June 3rd will be the last day of The Palmerston

This is great news - for those with nostalgic memories of "drinker's pubs" - who in reality only go to pubs once a fortnight for a pint and a half.

Those who harbour a strange deep-seated resentment of a local business that operated successfully for 15 years will also be delighted.

(Suspect there may be some overlap within the above.)

The Palmerston was a fantastic restaurant. So many excellent meals there over the years.

If you prefer pubs to restaurants/gastropubs then fine, maybe you'll be happy with the new offering. The place has good bones. But don't expect affordable beers, and the food will almost certainly be inferior value to it's predecessor.

So no one gives a toss about people investing, grafting and building a reputation in a non trendy area??the lack

Of loyalty here is mind boggling.

This is my ?beef?

Large chain behaving badly?

Sometimes they need to know it is not ok

The poor new manager is not responsible but he needs to-be in a position to feed back to the money boys

That the grockels have an opinion.

Absolutely right Tiddles.

"Sometimes they need to know it is not ok."

Guy running it may be a fine fellow, but what went on for him to get the boozer was wrong.

Don't expect a boycott to drive him and his chain under, but it'll be fun trying.

So a few things that have disapointed me with all of this but now the new proprietors are now advertising for staff and making claims that they are simply ?expanding? the staff and wish to welcome us to our ?familiar but spruced up local?.

It is infuriating that the new owners take locals to be fools. My custom was unlikely to go there, but now it definitely won?t given they are trying to profit from a reputation built by another business. If they had honestly said it was a new business and they wanted to welcome locals I?d have had more respect for them.

PS the website they have up on their posters hasn?t yet been registered should someone else want to get the website first.

tiddles Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Its all ok! The posters in the window say The

> palmerston is only closed for a refurb and is

> reopening

> At the end of june! No mention of the spotty pig

> at all - hirrah!!

This is presumably irony? Surely.

• 2 weeks later...

It is now Open. Have not been in yet.

I'm worried about what I might me asked to pay for a pint.

Does seem there is a lot of people dining in the evening so still 'Looks' like a restaurant.

Think I will await feedback from EDF users.

DulwichFox

derwentgrove Wrote:

> Been in twice since the soft opening on Friday

> night and am encouraged by the extent of the

> continuity.

Wow, so they are totally trading off the business and reputation of the Palmerston with that menu. That makes me even less inclined to go in, but appreciate you posting.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> ?24 is steak money. If I pay that for a roast,

> it'd better be one of the best roast beef and

> yorkshire puds I've ever had.

Its by a long stretch the most expensive pub roast i have ever heard, and i thought Youngs were bad with their ?17.00 offerings. In fact, it costs even more than Hawksmoor, a much celebrated steak restaurant renowned for top quality roasts too.

On the basis of these prices, i will likely never step foot in the place, and will advise others to do likewise. Anywhere that is clearly ripping off their customers deserves to be boycotted.

I agree, the prices are total lunacy. The food may prove to be utterly divine which it unquestioningly would have to be but, for my money, you get a sublime roast at The Rosendale in W Dulwich for 15 quid. So I guess that's where I'll be going.

Humdinger Wrote:

> fishbiscuits Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > ?24 is steak money. If I pay that for a roast,

> > it'd better be one of the best roast beef and

> > yorkshire puds I've ever had.

>

>

> Its by a long stretch the most expensive pub roast

> i have ever heard, and i thought Youngs were bad

> with their ?17.00 offerings. In fact, it costs

> even more than Hawksmoor, a much celebrated steak

> restaurant renowned for top quality roasts too.

>

> On the basis of these prices, i will likely never

> step foot in the place, and will advise others to

> do likewise. Anywhere that is clearly ripping off

> their customers deserves to be boycotted.

?24 for a roast dinner when going rate at most pubs is around ?15...they're having a laugh!!!

that means a Sunday lunch for 4 with a bottle of wine will be well over ?100-do they know they're not in Chelsea???

Even west end places are cheaper than this.

sounds like a total rip off!!!

We won't be bothering to go.

Great shame as we loved the Palmerston for a Sunday get-together with friends now and again.