Car broken into twice! Has anyone else had problems near the train station?

Does anyone have any advice about preventing car thieves? A few months ago our car was broken into on Melbourne Grove. They smashed the small back window and got away with the radio and cheap GPS both of which were hidden under the seat. Neither were expensive models and I thought I'd learnt my lesson and it was my fault for leaving valuables in the car.

I've been driving around for a few months without a car radio and yesterday bought a new and relatively expensive Sony. I installed it late last night and was sitting in my car for an hour outside my house at 11pm working out how to fit all the wires together.

I could not believe it when I woke up this morning and came down to find the base unit of the radio gone! They seem to have bent the driver's door at the top to open the car.

I'm now a bit paranoid - Were they watching me? It seems unlikely that a few hours after I put in my new radio my car gets broken into again? How can I stop this happening or should I just accept driving around without a car radio? Apart from anything it looks silly having a big gap in the dashboard with wires hanging out of it!

My car radio has a front panel that just unclips which you simply take indoors with you.

and refit when you go out. Takes just a second to refit.

Many radios have this feature.

The radio cannot be operated without this as it contains the radio buttons.

Looking into the car, the radio shows a yellow/black Hazard stripe where the buttons should be.

Puts people off breaking into your car.

Fox.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My car radio has a front panel that just unclips

> which you simply take indoors with you.

The strange thing was the front panel was unclipped and I hid it out of site in the glove box. There's no way they could have known the front panel was in the car until they broke in and searched the glove box. I was intending to always bring it inside but I wanted to program it this morning so left the front panel and manual in the glove box.

sliding_doors Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > My car radio has a front panel that just

> unclips

> > which you simply take indoors with you.

>

> The strange thing was the front panel was

> unclipped and I hid it out of site in the glove

> box. There's no way they could have known the

> front panel was in the car until they broke in and

> searched the glove box. I was intending to always

> bring it inside but I wanted to program it this

> morning so left the front panel and manual in the

> glove box.

Must admit I tend to leave my panel in the car. Out of sight.

I suppose there is no stopping some people.

Must be a real pain if they smash your car windows to gain access.

Suspect it will be the same people each time.

Probably doing other cars as well.

Might be possible to install Hidden camera/recorder. (needs to be 12v)

Or get an alarm fitted..

Fox

They are chancers and take a punt that you have left the panel in the car. My daughter is paranoid about her GPS and cleans the little circle stains off the windscreen where the holder goes and she never leaves anything in her car. She has never had it broken into. I personally think people hang about watching as well. We are all so predictable in our habits.

99% of radios/ cd s that have the detachable fronts are always kept in the car - usually under the front seat. Most skaggies know this. if your car is French, then a child of 3 could bend the top of the door back to pop to lock I'm afraid.

99% of radios/ cd s that have the detachable fronts are always kept in the car - usually under the front seat. Most skaggies know this. if your car is French, then a child of 3 could bend the top of the door back to pop to lock I'm afraid.

Do you think he would have still stolen the radio unit if he had been unable to find the detachable front in the car? After breaking into the car and not being able to find the front cover do they just give up and move to the next one or take the base unit anyway.

I still can't decide whether it was a co-incidence that the same night I re-installed the radio my car was broken into a second time.

For people who asked my car is a VW Polo

Yes they would steal the head unit without the panel.

No it is not a coincidence scum bag thieves often return to harvest the new stuff you have just bought to replace their haul.

So there's no point buying a replacement as they'll just keep taking even the base unit?

I guess I'm doomed to be forever with radio-shaped gap in my dashboard - unless I alarm the car which is probably quite expensive and difficult.

I could buy an old radio on gumtree but I've always had one which connects to an ipod/iphone as that's how I use it most of time. There must be an easier way to stop them. People should be able to have a radio in their car! Even if it is a medium priced one at ?50.

is there anyway you can fit some sort of motion car alarm? and put a sticker on the car saying so?

i dont know why i'm giving advice about cars - i know nothing. But seemed to make the most sense.

I've had two radios stolen but both times it's been my fault (left the window open a touch or doors unlocked -doh)

if it's the same person coming back they'll believe you've invested in an alarm!

I live on Copelston Road and used to cycle to ED train station and catch the train from there. Although locked up, I had my back wheel nicked, then my bike was stolen, and then my next bike was stolen (I now use a kyrptonite lock!).

I now cycle to Peckham Rye station, and nothing has ever happended to my bike (or my person). Even on the rare occasions I have left it overnight.

I personally believe the entire are around ED station/Grove Vale/Melbourne Grove is a hot spot for crime. You only need to read the threads on the forum about people being attacked, mugged, break ins and the like.

Moral of the story: Save yourself! Move to Peckham :)

x

Hi All. Just to say my flatmate and I both had our bikes stolen today.. They were locked to the railings in our front yard so the thieves must have done a bit of research and come with the right tools. You may want to take your bikes inside for the next week or so, if you live in this area...

If anyone knows of anyone selling a bike at a reasonable price, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

Cheers