Petition for a Wetherspoons

Loutwo

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Speaking of the Castle, if a Wetherspoons opened

> in SE22 it would probably be the end of the

> Castle.

Not at all. Wetherspoons offer a completely different pub model to the Castle. For starters you wouldn?t get live sports in a spoons, and correct me if I?m wrong but that?s one of the main draw points for them. They also do not serve food, last time I went in. Again, a completely different demographic. The Castle appeals to older men not interested in food, a Wetherspoons appeals to a broad range of different groups but importantly doesn?t offer a sport package.

Louisa.

Humdinger Wrote:

> nah, all the old men that go into the Castle would

> start going to the Wetherspoons, as despite the

> Castle being the most reasonable pub around, it

> would still be considerably cheaper in a Spoons.

It might depend where the Spoons was situated.

If just having a cheaper pint was what appealed, they could use their Freedom Passes now to go to the one in Forest Hill, a short bus ride away.

So if they don't, there must be some other reason to stay with The Castle. Like the telly.

We used to go to The Castle fairly often until the new manager replaced Jenny (and neither of us are old men, btw, but it had a great juke box and good Guinness).

First time we went after that, the new manager turned off our music (which we had paid for) and put on some absolutely dire middle of the road (well, bottom of the road) Irish music so loudly we had to take our pints outside, and as it was also very loud outside (poor neighbours) we finished said pints quickly and left.

Never to return. Which maybe I'm being paranoid but it felt like that was her intention.

Don't get me wrong btw, I love a lot of Irish music, but this was truly terrible :))

I personally would like a Wetherspoons round here, but I can't see it's going to happen.

But this thread is just an excuse for the usual (expletive deleted), isn't it?

DulwichFox Wrote:

> What the Frigging hell is a C2DE-type establishment ?

It's a not-particularly-tactful way of saying that it's frequented by builders and tradesmen. Which certainly used to be true 15-20 years ago. Not really sure about now, haven't been there in so long (since the smoking ban, probably!).

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Mmmh I do know a Builder mate of mine that uses

> the Castle on occasion but in the

> past it seemed to be frequented with loud

> drunk teenagers getting pissed and playing Pool

> and fighting.

That's in the other bar :))

I?m playing it. Even without my contribution we?ve somehow managed to get Brexit in the mix, and C2DE. I still need ?yummy mummy? and ?posh cheese on toast? to get my four corners.

As you were everyone.

Louisa.