local freedom to express yourself

Hello forumites, mark arram, otherwise known as Sly of Sly and Reggie here, the only roving reggae broadcasting sound system to operate in your local neighbourhood. I am, frankly, a bit miffed by not being allowed to conduct myself as your local sound system preacher on the May festivities coming soon on Goose Green. We are under house arrest by the local authorities, not allowed to express ourselves as Sly and Reggie on this May day festival. I find this appalling and not much different from the China artist Wu Wei who was imprisoned for self expression but we are not living in China are we, but oh so chic East Dulwich which appears to have a very conservative streak that is more in keeping with Bromley than East Dulwich....we may have cafe culture but we are no collection of bohemians in an artistic paradise...I suggest an alternative festival, a fringe festival if you like where left field artists like myself and Reggie can gather at a suitable and secret location provide a lovely evening of entertainment for gallant troops of people who are fed up with the cup cake banality of the goose green fair....

Common sense policing like this is why I live here.

If people want to hear your music then surely you can set up some local gigs - that way the people who want to hear your music can, and those who don't, don't have to. Thats not opression, thats common decency and exercising consideration for other people.

There are plenty of artists around here if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Cedges Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Common sense policing like this is why I live

> here.

>

> If people want to hear your music then surely you

> can set up some local gigs - that way the people

> who want to hear your music can, and those who

> don't, don't have to. Thats not opression, thats

> common decency and exercising consideration for

> other people.

>

> There are plenty of artists around here if you are

> interested in that sort of thing.

Well said

Cedges Wrote:

> Common sense policing like this is why I live

> here.

>

> If people want to hear your music then surely you

> can set up some local gigs - that way the people

> who want to hear your music can, and those who

> don't, don't have to. Thats not opression, thats

> common decency and exercising consideration for

> other people.

>

> There are plenty of artists around here if you are

> interested in that sort of thing.

My reading of the OP is that he is not allowed to play at the goose green festival? I think there should be a bit of everything otherwise the festival will turn out to be the usual shite of hand made birthday cards and Peruvian cardigans why can't someone organise something decent around here

in case we upset the cup cake and aerobics brigade

Personally, I'm suspicious of anyone using the condescending term 'brigade' as a means to belittle those with opposing views, clearly meant to dismiss those who disagree as a mindless, herd-like collective whose values are without reason or intelligence.

What are you, a Daily Mail reader?

I live in ED and I love Death Metal but I accept that others may not so I would not dream (well I would dream that everyone loved it and it was piped round M&S etc but hey ho) of saying what you have Mark. Hire out a pub backroom, get on facebook and drum up a fan-base and do your own gigs for peeps who love your genre.\m/

pablogrande Wrote:

> My reading of the OP is that he is not allowed to

> play at the goose green festival? I think there

> should be a bit of everything otherwise the

> festival will turn out to be the usual shite of

> hand made birthday cards and Peruvian cardigans

> why can't someone organise something decent around

> here

Because this is the forum, I shall first prelude this response that it is not made in anger!

Firstly yes you are right, the OP was specifically referring to the festival but 'know your audience' as a philosophy would probably stand the OP in good stead. I am sure the organisers know what vibe/atmosphere they are looking to create and I would assume that the OP does not fit into that vision. So why be a hater - this isn't going to change, goose green is goose green, not notting hill et al.

Secondly,pablogrande and the OP, if you don't like it, why not try to organise something yourself to your tastes? You can't please everyone all of the time, but it doesn't mean that there can only be one event to the exclusion of everyone else. Variety is the spice of life after all.

Personally I love a bit of good ol' Country and Western but I won't be holding my breath for much in the way of that sort of festivities round here and I'm far too lazy to try to organise something myself!