love to know if this is true - it made me feel both proud (and a little lame) to be an East Dulwichian.

Scylla

"I was buying some oh so meaty, oh so fishy Whiskas at at the store and the check out lady said something about how the East Dulwich Sainsbury's sells more cat food then any other Sainsbury's in the UK (or it might have been in London, one of the two)."

The cat food aisle in Sainsburys seems to the place to meet people in ED. I was loitering there yesterday when my name was called out by a neighbour who I haven't seen for ages, swiftly followed by me calling to say hello to a friend who lives locally. I never usually see anyone I know when I'm in that shop.

• 2 months later...