Adventure Bar licence extension -again

A neighbour has just drawn my attention to the fact that the Adventure Bar has applied to extend their hours, yet again, on Thursdays and Bank Holiday Sundays so that they will stay open until 0230am.

It was mentioned on another thread but somehow I missed it. I'm guessing by the number of objections so far that not many others are aware. Last time there were a large number of complaints. If you want to object you need to get in there quickly as the last date for objection is February 10th.

It's easy to forget how unpleasant some of their late night customers can be at this time of year as there are less of them in the winter, and the cold tends to mean they hurry home, but once the weather warms up you can expect to have your sleep disturbed if you live on any of the adjacent streets. Just want you don't want to prepare you for a day of work on Fridays.

Licensing Register

spanglysteve Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Help me. I chose to live near a bar and now I am

> upset that I live near a bar.

Plenty of us didn't choose to live near a bar - we chose to live near a normal shopping street that had a few pubs that shut at 11 and a couple of restaurants. We all accept that times change and that premises once used by building societies that shut at 5pm might get converted for other use but we don't expect to have our sleep disturbed in the early hours of the morning by rowdy drunken customers of this bar, particularly not when there are children who need their sleep before a school day and plenty of us who need a clear head for a day at work.

peterstorm1985 Wrote: it's common sense moving to an area that has pubs shops and restaurants will cause a noise issue. So the solution is simple MOVE

> spanglysteve Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Help me. I chose to live near a bar and now I

> am

> > upset that I live near a bar.

>

>

> Plenty of us didn't choose to live near a bar - we

> chose to live near a normal shopping street that

> had a few pubs that shut at 11 and a couple of

> restaurants. We all accept that times change and

> that premises once used by building societies that

> shut at 5pm might get converted for other use but

> we don't expect to have our sleep disturbed in the

> early hours of the morning by rowdy drunken

> customers of this bar, particularly not when there

> are children who need their sleep before a school

> day and plenty of us who need a clear head for a

> day at work.

I think it is also common sense to not grant a 2.30 am licence on a Thursday to a bar that sits next to residential dwellings. If we were to accept the premise that people should move when a bar opens or that people should never move next to a bar because it's licensing hours might change then we'd be left with islands of uninhabitable housing around shopping areas. So licensing is designed to keep the balance acceptable.

I suspect the Adventure Bar will keep applying for this extension and it may well require repeated opposition each time it does to stop it from being granted.

If we all write to Tessa Jowell at the following email, we might get some answers as to how these bar get away with extending their hours without us knowing. [email protected]

I have lived here longer than the Bars have been around, and I have no intension of being pushed out through rowdy people coming out of bars that should not have been given licences in the first place.

As I have said before, you cannot trust any politicians, they all liars and work for their own ends, promise the earth to get in, and produce nothing, but what suite them best.

Its disgusting that these bars have obtained licences, through what I call the back door, stick a piece of paper in their window, so you have to be passing their bars to notice it. If you are old and don?t go out much, no chance of knowing what?s happing in your area, and you get stuck with a load a S**T in your streets. We have people coming out of these bars at 2 to 2.30am Pi****g and Sh****G up and down the road, last year one of my neighbours had a brick through her window and I had drinks chuck all over my car which stained the paint work.

This is what the Gov and Council expect rate payer to put up with.

Money before people.

[email protected]

piss taking aside, the AB is a pretty vile shithole. Most people in Ashbourne Grove and surrounds didnt move here when it was such a turgid pisshole of shouty vermin and shouldnt have to bear the pain of letting some bar owner turdpieces make money hand over fist with no thought for the residents.

"Will no one think of the poor people of Penge ?

Where will they go to imbibe and mate if this licence is refused ?"

...many a true word said in jest. Woodrot you are a little snob. Adventure Bar is a carsey though. Preferred it when it was Inside 72.

Tessa's licensing law moved the previous presumption of the applicant from needing to prove a licence or licence change wouldn't cause harm to objectors proving it would cause harm. It was a huge change and has since seen huge step increase in alcohol emergency ambulance and A&E calls. It appears to have kick started the binge drinking culture and not continental southern Europe cafe culture hoped for.

Unlikely we'll get the tory part of the coalition to agree to new more restrictive licensing laws as big business wouldn't like that - and that suits the more Liberals element of the Lib Dems.

We have a bad law aimed at benefiting businesses at the expense of civil society - but apart from that I hold no views on the subject.

Back to Freds concern about Adventure bar enxtensing it opening to 2am Thursday and bank holiday.

Email [email protected] if you wish to object or support it.

The legally valid reasons to object are:

- The prevention of crime and disorder

- Public Safety

- The prevention of public nuisance

- The protection of children from harm

Hi James Barber

Is there anything we can do to change this? As at the moment, residents do not have any say in this matter. Before we were informed of any changes, now we have to rely on someone seeing the notice in the bars window, which I think is unfair on residents that have to put up with this unsocialable behaviour late at night. And surely this cannot be right.

iheartED2 Wrote:

> NOOOOOOOOO !! I went to Adventure Bar the other

> night. Horrible place. The staff are over

> friendly, to the point where I had to tell one of

> them - australian i think - to stop asking me

> questions about my life every time I ordered a

> drink from him.

Yes I can see how that would be annoying. Friendly staff and everything. I'm glad you taught that cheeky antipodean a lesson. Hopefully next time you'll be met with stoney faced, tight lipped, indifference when you order that Baileys. As only seems fitting.

To be fair on iheartED2, I've been to the Adventure Bar and the 'friendliness' is so fake that it immediately rubs you up the wrong way. They have obviously all be sent on a course to 'engage with the customer' in a way to try to give the impression they are all Sam from Cheers or some other barman in your local. It just doesn't work, though.

Hi Fred,

Yes, if you have evidence of a licenced premise causing any of the following: crime or disorder, endangering public safety, causing a public nuisance or endangering children then you can ask for a licence review.

Ideally evidence would come from several people. If you collect evidence let me know and I'll go through it with you and we can apply for a licence review.

If a licenssed premise keep applying and being refused then that would feel vexatious.