Anniversary meal - recommendation for where to go?

I know this isn't strictly the right place for this post, but I have a feeling the family-roomers will have the answer I am seeking!

This weekend Mr S & I celebrate 17 years together. In all that time we have never celebrated anniversaries as Mr S doesn't like fuss & to be honest I haven't been too bothered. But this year, for some reason, I feel differently and would like to go out for a cheap but special meal, somewhere local, without our children. Our actual anniversary is Sunday, but we could go on Saturday if necessary (I'd have to sacrifice Casualty of course, but - you know - in the name of love, keeping the spark and all that I'd be prepared to make that sacrifice if I had to).

Local to us is LL, Bellendon, Herne Hill & DV.

Can anyone suggest anywhere that's reasonably priced and doesn't play very LOUD music (we'd like to see if we can still talk to each other after all)?

Thanksyou.

P.S. Mr S is veggie (just to complicate!)

No 67 (think that's what it's called) the restaurant at the South London art gallery in Peckham. We went there the other weekend. Best food I've had in ages, reasonably priced, friendly staff. Lovely candle lit restaurant and great conservatory bit at the back if it's a nice summer's night.

Ohh, I knew the family room would come up trumps - I told him you would :)

Ganapati was on my list of possibles: good advice about phoning ahead though - what does 'does seatings' mean (Apologies if it's the school of the bleedin-obvious - we really don't get out much)

Will avoid Lido until pool is refurbished and ambience restored. After 17 years we might well need a bit of ambience to boost us along!

I love the sound of Angels & Gypsies - had never heard of it before - but Mr S has a conservative palate, I'm not sure how he'd feel about tapas (will run it by him).

Not sure about 67. Will have to check it out further, also it's a little outside my area - it would be good if we could walk to & from so we could both drink (we might need to if it turns out we actually don't have anything to talk about!)

I really like the Crooked Well. I was there when they had their baby/toddler group on, consequently I'm very favourably inclined toward them ;) but I can't get into their website to find out what sort of food they do. Has anyone been there for a meal in the evening?

I took him to Green & Blue once for lunch. He was such a grumpy old git that I'd be loathe to take him back, but I might try - will look at their menu.

Thanks gang, Will report back once decision made.

If anyone thinks of any other places in the meantime feel free to post: all is still to play for :))

Angels and Gypsies not so good for the veggies.

Was v disappointed by meal at Crooked Well last month but hope a one-off too busy Saturday night.

Rosendale in West Dulwich? I haven't been but someone at work was just raving about it (albeit the steak).

Have heard great things about Cafe 67.

We were a the crooked well on Saturday, enjoyed it so much planning on going back this Sunday.... I had some very tasty salt and pepper squid, I recall a scotch egg, some soup, a terrine, a pate on the menu, not sure about veggie provision from top of my head. Mains again excellent we shared a chateau briand, had some left over which they were ver happy to pack up for us and served very well as a steak sandwich on Sunday night! Really do recommend it, great rice lovely atmosphere and well priced wine list

If you're looking for a quiet evening dinner, I thought Angel & Gypsies was pretty mellow. Maybe because we're old and eat very early nowadays! Because we went there last Saturday at 7pm and didn't even need a reservation. If you're looking for a satisfying meal though, the food at Crooked Well was much more impressive. I recall not being able to hear though, but I think that was cuz there was a Jazz band playing on a Sunday night.

We like Number 67 for breakfast, will definitely have to try their dinners too.

I don't eat meat, just fish and enjoyed Angels and Gypsies wasn't blown away by the food though but nice atmosphere. Love Ganapati so that would probably be my choice. Am looking forward to trying The Crooked Well, have heard it's ok or veggies. Have a lovely evening!

Just in case it's not too large, went for lunch to Roca in DV for lunch at the w/e & commented to Mr Buggie how it looked like it'd make a good date night choice, plus you've then got The Dog next door for a drink before home time :-)

As it's a special occasion, I would tend to go for Crooked Well over Ganapati. It's been a while since I went to Ganapati but from memory it is a wee bit on the snug side and you are quite close to other diners which might put Sillyman off. If you want to kick back and celebrate 17 years you might want something a little more relaxed!

Enjoy your date night wherever you spend it:-)

• 2 weeks later...
Just had yet another fabulous evening at Le Chardon. Packed yet service was excellent and amazingly fast considering the numbers there. Food wonderful. I've often dined alone there as a treat to myself after a day's gardening and have always been made to feel welcome, despite still wearing my gardening clothes! This time I took a friend and she was very impressed. The maitre d' as always the hostess with the mostess, despite being rushed off her feet. Highly recommended.