>

> If not, what is the justification for all other

> outlets charging so much for Beer, Spirits and

> Food. ?

>

> Answer. Greed.

>

> DulwichFox.

Exactly this point. It seems some pub cos try their luck in certain places if they believe people are gullible enough to pay the price. Not all of course. Wetherspoons tend to buy beer in towards or close to its sell by date and therefore able to get it cheaper, I would presume. It?s not a bad business model, it seems to work pretty well. The fact they offer meal deals with alcohol is a big browning point too. I?ve often ventured upto Fox on the Hill over the years, and am the first to admit the atmosphere can be generic and the food isn?t exactly Michelin starred, but it serves a purpose.

Louisa.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This whole thread was always going to be all about

> "look at me, I'm so down-to-earth, everyone else

> is an idiotic snob/wannabe"

>

> We all know there's not going to be any ridiculous

> petition, it's just about YOU, making the same old

> tedious point. Again and again.

>

> Finally you play your hand, with the same old

> snide insults that you so love to regurgitate.

>

> Thoroughly unpleasant character. I hope you vomit

> on your ?2.50 brexit beer.

Stop being a snob. Just because you live in your metropolitan bubble where apparently popping along to what was toastED, was some sort of bargain basement guilty pleasure. Get into the real world.

Louisa.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> So are Weatherspoon's exempt from High rents and

> rates. ??

>

> Food. ?

>

> Answer. Greed.

Is it possible that

(a) they pay more for their beer, Wetherspoons pay less because they are much larger and can negotiate discounts

(b) they have better qualified kitchen staff and they pay them more

© they use better quality ingredients that cost more

> DulwichFox.

Loutwo Wrote:

> Abe_froeman Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Lots of snobs posting in this thread.

>

>

> Doesn?t surprise me with all the Clapham intake.

> Then again, Clapham has a couple of spoons, and

> they do very well for themselves. Maybe it?s just

> the wannabe nature of some locals. They?d like to

> aspire to Mayfair, but can barely afford Clapham

> or Battersea, so get stuck round here. Doesn?t

> mean the rest of us should suffer and pay

> astronomical prices though.

>

> As I?ve said previously, spoons serves a wide

> audience, it would naturally perform well around

> here. It may even boost the night life culture.

>

> Louisa.

Erm, there are no Wetherspoons in Clapham.

Also, the myth that spoons buy all their beer just before it is about to go out of date is exactly that- a myth. They buy their beer at very competitive prices, because of their buying power. there is about 800 spoons, breweries etc actually want spoons to stock their beer, so sell them their beer cheaply.

"If not, what is the justification for all other outlets charging so much for Beer, Spirits and Food. ? "

I don;'t think it's greed, I think it's more the way so many pubs are structured.

If you're a tied landlord you have to buy your beer from the freeholder who , more often than not these days, is not a brewer and so has to buy the beer themselves first from a brewer or maybe even an agent of the brewer. The more people that have to buy the beer before it is sold to the customer, the more expensive it gets.

Spoons are able to buy beer direct from the brewers and have the purchasing power of 750 pubs. They will be getting a much better deal on their beer than most other landlords could dream of.

But perhaps they also pay a living wage?

DulwichFox Wrote:

> So are Weatherspoon's exempt from High rents and

> rates. ??

>

> Food. ?

>

> Answer. Greed.

>

> DulwichFox.

Loutwo Wrote:

> Stop being a snob. Just because you live in your... blah blah.. look at me everyone...

I'm not really a snob. OK, I did once live in Clapham (in a grim flatshare in 2000), and it's true that we can afford to eat out at reasonably nice places.. but I also use Wetherspoons, Nandos, McDonalds, curry houses, etc.

There is a valid point to be made about social cleansing, but instead of making it constructively (which you're obviously more than capable of doing), you repeat the same old insults, provocations, and general bitterness.

JohnL Wrote:

> The price in Peckham Spoons is much cheaper than Chancery Lane Spoons

Yeah, central London Wetherspoons aren't particularly cheap. Kentish Drovers/Fox on Hill/Capitol/Postal Order all seem to be the same price, through.

Humdinger Wrote:

> Also, the myth that spoons buy all their beer just

> before it is about to go out of date is exactly

> that- a myth. They buy their beer at very

> competitive prices, because of their buying power.

> there is about 800 spoons, breweries etc actually

> want spoons to stock their beer, so sell them

> their beer cheaply.

Actually to be fair to Wetherspoons I'm much less likely to get a bad pint in there than some other places and as they also sell so much the beer it probably isn't stored for very long before it's drunk.

The quality of their beer isn't an issue.

DuncanW Wrote:

> As much as you might like a Wetherspoons in ED, I

> don?t think pubs come into being via a petition

> normally, do they?

Yes but clearly that's not what this thread is really about, is it?

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> KidKruger Wrote:

> -----

> > Same kind of responses naturally.

>

> If that's aimed at me in some capacity - I plead

> guilty for fuelling the flames/feeding the troll.

> I can't help it.

Yes you can help it. But you choose to take a valid thread off topic to feed your own ego. This is a genuine thread to discuss a way of diversifying the nightlife culture of the neighbourhood. Nothing more, nothing less. I wanted to gauge opinion on throwing a chain pub in the mix to see if it would appeal. That?s all. But thanks for your contributions anyway, very constructive.

Louisa.

Loutwo Wrote:

> you choose to take a valid thread off topic to feed your own ego. This

> is a genuine thread to discuss a way of diversifying the nightlife culture of the

> neighbourhood. Nothing more, nothing less.

Loutwo Wrote:

> Maybe it?s just the wannabe nature of some locals. They?d like to

> aspire to Mayfair, but can barely afford Clapham or Battersea, so get stuck round here.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Loutwo Wrote:

> -----

> > you choose to take a valid thread off topic to

> feed your own ego. This

> > is a genuine thread to discuss a way of

> diversifying the nightlife culture of the

> > neighbourhood. Nothing more, nothing less.

>

>

> Loutwo Wrote:

> -----

> > Maybe it?s just the wannabe nature of some

> locals. They?d like to

> > aspire to Mayfair, but can barely afford Clapham

> or Battersea, so get stuck round here.

Could you point me to a single thread on this forum which does not deviate off point? If you fail to notice a sarcastic comment said in jest and use it as a tool to discredit my thread, then don?t bother contributing. Or, if you want to troll, maybe take a look at some other threads, if not nearly all of them, which have also been dragged off topic at some point. Thanks.

Louisa.

Loutwo...

You have made reference a number of times to the 'diversity' of the Wetherspoons clientele. How are they are more 'diverse' than the clientele in existing local pubs?

I'll concede that the two crowds may be different from each other - so the overall diversity of local pub goers, in aggregate, may be improved with a spoons in the area - but how specifically is a spoons more diverse in itself?

I reckon many pubs would be hard pushed to match the diversity of the EDT to be honest....

ed_pete Wrote:

> Anyone been to The Castle lately ? Isn't that

> more of a C2DE-type establishment ?

What the Frigging hell is a C2DE-type establishment ?

Foxy

ETA.

Last time I used The Castle, I went to the Loo and in the back passage to the Loo

my foot went through a hole in the rotten floor covered with a piece of rotten carpet.

Not been back since. #Dump

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Tim Martin is an idiot. If you don't see it,

> you're an idiot too!

Typical Remainiac response- you cannot win an argument so you resort to personal insults.