Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

Phew this getting like Chines Whispers! FACTS!

Council officials have told me that they met with the developers, raised a numbers of serious issues (which I believe were identified by residents and ward cllrs) and are awaiting the developer to resubmit their plans taking into account these issues.

On this basis it probably wont go to committee until Nov/Dec at the earliest.

Reply to Louisa.

Well and truly satisfied, don?t need more parking and traffic in ED, it was a lovely quite suburban area, Until it started to get overcrowded, and Houses and flats allowed to take the place of pubs and businesses, with no where to park their cars.

VERY PLEASED NOW.

East Dulwich is not a Town "YET"

Will keep on objecting to things that affect, Residents and my way of Life.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hope everyone is now satisfied with this

> ridiculous outcome. We had the opportunity to

> attract a major high street name into the area, in

> a time of recession when many town centres up and

> down the country suffering badly with empty

> premises. Be careful what you wish for cos' you

> just might get, and guess what you have, nothing!

> So typical of people in ED objecting to anything

> and everything - and this is the result. Very

> angry right now.

>

> Louisa

Agree Louisa.... I hope we don't see a run down unused high street where locals have to travel to areas that have the retail outlets they need. Short term vision sometimes leads to long term degeneration of an area. A great area that could be run down as retailers are scared away... Shame.

Serena2012 Wrote:

> A Waitrose is just what Lordship Lane needs. I am

> still disappointed that the M&S Planning

> application was unsuccessful but would be

> delighted if the eyesore that is Iceland was

> replaced with Waitrose.

The 'eyesore' that is Iceland is mostly a glass shopfront. The real eyesore is what is above the shop. That is really ugly. How would that change if Waitrose or anyone else occupied the shop space?

To Serena2012,

SNOB, SNOB, SNOB! Are you serious?

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of local people who need Iceland to manage their household budgets and many excellent staff there that need to keep their jobs.

Perhaps you don't have a neighbours, like I do, who shop there.

Cheers anyway.

Just because someone wants an M&S store in place of Iceland doesn't make them a snob. Please stop making this a class issue. I would prefer M&S and I don't regard myself as a snob - I'm no Andrew Mitchell, far from it.

Iceland isn't some idealistic workers' co-operative - it's just as highly capitalist an organisation as M&S.

How true. A sad tendency to knee jerk a class based comment based on wanting to see one capitalist retailer rather than another capitalist retailer.

The Co-op will still be there. Sadly they do not sell frozen Greggs sausage rolls, which will be a great loss.

Just been in to Iceland (2 packets of pancakes and onion and garlic dip), the notice on the door just thanks people for their support and says that they have no news re the M&S takeover. No date for closure mentioned.

Yes the Co-op will still be there, but I find it to be on par with corner shop prices unless something's on a special deal. It's just too expensive if you're having to watch the pennies. Iceland is just about the last grocery store on LL catering for people on limited incomes. For that alone, it gets my vote.

Those that profess support for Iceland and cite the demand for its services and good from the poor and unsnobby elementsof Ed should take up their case with Iceland's Board. The Iceland Corporate Responsibility page on their website (http://www.iceland.co.uk/about-iceland/corporate-responsibility/ )states they support over 750 communities.

However, it seems they have decided the ED demographic trend is running against their offering. Their decision is undoubtedly based on a realistic commercial appraisal. Similarly M&S, if they do open a store on Lordship Lane will base their decision on a realistic commercial appraisal and understanding of the demographic trends of ED.

Wow. Capital letters and all.

I'm reading that Serena 2012 likes Waitrose, would have liked M&S, and doesn't like the aesthetics of the Iceland store (orange is a bit of a marmite colour after all).

And you're reading that she is a snob (thrice over), doesn't care about her neighbours that shop at Iceland, or about the people that work there (either that or she has a mysterious preference for employment oppurtunities created by Waitrose or M&S).

Am I missing something?

i*Rate Wrote:

> To Serena2012,

>

>

> SNOB, SNOB, SNOB! Are you serious?

> There are hundreds, maybe thousands of local

> people who need Iceland to manage their household

> budgets and many excellent staff there that need

> to keep their jobs.

> Perhaps you don't have a neighbours, like I do,

> who shop there.

>

> Cheers anyway.

You East Dulwich people do make me laugh. What happened to community spirit and support. Some local residents need shops like Iceland and others want waitrose. surely in times like these there is room for all levels of shopping requirements. You never know how long you can afford to shop in high end stores so do not knock the lower end as it might bite you in the butt......... :)

For the people who live close to icelands, its not who has the

shop or who takes it over, its the development of doing away

With a car park, and having some where for the tenants of the

new flats to park their cars, and deliveries.The councils

policy on flats and houses being built with nowhere to park

their cars, because they are supposed to notneed cars,

because we have such a good transport system in place, will

never work and is just causing more problems for local

residents, and is such rubbish, they need their heads

examining.

lets get some joined up thinking here...

challenges:

- some people want iceland to stay

- some people want an m&s / waitrose?

- most people want a police station locally

- the police though are selling their property on crystal palace road?http://search.knightfrank.com/rss120286

- the police are also planning to leave their premises on lordship lane

opportunity:

- retain iceland as is

- police downsize to crystal palace road

- police station on lordship lane is demolished to make space for new M&S / Waitrose