-------------------------------------------------------

> Some perspective - in 1985 an off-duty policeman,

> George Hammond, was stabbed at a very similar

> location on Lordship Lane. And I think that was

> late evening rather than the small hours. I'd say

> East Dulwich felt less safe then than it does now

> (in those days the East Dulwich Tavern was a

> hang-out for crooks, for example).

Remember that incident well. He was the husband of our head teacher at the then Grove Vale Priamry School (now goose green).

Reg Smeeton Wrote:

> Some perspective - in 1985 an off-duty policeman,

> George Hammond, was stabbed at a very similar

> location on Lordship Lane. And I think that was

> late evening rather than the small hours. I'd say

> East Dulwich felt less safe then than it does now

> (in those days the East Dulwich Tavern was a

> hang-out for crooks, for example).

Regardless of how you may feel East Dulwich is obviously not safe. A man's dead body lying on Lordship Lane is proof of that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6687663/Man-30s-stabbed-death-south-east-London.html

Crime is not caused by areas, it is caused by specific individuals, criminals who are as mobile as the rest of us. Unless you believe that we live in some sort of magically protected enclave, we are as exposed as anywhere else to crime of this type. A man was stabbed through the head in Dulwich park in 2017 by someone who wanted the price of a bottle of rum. Why do people persist in deluding themselves? Nowhere in London is safe.

lidsey Wrote:

> Alan Medic Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > HelBel65 Wrote:

> >

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > -----

> > > Terrible news.

> > >

> > > I was a bit taken aback to hear Andrew Castle

> > on

> > > LBC this morning referring to ED as ?a rough

> > area?

> > > where you ?really have to watch yourself?

> Maybe

> > > he?s right after this.

> >

> > I listen to Andrew Castle fairly often and he

> is

> > particularly uninformed for a broadcaster.

>

> How dare you discuss on this post about whats the

> best part of East Dulwich to live in No

> consideration for the poor family and friends of

> this local man .

What exactly has upset you by the above?

Re references to Camberwell - an old Gazette would put the area in the old borough of Camberwell - absorbed into Southwark - hence Camberwell Old and New Cemeteries way south of Goose Green. ED was once Camberwell as it is now Southwark. Random acts of extreme violence can, sadly, happen anywhere. Until more is known of this terrible incident attempts to draw conclusions about its 'typicality' for the area must fail. 24 hour shops (which are really of value) will, by definition where they are not the norm, draw people in in the small hours who would not necessarily normally consider the area 'local'.

What is this world coming to. Another young life taken away from us. Punishment should be severe, bring Hanging back. This government is so concerned about Brexit but not everyday life. If we punish these b....tards like they do in other countires they would think twice before they commit the crime. Its nothing to do with the area, stabbings are becoming a daily crime. My heart goes to the family of the victim.

goldfinger Wrote:

Punishment should be severe,

> bring Hanging back. This government is so

> concerned about Brexit but not everyday life. If

> we punish these b....tards like they do in other

> countires they would think twice before they

> commit the crime.

Sorry, thread's going off topic but can't let that stand. Briefly, a) do you think someone enraged, disturbed or simply callous enough to cut someone's throat over a cigarette is going to stop and think oh, I'll only get twenty years in prison for this, not executed, so I'll go ahead? And b) it has been demonstrated over and over again that capital punishment does not act as a deterrent, most notably in the USA where states that do not use the death penalty consistently have lower murder rates than those that do.

Charles Martel Wrote:

> Crime is not caused by areas, it is caused by

> specific individuals, criminals who are as mobile

> as the rest of us. Unless you believe that we

> live in some sort of magically protected enclave,

> we are as exposed as anywhere else to crime of

> this type. A man was stabbed through the head in

> Dulwich park in 2017 by someone who wanted the

> price of a bottle of rum. Why do people persist

> in deluding themselves? Nowhere in London is

> safe.

On the basis of your argument here, you can conclude no-where in the world is safe because your 'mobile criminals' can travel anywhere they want and commit crimes. Of course that's technically true, because anything can happen to anyone at any time. However, even a set of unrelated incidents produce a statistically emergent and generally predictable rate (or change of rate) over time for a particular area because people are, on average, fairly predictable in their behaviours and decision making. That's why a country has a generally consistent birthrate (that rises and falls gradually), or a road section has a fairly consistent accident rate. People's decisions are distributed on a bell curve and over thousands or millions of events, a pattern emerges.

In the case of crime, decision-making is correlated to casual factors in the population such as access to mental health services, poverty level. You can therefore form a statistically significant conclusion about whether an area is 'more safe' or 'less safe' if you think about these factors. You can also consider how change in these underlying factors might affect the derived crime rate.

So of course on an individual basis, you can never rule out a one-off anywhere you go, but you can still choose to manage your risk, and take steps collectively to mitigate the underlying causes.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> The victim has been named.

>

> https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/11/east-dulwich-murder-victim-named-dennis-anderson-8520848/?ito=twitter

Very sad, poor guy, and sad for his daughter. Reports certainly don't paint a picture of a person who was an instigator here. I guess we'll find out in time if there was any actual motive beyond a cigarette, what a terrible waste if so.

alice Wrote:

> Those who knew him will miss him.

of cousre and apart from anything else, its an absolutley brutal way to die. Horrific. poor man.

with so much knife crime, there will be more knives "needed" for protection and it will esculate further if there is not a structured approach put in place to reduce this epedemic.

Nigello Wrote:

> Mayor Khan was on just now, saying that "middle

> class drug users" have to take some of the blame

> for such deaths (though why only that class is

> responsible is beyond me). It's all very sad for

> the family and anyone in similar situations.

Confused as to why drug users of any class have to take some of the blame for this crime? Sounds like someone very disturbed attacked a local man going about his business in a freak incident. Not drugs or gang related in any way by the sound of it

hellosailor Wrote:

> Confused as to why drug users of any class have to

> take some of the blame for this crime? Sounds like

> someone very disturbed attacked a local man going

> about his business in a freak incident. Not drugs

> or gang related in any way by the sound of it

He was talking about the rise in knife crime in London in general, not the specific ED incident. Even if he was there would be an arguable point: more drugs=more gangs/violence=more people carrying knives=greater risks to innocent bystanders.