Wednesday night book club - the Clockhouse at 7.30 to 8.00

Chick

Hi Just moved to ED and looking for a book group. Is this group accepting new members? If so, when and where do you meet? I see you have the next book already - Love in the time of cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marques so I can get cracking on that!

Thanks

Jane

Greetings book clubbers,

So who wants to come to the Science Museum this Sunday to visit the Alan Turing exhibition? I propose to meet at Peckham Rye station at 1.00pm Sunday. The train to London Bridge leaves at 1.10.

Or we could meet there. Bring your friends if you wish.

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/galleries/turing

Afterwards there is some kind of world music festival on the South Bank. I don?t have any details but its nice for a walk and there are good food places and the odd beer bar.

Please let me know if you are coming.

Fleurdelys- please do come along to this event if you can or to the book group, you are more than welcome. PM me your email and I will put you on the list if you wish.

Thanks to everyone who came yesterday, small exhibition but well worth the trip. And beers after followed by fish & chips in the awesome chippy. I?ll have a look at a trip to Bletchley Park. Cheers Chick

Spooks12 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think we should go to the Horniman next to see

> the Body Adorned Exhibition.

I would be up for this followed by fish & chips in the great new chippy in East Dulwich Rd., followed by beers. The Horniman is always worth a visit especially the aquarium.

Unfortunately I don?t have a free weekend until 15th September. Checked the website and it doesn?t give out much info so Spooks can you tell us more about it?

Hi ya Chick et al,

I'm a bit behind. Finished the Shipping News at the weekend, it took me a while to get into but by the middle I really enjoyed it. Whoever suggested it, cheers.

Am following your book choices - and this thread- from the middle of a field in Naaarfolk :)

Skipped No Great Mischief to Love in a time of Cholera which I have just started. What are the dates for Horniman Exhibition, will try to make it along if poss, K xx

Greetings bookclubers,

Just a reminder that the next meeting is this Wednesday from about 7.30 in the Clockhouse.

I havent finished the book yet, about 75% through but am enjoying it.

Gemma are you able to come this time.

The Clockhouse will be closing soon for refurbishment and it might be a good oportunity to find an alernative venue. Eddie has left and with new managment we may get better customer service, it certainly needs to be upped.

And lastly greetings from Scotland, hope it doesn't offend.

This was the message on the Forth Road Bridge last Friday.

Greetings book clubbers,

Thanks to every one who came last night for another very good meeting and a big welcome to Emily. And thanks to Sarah for the smashing cakes.

The next meeting is Wednesday September 12th and please note the new venue, we will be meeting in The Great Exhibition in Crystal Palace Road due to the refurbishment of the Clockhouse.

Our next book will be ?Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit? by Jeanette Winterson.

A brief synopsis:

Jessica's extraordinarily strong will and heart enables her to rebel against her fanatical, cult-like upbringing. From seven to seventeen Jess is brainwashed to be one of the 'saved', to devote her life to Jesus, to follow the discriminatory teachings of Pastor Finch and his understanding of Revelations. As her warm personality dictates she succeeds in fitting into this regime and spreads the word of Jesus in a fairly content manner. But when her friendship with Melanie develops into something a little more 'unnatural' she easily realizes the error of the Pastors teachings. The girls are subjected to terrible treatment to convince them to repent.

A local book shop, Rye Books will take orders by email and give us a 15% discount if we order more than three books. This will be done automatically for you by email. The following have ordered via this system: Sarah, Sheila, Liah, Alexia, Vicky, Chloe and Chick.

Hoots & hugs

Chick

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings book clubbers,

Just a reminder that we meet this Wednesday at about 8.00pm in the Great Exhibition pub in Crystal Palace Rd. The refurbishment of the Clockhouse has been put back until next year so we can see how we feel about going back there. The only problem with the new venue is the beer, it's not very nice.

Also do you want to go to this:

National Theatre

Friday 19th October

?12

Obsessed with his own salvation, the hermit Paulo dedicates himself to ten years of prayerful penance. When his faith wavers, the ever-watchful Devil seizes the moment to convince him that he shares the fate of one Enrico, a notorious Neapolitan gangster destined for damnation. Swearing vengeance, Paulo lashes out against God and assembles a band of rival outlaws.

I'll match Enrico in mad badness.

So, we're damned, both of us, are we?

Then I'll be revenged on the whole world.

And yet, even as their villainous crimes escalate, the possibility of redemption hovers over the two men, perhaps within reach.

The subversive and riotous exploration of faith and the transformative power of love races across the Italian landscape, relishing the unpredictability of fate, an extraordinary array of characters and their very real dilemmas.

Sinner I am - pray for me.

Damned by Despair, written in 1635 by the great Spanish dramatist Tirso de Molina, is brought to vivid life in Frank McGuinness' new version.

Supported by The Laura Pels International Foundation for Theatre

http://www.facebook.com/l/iAQH4IjwVAQFx8lw4ELApocX6c9VbI45O4FKSJj7r5whV5w/www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/damned-by-despair

If you do contact our little badger:

[email protected]

Hoots & haggis.

Chick

Greetings book clubbers,

My profound apologies for the disaster last night, but it worked well in the end.

We will stay in the Clockhouse for the next three meetings then think again when it closes down for their refurb.

The next meeting is 10th October 2012 in the Clockhouse.

Despite the confusion last night it was another very good meeting.

Our next book is Anna Karenina, you have two months for this door stopper.

Here is a review, it?s almost as long as the book:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2004/mar/20/featuresreviews.guardianreview30

A big thanks to Emily for the dips.

Sarah & Leah, hope you are better.

Hoots & highland dancing.

Chick.

What was the disaster the other night? The one that worked well in the end?

PS Finished Love in a time of cholera. Never has a book irritated me more than this one. Some amusing parts, yes, the parrot, the excellent descriptions of the petty arguments between him and his wife but ooooh the whole thing made me want to scream. I really loathed it.

Katie, I'm with you, but determined to see it through to the bitter end. Some very good story telling in there but it's buried amongst pages and pages of nonsense and I want to yell "JUST GET OVER IT!!!"

Anyway, sorry I missed the meeting, I was away in sunny Devon attempting to surf. See you in October!

Hey Jessie, just turn up. It?s very informal & friendly. It would be great to meet you. If you are around today some of us are going to the Gowlett pub at 5.00pm in Amott Rd for one of their brilliant pizzas. I?l send you my number. If not hope to see you on the 10th October.

Hoots & haggis

Chick