Possible move to Peckham Rye

ewilcox

Hi Everyone

I am considering moving to a victorian terrace in Peckham Rye - on Waghorn Road specifically. I have spent most of my time in London down in Depford but have been looking to buy for some time and a search agent has strongly been pushing Peckham Rye as a good place for East Dulwich amenities but for also being close to PR station for commute into central london. The main question I have is that Peckham itself maybe doesn't have the best reputation in London. Even on this forum I see messages about Peckham being notorious for stabbings. So can anyone tell me if its reasonably safe walking south from PR station later at night or when dark?

In general does anyone have any advice on the pluses and minuses on moving to Peckham Rye and living in the area?

Many thanks,

Ewan

My mum who is in her 90's lives alone not far from Waghorn Rd .

I'm in that area daily and it seems very quiet .

As I'm sure you know ,trouble can happen anywhere - tho IME it tends to be where you have two areas next to eachother but with very different amounts of affluence .

Deptford and Greenwich come to mind . Maybe large estates next to roads of middle class housing .

But the area round Waghorn is quiet and settled ,I really wouldn't have thought you need to be concerned about living there ,

Do you mean Waghorn Street? I lived on Waghorn Street, SE15 in rented accommodation for about 5 years in total. I absolutely loved it. I now live about a 5 min walk away, technically in East Dulwich, but that's as much by coincidence than by design. Peckham Rye is really well catered for transport wise in SE London. I think where you're looking has the best balance of transport availability of Peckham Rye and access to the lovely neighbourhood pubs, parks, food markets and places to eat of Peckham Rye (and the ever developing Bellenden Road) and East Dulwich. If you live in Deptford you're no stranger to what can happen around these parts but also what the actual reality of every day life is like in comparison to rumour and media hype. Also check out Nunhead, Brockley and Crystal Palace if you're committed to buying in the SE. Enjoy!

I live round the corner from Waghorn street and have done so for 12years, after a move from Pimlico.

I love it- I find it less intense than East Dulwich, though only a few minutes walk away. Also, of course it was much cheaper, the gardens bigger.(at the time)

There aren't estates around this bit either. Just the block on Maxted Road

From the East Dulwich forum it seems a lot of mugging hotspots seem to be around the Barry Road area on the east dulwich side, specially near the pubs. Bellenden Road is great. Rye Lane pretty run down and shabby, but the walk back from Peckham Rye station is a lot busier and well lit than the walk back from East Dulwich station at night, , and we are equidistant between the two.

I know East Dulwich residents four hundred yards away quake at the idea of venturing into SE15 but this little labyrinth of streets used to be part of East Dulwich until the boundaries changed and really it's not very different except in peoples heads.

Well I admit where I live is right on the border between West Greenwich and Depford - just by the DLR station so not really deepest darkest Depford by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks everyone for their comments - they have been very useful particularly from people who have lived on or near Waghorn Street (yes Street not Road!). I have to say talking with a few people over the weekend in Peckham Rye and looking through these forums it does come across as an excellent place to move to and I guess like anywhere in London if you are silly enough to walk around talking loudly into your smartphone at 11pm then you can expect the worst!

A local character by the name of Michael Palaeologus does tours of East Dulwich I hear. Surprised he's not ventured onto this thread.

(btw what are you waiting for, make the move to Peckham Rye - Peckham Rye Park is really lovely, I far prefer it to Dulwich Park. Have always felt far safer travelling back to Peckham Rye Station than East Dulwich station late at night. and never felt scared waiting for a bus late on Rye Lane either. Lots of lovely cafes and a nice new one on nearby Choumert Road and the Bellenden Road area has a fab bookshop and places to eat and drink). Don't forget Khan's bargain store - I bet there isn't one of those in Deptford :))

Heh - fair enough. I guess all areas have good and bad bits.

Most violent crime tends to be gang on gang violence. On the presumption you don't wander around with a red or blue doo-rag handing out tin foil packets, you'll be just fine.

And Bellenden Rd really is becoming a lovely little parade of shops with both useful and interesting places to shop and eat.

Welcome to the neighbourhood.

It sounds as if you've found a pretty honest estate agent there, but I'd get in quick. Once the ELL extension is finished and Peckham Rye is on the 'tube' map you can add, literally, a grand to the house prices.

The only things you could possibly miss about Deptford are the Vietnamese cafes on the High Street and 'The Dog and Bell', but 'The Gowlett' is a pretty good substitute and there's a Vietnamese grocers around the corner if you fancy making your own 'pho'.

And, as Katie says, we've got Khan's which is open late if you ever find yourself out of massive bottles of 'Dove' body-wash.

The area is very safe as long as you have common sense, as you should anywhere in inner London. I live on Choumert Road. Love it - all the best of Peckham amenities and transport links and ED is but a 5 minute walk away. Bellenden Road has a lively selection of cafes and local businesses and some great pubs.

As people have said - I would imagine a lot lot safer than Deptford in my humble experience

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Deptford? Christpher Marlowe was stabbed to death

> in Deptford.

Look, the geezer was out on bail, he shoulda known better than to hang around with an estate agent, a con man and a police nark. Straight up.

Ye Maile says:

The suspected gangster spy was shot dead stabbed by police a gentleman following a surveillance operation an argument over the bill and the circumstances surrounding his death are hotly contested.

The death on August 4 last year Wed 30 May 1593 was followed by rioting and looting across the country a quick burial in an unmarked grave.

Earlier this week it emerged that the Independent Police Complaints Commission had written to North London Coroner Andrew Walker saying it may have sensitive material relating to police decision-making regarding Mr Duggan ?that it could not properly disclose to a coroner? Asked to provide sensitive information that could assist the authorities, a Mr Walsingham said "Wot, me gov? Naaaah."

This could block any inquest and instead evidence would have to be heard behind closed doors in an alternative public inquiry. restricted to the estate agent's plea of self-defence.

A passing local was heard to say "Thas wot we do to atheist nonces rahnd 'ere."

ETA: hey nonny nonny.