Assault on East Dulwich Grove

Totally agree with you Rosie which is why in my earlier post I asked people to think about what they write and perhaps take the emphasis away from what could be done by women to avoid it happening to them. The woman is the victim here, and whilst I totally accept that men are more likely to be robbed or violently attacked, they are not likely to be raped. The two are different crimes with different consequences.

Also agree with the above, no matter how sensitively framed, there is a risk that some of the comments could be interpreted by victims of violent crime as blaming of the victim. I currently live alone and like most people cannot afford taxis to my front door everytime I am out after dark. I take sensible precautions, but I also have the RIGHT to walk the streets unmolested. I suggest we all show the victim some respect and cease proving suggestions on how she might have prevented what happened to her.

Very well put.

reeko Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Also agree with the above, no matter how

> sensitively framed, there is a risk that some of

> the comments could be interpreted by victims of

> violent crime as blaming of the victim. I

> currently live alone and like most people cannot

> afford taxis to my front door everytime I am out

> after dark. I take sensible precautions, but I

> also have the RIGHT to walk the streets

> unmolested. I suggest we all show the victim some

> respect and cease proving suggestions on how she

> might have prevented what happened to her.

Hi Buddug

I was merely relaying an incident that happened to us of a slightly similar nature

I didn't mean any offence but just wanted to raise awareness as it was distressing

I'm aware of the power of words but my limited vocabulary stretched only to those I used

Regards

J

The attack sounds appalling.

The local East Dulwich Police team has anti attack alarms still in stock. If any East Dulwich ward resident would like one please email me with your details and address and I'll arrange delivery.

I'm also ensuring we get buy some more.

I know this isn't a solution but if it avoids a single further attack...

Hi johnlward. I know. But every time you read a rape story in the news, it always says 'she claimed to have been raped'. It gets many women's backs up. You never read: 'He claimed to have been mugged' or 'He claimed to have been beaten to a pulp'. It's always 'A man was mugged', or 'A man was beaten up' etc. And 'confronted' was a bit strong - like she was deranged or aggressive or something. Again casting doubt on the veracity of her story. I'm sure you didn't mean it to come across like that, but two of us 'wimmin' noticed it! Not to worry. I think it just shows how we do start to emulate how the press talks about these things. I know I do!

In fairness, you weren't there to see what happened.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't posted anything as it seems to have had the opposite effect as to why I posted in the first place

I only posted as my sister in law prompted me to

Don't think I'll be back anytime soon

Hi

Lets not lose sight of the original post here, Lets hope the police catch the man, who did this. My thoughts and prayers are with the victim of the assault. I walk too and from work often, and I am forever being warned by family, too be careful. However I will carry on walking too and and from work. I go to a class in Kings Cross every Thursday evening, and by the time I have arrived home, its normally around 11pm. Must say I do feel slightly uneasy, while I wait for the bus, that late. However it will not stop me from attending something I enjoy.

Johnlward wrote: 'In fairness, you weren't there to see what happened.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't posted anything as it seems to have had the opposite effect as to why I posted in the first place

I only posted as my sister in law prompted me to

Don't think I'll be back anytime soon'

Don't be silly. You've highlighted another incident which may well be linked to this recent awful attack, which is useful for us all to know. Don't let my rather pedantic observations get to you!

one word on prevention, if you are walking out late (male or female) stick to main (or more populated) streets, the better lit side of a street or walk right down the middle of the road - you'll hear a car if it comes.

You are not an easy target if you have to be dragged somewhere dark.

If where you live is the dark side of the road, talk to your neighbors/ your landlord to improve the lighting and always carry cab fare.

I confess that i've only lived in ED since having a baby so i've never been out past 11. I dont know how the streets feel at night or how well lit they are around these parts.

my grandmom had stories of walking thru the streets in the middle of the night in neighborhoods that no one would dream of doing now, its a time gone by.

Have to agree re self defense classes, esp for ladies. In my experience they give a false sense of security. The real world isn't like a nice safe class where every body wears pads and says sorry if they hurt you, however unintentionally. In reality most people, and I include men in this, have never been hit by anyone with intent to cause real pain. The shock of actually being punched in the head/face/groin etc causes the person to go into shock. They stop thinking. This is why the military train so hard, to stop one going into shock and keep oneself thinking. Best adive is to be aware of your surroundings and if one feels uncomfortable in any way either head for a shop/cafe etc where people are or in extremis make a lot of noise, no one likes noise, and use anything that comes to hand, aiming at groin, eyes, throat.

be safe people.

I'm a lower level belt in Shotokan Karate and we are expected

to be able to take a blow - sometimes hard enough to knock

you off your feet - supposedly shows you that if someone hits

you it's not something that hasn't happened before. We don't

wear pads, and to hold back on a female is seen as disrespect

(she'll thump you)

Relevent here is it certainly helps my confidence on the street but even

our instructor who I consider a bit over the top sometimes, says run away

as your first option and don't fight unless you can't do anything else.

mishadreams Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have to agree re self defense classes, esp for

> ladies. In my experience they give a false sense

> of security. The real world isn't like a nice safe

> class where every body wears pads and says sorry

> if they hurt you, however unintentionally. In

> reality most people, and I include men in this,

> have never been hit by anyone with intent to cause

> real pain. The shock of actually being punched in

> the head/face/groin etc causes the person to go

> into shock. They stop thinking. This is why the

> military train so hard, to stop one going into

> shock and keep oneself thinking. Best adive is to

> be aware of your surroundings and if one feels

> uncomfortable in any way either head for a

> shop/cafe etc where people are or in extremis make

> a lot of noise, no one likes noise, and use

> anything that comes to hand, aiming at groin,

> eyes, throat.

> be safe people.

I have to disagree with the above message strongly. Shotokan will not help you out there. How hard do you pressure test your technique? Do you have any Animal Day training? How do you respond when someone throws a punch etc that is not orthodox? Are you allowed to bite? Gouge? Stamp? Pull hair? What about ground work? Can you wrestle? Armlock? Choke?

I am notbtryingbto diss you or your class

But traditional martial arts are a complete irrelevance in a reality based confrontation. For more info do a google for Geoff Thompson. Incredible self defence teacher who pressure tests everything and forces you to prepare by reality based training.

Hi there, just wanted to share the following map that the Police have and that shows the log of crimes as recorded by them. Visit the site (http://www.police.uk/) and enter your postcode. Useful to get an idea of hotspots.

As others have said, I hope that the girl is getting support. As for justice, I would like to see some serious justice for such crimes. It's about time to have punishments that will act as a deterrent!