My Switch card's been cloned/copied/swiped

Mark

Mockney piers, as you have seen fit to ask Huguenot out on a lunch date within this thread, go to the *fuel supplier's name removed* garage and say to the assistant "selam" and see if he reacts. Or say "I'm looking for Centre for Egyptian studies at Dulwich College" and see if he reacts. Or just ask him if has scamming mates in Egypt. Your choice just as long as we have full report on this forum on your return.

Consider it done (in the, err future perfect tense?).

In all seriousness though i think the owner is probably as entitled as Kate was to defend himself, especially if one of his employees IS conducting criminal fraud on his premises, for which I imagine he could find him (or her...whatever *shakes head left and right in diva fashion*) at least partially responsible for in the eyes of the law.

If you want to go elsewhere for your petrol:

5 cheapest stations within 5 miles of "SE22" for Unleaded...

---------------------------------------------

Station : Shell/sainsburys Forest Hill, Stanstead Road, Forest Hill, London

Brand : Shell

Distance: 2.44 miles

Price : 85.9p

Updated : 28-02-2007

---------------------------

Station : Foxbeery Service Station, Brockley Road, Brockley, London

Brand : Esso

Distance: 2.94 miles

Station : Loampit Vale Express, Loampit Hill, Lewisham, London

Brand : Esso

Distance: 3.91 miles

Updated : 24-02-2007

Station : Shell/sainsburys Lewisham, Lewisham High Street, Lewisham, London

Brand : Shell

Distance: 4.19 miles

Station : Tesco Lewisham, Lewisham Road, Lewisham, London

Brand : Tesco

Distance: 4.46 miles

Alternatively sell your car and walk everywhere, much better for the environment.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Happy to go down there if others want to - I'm not

> going on my own though, they might beat me up! I

> don't even have a pointy hat, I wouldn't stand a

> chance.

The conversation would go something like this:

Mob - Did you clone our cards?

*fuel supplier's name removed* Fella - No

Mob - Oh. Sorry about that.

If the garage in question really do have a skimming issue they will be found out very quickly. The way this happens is: The stations card payment acquirer (more than likely Barclaycard or Streamline) will have received reports from Visa and/or Mastercard regarding the pattern of people that have used their cards at that particular garage and people that have had their cards skimmed.

The acquirer will then send a forensics investigator to look into what's happened on the site. If it turns out that there really is an issue then the merchant will be liable to pay for all fraud that has occurred as a result of the theft + fines dished out by the card schemes + forensics fees.

The merchant will then be elevated to a "Level 1" merchant status meaning from that point on the merchant will need to undergo an on-site audit on an annual basis to prove that they are PCI compliant (basically a security standard that any business that accepts cards for payment needs to be compliant with).

So rest assured EDF'ers the garage will be found out and no stake out is required. Although I still like the sound of a Steak out! ;-)

The way the banks over here deal with CC theft is poor. In NZ/OZ if your account is ripped off the bank gives you the money back immediately then investigates. Over here they investigate then give it back 6-8 weeks later. It's silly because ultimately it's never going to be the customers fault, but we have to suffer without the money for 6-8 weeks while the investigation goes on.

Quaywe (or is it colombo?)

you are right, the system here is diabolical.

My friends/colleagues will have to wait up to 12 weeks for a repayment. Was just told by one of the shopkeepers that he too had waitied 3 months to get his money back.I dont think alot of people will be able to buy steaks out, more like a cheap burger instead.