The 2012 Olympic Barry Barry Road Race

Kind Sirs and Lady Type people

Having watched this amazing sporting event last year, for the first time, I like to participate in this even in this, the year of Our Olympics.

Tell me, how many of my hard earned shiny pennies would I have to part with in order to take part?

You may have already covered this, but I have been drinking due to it being a bank holiday and that is what you do, right?

I eagerly await your information....at least I shall until I totally forget that I have posted on this thread.

Kindest slightly warm regards

Maximilian Von 1664

Max71

Will be good to see you at the start. How many pennies will it cost?, well that pretty much depends on how warmed up you get before the off! Some of us get to the Plough at noonish, but thats not compulsory (or probably recommended), just a bit of tradtion really!

Competitors sort thier own drinks at the start, but if you want your finish drinks at the clockhouse organised then we ask for ?10 to sort this. Any money left over goes to charity. You can arrange your own finish drinks if you wish, upto you really and then it wouldnt cost you the ?10 - just whatever you have arranged at the Olympic finish. If we want to get the BBRR 2012 started for 3pm , then those wishing us to arrange the finish "hurdle" really need to get their order and ?10 in by 2.30ish to enable the time it takes to do this. Last year for ease it was Guiness, Ale, Lager, Cider and a selection of shots as it would be a nightmare to arrange a whole host of weird and wonderful selections.

Nearer the time a breakdown of the handicaps of choice from last will be provided from the historical record (1 metre long receipt!)

Till then, Lasers set tae malky.....CHARGE!

• 1 month later...

4 weeks to race day. Aim to get going at 3.00pm from the Plough. Drinks orders in by 2.30 please to enable set up at the finish. Runners get their own at the start and a tenner is levvied for finish drinks, with left over change going to MS Society.

Some of us will be in the Plough from noonish and keen students of the race may like to know a break down of the handicaps from last year to enable them to tailor their last minute training schedules:

Pints:

Guiness x 5

Lager x 20

ALe x 36

Cider x 9

Shorts:

Whisky x 6

Gin x 2

Vodka x 16

Rum x 2

Drambuie x 1

Jagermeister x 14

Sambuca x 8

Tia Maria x 1

Tequilla x 16

White Russian x 1!

Hope to see you at the start, all welcome and the sun shines on race day. Normal rules of the road apply.

The champion runners will be presented with the Barry and Barriet Bears (if they turn up!), and in this Olympic year we have reverted back to true amateur status. (no prizes as far as we know, other than the glory!)

Good stuff Charlotte_C (dusty? thats no way to treat a lady!), and good to see you defending the title. There could be some stiff competition in the ladies event this year. Some useful athletes from North of the border are due to compete.

Spectators can enjoy the atmosphere and encourage the runners at both ends (so to speak)

Ladies if they wish can have a bottle or half-pint.

If Team Project London Health are coming, dont forget 2 cans of Stella for arm toning

@The Great Exhibition - nice idea but its quite shambolic as it is without adding another layer of complexity to the day. I wouldnt be surprised if you see runners/spectators at some point during the day however.

As always we never know exactly who will turn up but we look forward to welcoming you to the Olympic Barry Barry Road Race 2012.

Till then...Lasers set tae malky.....CHARGE!

Charlotte_C Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been keeping Barriet safe (though she is a

> bit dusty) and I'll bring her along on the 21st.

Sadly, for reasons beyond my control, and for the first time, I will be unable to attend this year's race.

*sad face*

As unofficial race historian and purveyor of trivia I am looking for a volunteer to hand my metaphorical baton to. Ability to run the race dressed as Cruella de Ville will be a key criteria in gaining this prestigious role.

SebsC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why am I always away around this time of the

> year?! This race sounds absolutely brilliant, I

> would love to see it - just my sort of fun! Barry

> Road racers I salute you.

xxxxxxx

Yeh same here, it always clashes with my festival going and I'm gutted to keep missing it :(

Sound like a good spectator sporting day out......Me and a few others will prob come along and cheer/drink our own beer!!! As we live on corner of underhill/barry!! Hopefully weather will be gd 4 u don't really relish the sweaty fat part, but hey if it brings out the sunshine;-)

DC - gutted you can't make it. I guess 2012 will have to be your fallow year. Back bigger and stronger in 2013 what what!

Everybody else - see ya on the starting line. all we can promise are good times and hangovers.

Barry Barry Love

Surfbobby

Am in negotiation with ED CCF to station surface to air missiles on my pigeon loft ornamental roof garden to ensure a trouble free BBRR.

(In case of a refusal am improvising with 2litre bottles of Irn Bru and several packets of space dust)

I, will be coming to compete this year for the first time. And along with me I will bring all creatures great and small from north of the border and east of the water. Full Olympic dress for us. Really looking forward to it!