Just ran in to a thief in my hallway!! (oakhurst grove)

I have a team of roofers and painters at my house at the moment, I heard my son wake up on the mOnitor so went to get him and caught a young (20s), black guy outside his bedroom door, I got quite a fright and he said he was par of the roofing team and they needed to block access to my back door and I wont be able to get out for an hour, he went on to say he was trying to be quiet as he had a baby and he knew how hard it was to keep them asleep!! He then went out through the back door where he had come in (side gate unlocked as workmen in and out all day). Thankfully nothing of ours was stolen but he went through the painter's stuff in the garden and stole money..

Has really put the wind up me to be honest, wr were burgled almost a year ago.. Does not fill me with confidence that london is the place for me..

He was dressed in a blue parka (could have been black) and a hat.. I didn't pay a lot of attention and just wanted to get my son as was unnerved by the fact he was outside his nursery door and it all happened so quickly.

Have called the police but they said as he didn't steal anything from inside the house they would just take a report and not dispatch anyone.

Just to give you all a heads up really.

Sorry to hear that Strawbs...

Surely the roofing would confirm if he was with them..

Strange, I would of thought the police would take some finger prints.

Double check that nothing has been taken and make sure doors and windows are secure

and not been left unlooked..

Foxy.

Spoke to the roofers and the painters and it was 100% not them. Everyone was working on the top level of the scaffold no one even noticed him. He had told me that they needed to block access to my back door for an hour so I couldn't come out, 40 mins later after feeding my son I saw the painter and said the roofers need to block the door but not sure why they hadn't started yet! He said he thought it was odd so checked with the roofers with me and it wasn't them.

Police said as nothing stolen inside there was nothing they could do!

Awful. Terrifying. Can you keep your back door locked?

I would ask the workmen to make sure one of them has key to side gate and doesn't leave it open, and that bring in everything they need at one time so as not to leave it unlocked.

Up in Yorkshire where I come from you just get men armed with pick axe handles knocking on your door and when you answer they just walk into your home and help themselves. You can tackle them if you want to but you had better be sure you can beat them.

Compared with that London is a relative haven of tranquillity.

DulwichFox Wrote: fingerprints the police don't give a stuff

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to hear that Strawbs...

>

> Surely the roofing would confirm if he was with

> them..

>

> Strange, I would of thought the police would take

> some finger prints.

>

> Double check that nothing has been taken and make

> sure doors and windows are secure

> and not been left unlooked..

>

> Foxy.

Vilmos Wrote:

Ya Soft Southern Bastards!

> Up in Yorkshire where I come from you just get men

> armed with pick axe handles knocking on your door

> and when you answer they just walk into your home

> and help themselves. You can tackle them if you

> want to but you had better be sure you can beat

> them.

>

> Compared with that London is a relative haven of

> tranquillity.

Vilmos Wrote:

> Up in Yorkshire where I come from you just get men armed with pick axe handles knocking on your door

> and when you answer they just walk into your home and help themselves. You can tackle them if you

> want to but you had better be sure you can beat them.

Erm... buy a spy hole and don't answer the door if there are men armed with pick axe handles on the other side? Did you not ever consider that?

Vilmos Wrote:

> Up in Yorkshire where I come from you just get men

> armed with pick axe handles knocking on your door

> and when you answer they just walk into your home

> and help themselves. You can tackle them if you

> want to but you had better be sure you can beat

> them.

What ARE you talking about?

Hi Strawbs,

I would suggest if you don't have one, you have an alarm system put in (Martin at Security Masters is good). As well as peace of mind it acts as a deterent. It may be also worth talking to your neighbours about the break-in. Do you want me to raise it with the safer neighbourhoods team, as this burglar may have broken into other properties in the area.

I was truly sorry to read about your horrible experience.

Renata

We had a similiar experience a few weeks ago when hubby was alerted by one of our cats bolting out of the kitchen,

hubby, also in the kitchen, moved a couple of feet and saw a complete strangers staring at him from the dining room.

he had broken through a lean to door, smashed an internal glass door and walked through the house.

Lucky for us this same guy had entered another house further down Barry Road ( they had builders in at the time)

and had been disturbed and done a runner. The police already had been called as he also attempted to get into another house 2 doors away. Hubby remembered seeing police outside our house a few minutes earlier and went out side to get them and around 10 police officers and a dog charged into the house to arrest him. He was too drunk

to do anything and was later charged with burglary and got a suspended sentence.

Strawbs...

Very rarely do I respond to posts in here, just usually take a look at what's going on. I've already personally responded to you but feel I have to respond to a post by Vilmos, so apologies for using your distressing situation to have a rant.

Vilmos, what sort of comment is that ? Someone with a small child has been going about her business in what should be the privacy of her own home, and some low life opportunitist has entered her property to do "whatever" and have clearly been upsetting to your "neighbour" in a local area that is usually full of community spirit in times of need. Your comments are not helpful, nor sympatheitc, nor useful. This is not the yorkshireforum.co.uk, it is the eastdulwichforum.co.uk, so keep it real and have a bloomin heart for those who have had a distressing day.

End of rant.

@ strawbs, I'm glad the police finally came good and sent someone round, albeit eventually.

Strawbs Wrote:

> I have a team of roofers and painters at my house

> at the moment, I heard my son wake up on the

> mOnitor so went to get him and caught a young

> (20s), black guy outside his bedroom door, I got

> quite a fright and he said he was par of the

> roofing team and they needed to block access to my

> back door and I wont be able to get out for an

> hour, he went on to say he was trying to be quiet

> as he had a baby and he knew how hard it was to

> keep them asleep!! He then went out through the

> back door where he had come in (side gate unlocked

> as workmen in and out all day). Thankfully nothing

> of ours was stolen but he went through the

> painter's stuff in the garden and stole money..

>

> Has really put the wind up me to be honest, wr

> were burgled almost a year ago.. Does not fill me

> with confidence that london is the place for me..

>

>

> He was dressed in a blue parka (could have been

> black) and a hat.. I didn't pay a lot of attention

> and just wanted to get my son as was unnerved by

> the fact he was outside his nursery door and it

> all happened so quickly.

>

> Have called the police but they said as he didn't

> steal anything from inside the house they would

> just take a report and not dispatch anyone.

>

> Just to give you all a heads up really.

How awful Strawbs, lucky your son woke up, I hope you and your son are ok after such a distressing experience.